Encouraging more scoring

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bjcantwell
Rookie
Rookie

Encouraging more scoring

Post by bjcantwell »

I'm thinking of starting a little league with some buddies and was trying to come up with ideas to open the game up a tad and move away from the 2-1 grind as the optimum strategy... or at least reward team that take a chance to score.

A couple of ideas I was tossing around in my head (could be used singly or in any combination)

1) Give SPP for "assists" - a player that passes the ball to a player who scores a TD in the same turn gets an assist and is awarded a SPP. Assist could be broadened to include hand offs if the player was required to make an agility roll in order to reach the player who scores the TD (e.g. if you are required to dodge past an opponent to reach the scorer, you would get the SPP, but if you just ambled up unopposed and handed off the ball, no love for you)

2) Award 4 SPP for a TD instead of 3 SPP - Despite being the nominal point of the game, TD's are only a little more valuable than casualties. This reinforces the team build to crunch the opponents players and score a minimum number of times, even for teams that could potentially score more.

3) Allow a team that wins by more than a single TD to roll twice for MVP and choose which of the two players selected gets the award.

Any other good thoughts? Am I the only one who would like to see more risk taking?

Later

Brian

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

just skew your league scoring to give more points per touchdown or something

dont need to be messing with the game rules for that

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Problem is that it's generally the agility teams who will benefit from these sort of changes. Slow teams will fall behind in the skill (and win) stakes if you make the 2-1 grind less of an option.

A counter balance to this could be to give an SPP for a KO, maybe 3 for a CAS and 5 for a TD.

But I think that LRB 5 has gone a long way to make it less of an option to "reliably" go for the 2-1, invest in some wrestle and fend.

bjcantwell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bjcantwell »

Definitely not looking to give the agility teams a big boost, but hoping to encourage players to take a few more risks (by upping rewards). It seems that the very safe and conservative tactics are dominating the day. As it stands it seems that players are willing to just try and get their SPP through casualties as they slowly and safely move up the field.

Part of this is that I think I'll get my buddies more interested in a BB league if it's more chaotic and less staid. We play mostly historical games, so BB would be for those evenings when we want something different. If we want to plod slowly and methodically across the field, we play Roman legions or Renaissance pike blocks :)

Brian

Cracol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cracol »

The only problem I can see is that even though you don't like a 2-1 grind some teams don't have much of an option, and the points you're suggesting seem to favour those agility teams that are more likely to try and score a shed load anyway.

Have you ever tried doing a league without the grinders? I know this takes something away from the game but could encourage the "beautiful game".

Another option could be awarding the grinding teams with 4spp for a td and the agility teams 3spp for a cas to even it up a bit. Although I can see this being a pain to sort out in itself.

Personally I think it's difficult to implement a system that encourages lots of scoring without penalizing the strengths of some teams.

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Part of this is that I think I'll get my buddies more interested in a BB league if it's more chaotic and less staid.
I don't know if anyone has tried it, but maybe using the old 3rd edition handicap system (cards) with the LRB5 rules might be an option-they'd certainly make for a more chaotic game...

Lictor
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Lictor »

Our league offers a simple bonus point system.

Beat your opponent by more then 2 TD and you get extra points for the ladder.

Similarly, winner of Cas get's a bonus point(s).

Fiddle with SPP's and you will merely favour some teams over others.

When you are snorting cocaine from the ass of a whore, you can't help but wonder about her hopes and her dreams.
Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

Tear up their rosters and tell them they have to create an elf team?

Seriously though, if people are picking grind teams, and playing grind strategies, maybe thats because thats how they find BB fun? If they wanted to score all over the place they'd be playing woodies or skaven.

MerchantDragon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MerchantDragon »

I'm thinking of starting a little league with some buddies and was trying to come up with ideas to open the game up a tad and move away from the 2-1 grind as the optimum strategy... or at least reward team that take a chance to score.
Which teams do you (and they) play?

If you are looking for more risk taking/touchdowns you could ask some of the coaches to try:

Chaos Pact
Goblin
Halfling
Skaven
Underworld
Vampire

Tripleskull
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Tripleskull »

I have played in a league that alowed the coach to pick the MVP if he won the game. This could be modified to win by two TDs and you get to choose the MVP.

The atvantages is:

- You motivate people to take the chance and score more

- Even though you might see agile team winning by two TDs way more often that bashy teams, the bashy team benefit way more from choosing MVPs. Obvius examples are BOBs and long beards.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

You could also put in a bonus for scoring 2+ TDs and losing/tying, or 3+ and winning. It doesn't have to be a lot. Say, one extra roll to gain FF. So if the score is 2-1, nothing happens, but if it's 3-2, the winner rolls for FF twice, and the loser rolls once like he lost and once like he won. If it's a 2-2 tie, everybody "wins" as far as FF is concerned, but if it's a 1-1 tie, nothing happens. Or you could simplify it further and say "roll FF like you won and add +10k winnings if you scored 2TDs, even if you tied/lost."

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

What about doing a league structure with points as follows?

Win:10
Tie:4
Lose:2
Forfeit/concession:0

TD:2
Cas:1

You might want to make it only SPP generating cas to avoid people going foul crazy, but i creates an inetersting structure and a win is worth more than 2 draws whilst a draw is only double a loss so it encourages people to go for the big wins.

Otake
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Otake »

I once thought of the following rule (never tested) :

Once per game, to avoid Ball Control, you can concede the actual drive and give the TD the the other team. It is awarded randomly to a player of the opposing team.

In addition, at the end of the match, if the opposing team has not also conceded a drive during the match, it gets a second MVP.

There were great discussions about also throwing rocks at the conceding team if they were still largely the same number as their opponents.