Flagellants

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Flagellants

Post by mattgslater »

Imperial Flagellant Teams
0-16 Layman 6/3/3/6 Thick Skull GS 40k
0-1 Fanatic 5/6/3/7 Ball & Chain, No Hands, Secret Weapon S 70k
0-4 Zealot 6/3/3/7 Dauntless, Frenzy, Jump Up GS 80k
0-2 Sigmarite Priest 6/3/3/8 Hypnotic Gaze, Nerves of Steel, Stand Firm GPS 100k
0-2 Flagellant 6/4/2/7 Frenzy, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull GS 120k
TRR: 70k

WDYT? This is inspired by the thread on Werewolf teams as another way to look at a Frenzy-heavy list. Like the MA5/ST6 Fanatic? It's a pretty serious downgrade, but at least it'd be fun, and it's not like an angry guy with a flail is a match for a 50-lb ball of iron or a Plague Censer. Or is MA4/ST7 the only way to go? Or 5/7 @ 80k? Also, is AV6/Thick Skull fluffy for a layman in a Flagellant cult? I figure it's better than a Halfling and not as good as a Hobgoblin, so it's probably about 40k with an extra category access. Personally, I think AV6/Guard would be hilarious. The Hypnogaze is intended as a Frenzy-aid, but it's AG3, so it's kind of unreliable even by Hypnogaze standards. Nerves and Stand Firm is because Sigmar's Priests are like the Space Marine Chaplains of WFB. Maybe instead Disturbing Presence and a skill that negates Disturbing Presence, Foul Appearance, Prehensile Tail and Tentacles?

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Flagellants

Post by Wanchor »

GS on the linemen is probably too much, but it's not like I've tried it out. How would the team look at 150TV?

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

The team would have very poor skill retention because of the bottom-barrel AV. So S access wouldn't be all that huge a deal, much like M access doesn't mean much on a Rotter.

Also, the lack of Block means the team wouldn't start to excel until well into its development. Maybe the Layman should be 5/3/3/7. But Flagellants would be pretty darn good as long as they lasted.

I suspect this would be a T2 team, and could probably use a few upgrades.

Hmmm...
0-16 Layman 6/3/3/7 Dauntless G/APS 50k
0-1 Fanatic 5/6/3/7 Ball & Chain, No Hands, Secret Weapon S/GAP 70k
0-2 Mendicant 7/3/3/7 Dauntless, Nerves of Steel GA/PS 80k
0-4 Zealot 6/3/3/7 Dauntless, Frenzy, Jump Up, Wrestle GS/AP 100k
0-2 Sigmarite Priest 5/3/3/9 Hypnotic Gaze, Nerves of Steel, Regeneration, Strong Arm GPS/A 110k
TRR: 60k

So at 1M:
7x Layman, 1x Fanatic, 1x Mendicant, 2x Zealot, 1x Sigmarite Priest, 3x TRR, 10k bank
or
7x Layman, 3x Zealot, 1x Sigmarite Priest, 3x TRR, Apoth, 10k bank
or
6x Layman, 2x Mendicant, 2x Zealot, 1x Sigmarite Priest, 3x TRR, Apoth, 10k bank

Still seems kind of weak. But it could give an Orc team what-for, with all that Dauntless. Dwarfs would still mince it.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

It seems interesting and nice to play as a fluff team. I can buy a Flagellant team with lots of Dauntless so that feels right. The lack of armor also seems in keeping.

I think the lack of football skills on the initial team would get this team crushed early. If they can live it would be interesting to see how they work out at higher TV.

I also tend to think [even though the team is weak] that I'd rather not have rookie players with 4 skills. If there's a skill that could reasonably be cut on Zealots and/or Priests it would be something that I would look at.

I think 50K rerolls would be justified ... it's not like there's reason to suspect that they wouldn't function well as a team [or have I missed some fluff??] In addition the team is quite likely weak enough that a little buff here isn't going to hurt.

Note: I'm not saying that anything is "wrong" ... I'm just giving my opinions

Rhyoth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rhyoth »

1st impression (about your second roster): Your team looks quite complicated ... maybe too much
1) I think your roster would be much clearer and better if you cut down some skills, especially for Zealots and for Sigmarite Priest.
2) There is a second point that bugs me : not a single player in the roster start with Block :o

Specifically, i have some questions :
_ why giving Wrestle instead of Block to Zealots ?
_ is it really necessary to give both AV 9 and Regeneration to Priests ?
_ i don't really understand the purpose of Hypno Gaze for Priests (aren't Sigmarites supposed to be some kind of warrior-priests ?)
_ have you considered to include less players with Dauntless, but a second Fanatic ?

