Painted miniatures rule

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Icedman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Icedman »

I have to agree with Zombie on this one; last league we increased our little BB group from 5 to 7 by adding 2 players that had never even looked at a GW game before (one of them paints the minis, but doesn't play, the other one had never seen the stuff). Couple that with how hard it is to actually get BB minis in Australia (i got my actual Chaos team 3 games before we finished the league), and you really won't pull many new players into the game.

The thing with BB is, despite what GW says, its actually THE easiest game to teach someone; only 4 stats, the 2 basic teams show the 2 primary sides to the game, the 'basic' and 'advanced' rules set (yea, i've seen the other threads about 'basic' vs 'advanced' rules), not throwing bucketfuls of dice, remembering who's got 2 wounds left, who's used their 1-shot kill machine, etc. Therefore, BB is more likely to pull in new players and KEEP them; and not all new players are painters (heck, the non-painter isn't even really interested in playing in the current league, but that might be because my Skaven bash his Humans into a bloody pulp every time we meet :D ), so some kind of rules set rewarding/penalising painted/unpainted figs would hurt the game in terms of bringing new talent in.

Unfortunately, Marcus deleted the actual point of the thread, so i never got to see the propositions, but as it seems to have turned into a discussion on painting vs no, I thought I'd have a say on that topic.

Reason: ''
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Yeah, i didn't notice he deleted all his posts from this thread. That is the most anal thing i've ever seen in an internet forum. Way to go Marcus.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Yeah, was a bit of a tosser of a thing to do wasn't it? Bad week, my apologies everyone.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Joaquim

Post by Joaquim »

At the end of the day the question is:
Do I want to play BB agaisnt umpainted figs or not?

I agree that painting can be good for stress... unless you have some 2 or 3 child (aged 6 to 10) around asking to paint also!!!!!!!!!
And if your results are.... like mine, it wouldn't be good for stress neither, because you just feel that you were losing time....

This can look weird to "painting people" but for us, "non painting people" the hard time doesn't start with the brush, it starts when you pick the fig and think: were does that damm thing starts, or ends? I was thinking of using 3 basic colours to my figs... but what damm colours will I use there and there?

But I admit that: painting isn't so hard after you started... is like making home repairs or something like it - the worst part is starting.
And I admit that even my poor goblins look better after I tried to paint them.... well, they look a little better than in metal, I mean/hope....

But, at the end of the day the question really is: what do you prefer? playing more coachs, and new coachs, without painted figs, or play only painted figs?

Of course playing painted figs is better, or looks better... but in my small league no team is halfway painted, and I don't see it to be a problem, at least we are playing!!

But if you really want to go for a "painted figs rule" I would start it by: "if a coach doesn't make any effort to".... perhaps the funniest coach (or one of the best) doesn't ahve the time/skill needed to actually paint his team... but surely he can do an effort - if YOU don't fall on the floor :lol: :D :lol: :D , that's it!!...

Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

I like to have painted figures, but at the speed I paint it will be a while before the full team is done :(

In our league it is a bonus at the moment if you are fielding the correct figs so I guess i'm ahead on that basis even with only one painted player :)

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I just hate playing with unpainted minis, just about to start painting my mad orc team seeing as we got a gap in the rain so I could take em outside and undercoat them.

Icedman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Icedman »

Yeah, playing with/against painted minis is really nice; my Chaos team played their last 3 games fully pianted....

But the way I see it (maybe coz we've had 2 use stand-ins for just about every game we play :oops: ), playing with what you've got is fine, as long as you're willing to cut me some time-slack while I ask you who's where every turn.

Painted, accurate minis are definately good, but AFAIC they're just the icing on the rather sweet (or maybe bitter) game of BB.

MattiasF

Post by MattiasF »

I ran i league back in -98 where we all agreed upon this rule to encurage ppl to paint their models. It not very punitive and easy to use. You still can play with a few unpainted models, but in the long run your FF will suffer.

And just to empishise, this is a house rule. That means that I will not force anyone of you to use this. We liked it.
Playing with unpainted models is not encuraged. At the start of the game (before anything else), roll 2D6. Teams with '1' in Fan Factor does not roll. If the sum is equal or less then the number of unpainted/unrepresentative models (including Apothecaries, but excluding Head Coach, Assisting Coaches and Cheerleaders), One of the teams Fan Factor moved over to 'Annoyed Fans'. The Fans does not like to watch crappy players! The Annoyed Fans counts towards Team Rating, but may not in any way be used as a real Fan Factor, as the Fans stays home in discust. If the roll was 10+ you may transfer back one Annoyed Fan to the Fan Factor.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

You still don't understand. As soon as you help someone, you're punishing someone else. The choice of words doesn't change the fact that any house rule that encourages painted minis is in fact a punitive rule.

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

and four pages later i still don't understand why some people think it's so damn hard to just paint 16 stinking miniatures in a mediocre fashion...

16!

a blind monkey with one arm and no talent can do that in one night for pete's sake!

iron chef kosher
Joaquim

Post by Joaquim »

and four pages later i still don't understand why some people think it's so damn hard to just paint 16 stinking miniatures in a mediocre fashion...

16!
Well, that I really cann't explain.... for that you have to see me painting!!....

Actually painting to a bad standard should be fast... if only I knew how!!!

I can try to explain: do you know that dry brushing thing? You undercoat it in black, just drybrush it with some colours et voilà - a good playing fig?!? Well, I cann't do it... :o I would love to, but I just cann't, so I have to do it the harder way - try to paint it "right", and try, and try, and try... until I give up - then the fig is painted!!.... :roll:

Actually I have some 20 figs painted, but I'm also painting 2 teams for my older sons.... so.... no team painted yet....

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

at least you're trying... the majority of the anti-painting rule lobby seems just plain lazy...

the worst paintjob in the world is an improvement over bare metal.

iron chef kosher
Joaquim

Post by Joaquim »

at least you're trying... the majority of the anti-painting rule lobby seems just plain lazy...
But I have a big advantage.... I do not intend to take my figs near a "painter" gamer... who would :lol: :) :D :lol: by all the floor....
Or worst would look at them and not even laught....

:lol:

Well, actually.... if I get a way to go to Nottingham.... perhaps the other coach lost his focus.... he laughts, I win... it's fair.... :)

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

anyone who laughs at your honest best efforts isn't the kind of person you probably want to play games with anyway... and may deserve a good potch more than he knows....

iron chef kosher
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Joaquim wrote:But I have a big advantage.... I do not intend to take my figs near a "painter" gamer... who would :lol: :) :D :lol: by all the floor....
Now I'm a sh#t painter and no one has ever been rude about my efforts - and there are some really talented guys in our league.

In my experience good paint jobs get praised, bad ones ignored.

Ian