Bonus for Kicking Team in Overtime

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Bonus for Kicking Team in Overtime

Post by Kort »

Asperon Thorn wrote:Lighten up and have a beer, Kort.
I just had one so you caught me at the right moment :smoking:

Your point of view is perfectly valid, thanks for sharing. I do not think this is the direction Blood Bowl is currently headed for though. The current rules are pretty tame compared to what they used to be.

Reason: ''
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

I would suggest -- in overtime, reverse the order of setups. In other words, the kicking team sets up SECOND, not FIRST, and hence can see the offensive setup before they decide how to deploy.

Alternately, the idea of making all overtimes start with a blitz kickoff result could work. The fact that, on a blitz turn, players in tackle zones cannot take an action would help to balance this. Knowing a blitz was coming, the receiving team could attempt to put a tackle zone on as many players as possible of the kicking team.

Milo

dreenan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dreenan »

I would go with Asperon Thorn.
Coin Flip decides the begin of Overtime.

In my opinion there are too many people which want to change too many rules/skills/teams anyway. :wink:

"But for now I´m going to beat a God senseless"
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

We dice to see who kicks off in OT (coaches throw a die each highest chooses).

I've been there a few times whilst WE... did not like it, should have won anyway.

I've been there many times as Chaos... enjoyed it, extra turns to squidge things (lost twice in OT, showboating groan!)

Humans are proving hard to master but as they get up to speed OT calls.

Most of the coaches enjoy the sudden death of OT and watching the face of dispair when it all goes wrong. Or the face of the other dispair when it's how the !"£%$ am I supposed to stop the WE!

As we are playing in a win rated challenge ladder, OT is important to decide winners.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

Maybe a dice role with FAME?

JPS
Experienced
Experienced

Post by JPS »

Seems to be 3 good proposals:

1) Kick/Receive/Defer - Simple and elegant, easy to incorporate, allows for strategy during regulation.

2) 2 x 4-Turn "Halves," each team guaranteed (at least?) one kick and one receive - Straight forward; hurts slower teams, but most slow teams are bashy, and should be winning the attrition battle by OT, so advantages appear to even out. Possible downside is that OT is guaranteed to be lengthy time-wise as opposed to possibly being wrapped up in a couple turns.

3) Offense sets up first - Also simple and easy, and it sounds like those who are trying it are happy with it. Perfect Defense could be used as is, converted to "Quick Snap for Defense" or other possibility (maybe both teams get a re-roll, instead).

I imagine the best fit for each league will come down to the each league's individual preferences and requirements. As a commissioner, I plan on instituting option 1 for my league (which only plays OT in playoffs).

For those interested, there wasn't a problem in the NFL until 1994, when the kickoff was moved from the 35-yard line to the 30-yard line. See http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... issue.html and http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_11_08_04.html. The kickoff spot was moved sepcifically to give the receiving team better field position and increase overall scoring.

- JPS