Tabletop Etiquette for Friendly Leagues

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I have some coaches who love the 4-minute rule, some who don't care (me) and some who can't handle that kind of structure. So I figure I'll leave it up to the ones playing the game.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

That actually works for us.... We go "by the book" unless both coaches agree.... So, on days when we need to finish and get to important RL challenges, we stay on the clock.... On other days, at the agreement of the coaches, we don't....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

This sounds like a very specific set of rules for a very specific set of players.

To be honest I dont think I've ever been in a situation where sportsmanship has been prescribed in such a fashion, nor have I been in a situation where it would have helped anything. Maybe I'm lucy but I've found that people like to sort their own agreements out at the start of a game or as they get to know each other. The few players who this doesnt work for tend to have to be baby-sat through their games.

The fact that lots of my gaming experience comes from playing other kids at 40k in a GW store really should put that into context ;)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Wanchor wrote:Incomprehensible. The pressure to make the right play in four minutes is an important part of the game, aside from the need not spend five hours playing a single match.
We dropped the 4-min rule years ago, and yet we still regularly finish games inside 2 hours. I find it incomprehensible that people need the 4-minute rule in the book so that they can finish a game in under 3.

And the "touch models" rule is one I'd never play with, especially as sometimes (especially with similar/same models for different players) I'n need to look that them to see skills etc. ("Ah, that's Blitzer #5, the Guard one").

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

SillySod wrote: Maybe I'm lucy
Ha! Knew it.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Darkson wrote:And the "touch models" rule is one I'd never play with, especially as sometimes (especially with similar/same models for different players) I'n need to look that them to see skills etc. ("Ah, that's Blitzer #5, the Guard one").
Yeah. Maybe I should word it:

Feel free to touch players, push them make sure they're in the right square, turn them around to see their number or whatever, but once you've started moving a player, your opponent may insist that that's your guy. If you're not sure how hard something would be, run it out loud in front of your opponent without moving them. It's best to phrase it as a hypothetical or conditional, but your opponent should give you some latitude.

You should be willing to let your opponent take the current action back if no dice have been rolled, or started any other actions, and you both agree where the player started his turn.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mage75
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mage75 »

Sadly, I have commished before and a seemingly nice bunch of blokes turned very nasty very quickly. Some were close mates, some were not. It was extremely disappointing and frustrating, and consumed far more hours of my time than a board game should. I can definitely see the benefit of having a conduct guideline like this, even though some of the protagonists in my league's disintegration did not.

Upshot - league broke apart, and now we have rules similar to those listed. Essentially, it's by the rulebook unless explicitly stated, and be nice. If you can't be nice, be discreet and talk to the commish before blowing your stack in a public manner.

You'd think we we're playing for sheep stations, yet we were playing for an imaginary trophy. Absurd really.

And my stance now is that if you can't abide by the rules, you can be the commish of your own league, and all the very best luck to you. Seems to work well for us now, and they are a great bunch of coaches.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

nice thing about testing LRB6 is that rules as written (for now)

As far as figs go, unless:
you don't like the guy
it's an important game
it's the playoffs

take back moves (darn I meant to move this guy first and I did not make any die rolls mind if I take care of that?), bring up a supporting guy for a block (he can say NO, so ask anyway)

Most importantly:
THERE IS NO CHEATING IN BLOOD BOWL
(cheating is defined as getting caught doing something wrong) Opps did I miscount his movement, my bad.

You must foul at least once a half. It should be part of the turnover sequence:
If you failed to foul your opponent last turn it is a turnover.

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

If you failed to foul your opponent last turn it is a turnover.

It is anyway, if you declare that you are done (and didnt foul that turn) and your opponent is next so... what's the point ? :?:

Otherwise: maybe it's good to set some of those rules in stone. I dont think I, personally, need them. Except maybe playing faster on tournaments... :) I really want to finish in 1.5 hours, but most of the time I really need 2.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

JaM wrote:If you failed to foul your opponent last turn it is a turnover.

It is anyway, if you declare that you are done (and didnt foul that turn) and your opponent is next so... what's the point ? :?:
meaning your turn 1 end (you did not foul), opponent's turn 2 ends, begining of your turn 2; did you foul last turn? oops no, turn over sucka, "in a perfect game"

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup