Turnmarker - Ups I forgot ...

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Re: Turnmarker - Ups I forgot ...

Post by voyagers_uk »

bouf wrote:
Darkson wrote:More sensible rule is to just ignore IP completely. Just remind your opponent he's forgotten to move it.
Blasphemer!
Come on Bouf.... Man Up! and quit behaving like a jilted ex-girlfriend - out for revenge...

Reason: ''
Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Cirrus the Blue
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Cirrus the Blue »

DoubleSkulls wrote:Unless things have changed a lot since I played in Europe then IP is unheard of at tournaments there, and also in Australia. Leagues vary more with some liking the "fun" of IP. I think the rule sucks and would drop it altogether.
Honestly, I feel the same way. I've never understood the reason why people still use the rule, not to mention why it's still even in the rulebook. After all, what would you rather do - win by using good strategy and a little good fortune and have an enjoyable and tense match between yourself and your opponent, or win by forcing your opponent to forfeit all 3 of his re-rolls plus 5 of his turns per half, essentially winning by default and both of you leaving the table in a sour mood beyond the game? I tell ya, I'm for the former. :roll:

The only time I used IP in the past decade was a few years ago when my opponent demanded it and I knew he wasn't experienced enough to remember it each and every turn, himself, and it bit him in the butt pretty fiercely in the end. ;)

Now, if both players agree to it, sure, have at 'er. But it's best to leave it out altogether if one or the other doesn't want to use it, especially in terms of new players. Actually, a lot of new players who've been forced to use the IP have turned sour on the game as a result which is rather unfortunate. Like others here, I just remind my opponent and they do the same. The game's already unforgiving enough without janking your opponent's turns. :P

- Cirrus

Mr. Nuffle
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mr. Nuffle »

Cirrus,

Perhaps the best reply yet.
Thank you for your input - and the way you wrote it.

Cirrus the Blue
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Cirrus the Blue »

Arkius wrote:Cirrus,

Perhaps the best reply yet.
Thank you for your input - and the way you wrote it.
Cheers for that, Arkius! :) I'm happy to know I was able to contribute so positively to the thread.

- Cirrus

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

I learned to play using the IP rule. The guy who taught me to play was notorious for forgetting to move his turn marker while caught up in the game, so I regularly took away his re-rolls, and occasionally lost one myself. I played in a different league recently and was told that people were cut-throat about IP. I entered every game saying, "I won't call IP on you unless you make it a point to call it on me. I'll remind you to move your turn marker. If you call an IP on me, instead of doing likewise, I'll revert to being an ass about it." Only a few players insisted on using the IP roll. They lost more re-rolls than I did. They stopped.

I understand why the IP rule exists, but I agree with others that it's more fun to win/lose on merit and dice than by forcing people to lose re-rolls. They're rare enough for most teams as it is.