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Hmmm... I think I agree with most/all of that. I'll get back to y'all.

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

why not give a position piling on as first skill (maybe even the linemen).

It is not an awesome skill on its own and could make the team an interesting bunch of mad lunatics who jump on their opponents with mad fever. It would be a good replacement to dauntless if you think it's too powerful.

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

I like the first one better. .

For some reason AV6 with thick skull makes me giggle. I think I'd pull the fanatic though, I don't think such a "holy" team would cheat with secret weapons.

Also the hypnotic gaze doesn't feel right on the priests. . .The priests should probably be closer to the bog standard blitzer type (rather than the passer.) So rather than give them gaze, just give them block . .and probably drop the Nerves of Steel. . .Standfirm and block on them will give them that Priest feel I think.

I honestly don't think this team needs pass access, it should be a running team . .with very little starting ball skills. (Similar to Chaos.) Fits with putting Strength access on the linemen.

I'd consider:

Code: Select all

0-2 Sigmarite Priest 6/3/2/8 Block, Dodge Stand Firm GS 120k
Gives him that "Stand against all foes" inspirational feel. A guy that is tough to knock down in the midst of chaos.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Looks like an overdescribed Norse team to me. Well, they'll play the same way. Norse are the existing Frenzy-heavy team. I've always though Frenzy is a great pick on Norse linos after the odd Tackle/Kick etc you might want to take.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

Joemanji wrote:Looks like an overdescribed Norse team to me. Well, they'll play the same way. Norse are the existing Frenzy-heavy team. I've always though Frenzy is a great pick on Norse linos after the odd Tackle/Kick etc you might want to take.
Bleh :-? . . begone, Naz. Or however I get rid of you. :P

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

mattgslater wrote:Imperial Flagellant Teams
0-16 Layman 6/3/3/6 Thick Skull GS 40k
0-1 Fanatic 5/6/3/7 Ball & Chain, No Hands, Secret Weapon S 70k
0-4 Zealot 6/3/3/7 Dauntless, Frenzy, Jump Up GS 80k
0-2 Sigmarite Priest 6/3/3/8 Hypnotic Gaze, Nerves of Steel, Stand Firm GPS 100k
0-2 Flagellant 6/4/2/7 Frenzy, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull GS 120k
TRR: 70k
I tend to think most homebrew teams like this are too crazy with the different positionals.

AV 6 seems too low, and an odd pairing with TSkull, just go 6337 40k
fanatic, no probs there
3 good skills (including one that needs doubles) for only 40k, too cheap IMHO.
How about 7337 Block Fenzy 90k
Sigmarite, seems a bit loaded with extreme skills, I'm not up on the background fluff, but it seems to lack a strong defined roll on the pitch and a hodgepodge of skills. Could see dauntless on him and maybe something like one extra skill from jumpup/frenzy/juggernaught.
Flagellant Comparable base stats to a Black Orc, trading two armour for two movement, but with 3 really useful skills added for 40k. Drop a skill and keep the price at 110 or 120 or put the price up. Or drop the price and add secret weapon?

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Frenzy without Block on AG2 is not "really useful." Thick Skull sucks, and is free with the stupid-bad (in context) AV7 in my thinking. The Zealots are not as good as a Norse Blitzer. You don't think AV6/Thick Skull is funny? It certainly seems appropriate for a penitent-type, no?

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

Asperon Thorn wrote:I like the first one better. .

For some reason AV6 with thick skull makes me giggle. I think I'd pull the fanatic though, I don't think such a "holy" team would cheat with secret weapons.

Also the hypnotic gaze doesn't feel right on the priests. . .The priests should probably be closer to the bog standard blitzer type (rather than the passer.) So rather than give them gaze, just give them block . .and probably drop the Nerves of Steel. . .Standfirm and block on them will give them that Priest feel I think.

I honestly don't think this team needs pass access, it should be a running team . .with very little starting ball skills. (Similar to Chaos.) Fits with putting Strength access on the linemen.

I'd consider:

Code: Select all

0-2 Sigmarite Priest 6/3/2/8 Block, Dodge Stand Firm GS 120k
Gives him that "Stand against all foes" inspirational feel. A guy that is tough to knock down in the midst of chaos.

Asperon Thorn
Pretty much agree, I think it looks like a fun team and the priest seems more appropriate like above, rather than the original.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet