Adding Negative Traits to the Inury Table

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Angor
Rookie
Rookie

Adding Negative Traits to the Inury Table

Post by Angor »

Have any of you tried adding negative traits (Bone Head, Wild Animal, Very Stupid) to the injury table.

I have started playing with a bunch of necromunda players and I think I have fully converted them to blood bowl. They do complain about the lack of in depth injuries on the players though.

So I was concidering something along the lines of...

1-58 - Same
61 - Wild Animal
62 - Bonehead
63 - Very Stupid
64-68 - Dead

Although it decreases the chance of death alot of players that pick up one of these skills will be fired pretty quickly anyway.

So what experiences have you guys had trying this kind of thing before.

Reason: ''
Horse Team
0-16 50,000 Horse 7 3 3 8 Sure Feet, Bone Head, No Hands
0-4 70,000 War Horse 6 4 3 9 Sure Feet, Bone Head, No Hands, Mighty Blow
0-4 100,000 Stallion 9 3 4 7 Sure Feet, Dodge
0-1 150,000 Unicorn 7 4 4 8 Sure Feet, Sprint, Horns
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Adding Negative Traits to the Inury Table

Post by Joemanji »

If you want to add them make either 56 or 61 become "negatrait" and then randomise between WA, Bonehead and RS. I don't think making them too frequent is a good idea. They are pretty much as good as death anyway, unless the player is very special.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

the idea is that a player is so often a liability.

- rookies, picking injuries are just a pain as they will steal SPP and drag the team down
- Mid-level, may keep for a few games but only to see if you can get that precious double/stats
- high level, a very expensive cost on the TV, if no double/stats and good skills as a rookie (think dwarf longbeard) then they may get the chop anyway.

All in all most injuries on most players mean a retirement in my teams (there are some exceptions often involving -MA/AG)

introducing depth in injuries will not have a great impact since players will be fired anyway.

I'd suggest to focus on the MNG and bring something really really minor which makes the player slightly worse but not bad enough to fire. So you keep MNG and add a little problem which can be accepted for a while.

Examples below:
41 - Shameful, the player plays so poorly after his injury, the fans absolutely hate him. -1 to the gate roll (Fan Factor -1, no TV reduction).
42 - Crushed toe, the player gets -1 to Go For It
43 - Pain killer Habit after coming back from hospital the player cannot kick his addiction to pain killer, he costs an extra 10k.
44 - Tourette syndrome The player cannot accept his new found injury and he becomes abusive. Only his closest team mates can accept him. Any star player/mercenary/journeyman must be paid an extra 20k to accept playing as long as he's playing in the game.
45 - Don't wanna go again the player is reticent to go on the pitch and always arrive late for the kick off. He must always be placed on a sideline unless you have 3 players or less to field.
46 - Please make it stop the player is impatient for the game to stop, he gains the loner skill and bonehead in turn 8.
47 - Slow the player is lethargic, he cannot be moved during the following kick off events: Perfect Defence, High Kick, Quick Snap!, Blitz!.
48 - Nemesis the player keeps receiving death threat from a deranged fan who wants him dead. He is always targeted by the Throw a Rock, and Pitch Invasion events. If several players have this injury they all get stoned/KO.

anyway these are just ideas of injuries which may be acceptable, feel free to invent yours.

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

I like those! May be tricky to remember though. I like the idea of quirks/characteristics as players develop.

You could counterbalance the negatraits if you think they are too severe e.g. bone-head by adding thick skull, WA with frenzy.

I don't think you should aim to force retirement on fewer players for balance reasons.

This thread may be relevant as well: http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 16&t=30425

Glicko guy.
Team England committee member
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

What about big guys? Two traits? That's rejection even for a high s.p.p player.

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

I like those as well, but instead of replacing the MNG ones how about rolling a d10 instead of a d8 and add them as the 9s and 10s? Or a d12 and go 4-9 to 4-12 and 5-9 to 5-12. I always have a d12 for throw a rock.

As for the main nega traits I would only use Bonehead as an injury I think.

I really like that Nemesis idea! :D

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

nice list greyhound, one of the few ideas I've seen on here that I quite like ;]

Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

nice ideas but some in game effects-"crushed toes" for example-wont be easy to keep track of.

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

I would not implement it myself because I like it simple. However I know some players are very RP, and like to track tons of bonuses/penalties.

I'm glad you like them. I'm sure someone can spend an hour and look for something more balanced/easier to track. Maybe focus only on kick off table-type negatrait.

GreedySmurf
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GreedySmurf »

They're interesting, but for mind you've just made a MNG roll = sacked player.

I would sack pretty much any player that got any of those injuries, except maybe for 'Nemesis' if it was on a liney. (that one I would keep - as it would be a protection for my positionals from a thrown rock.)

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

Nemesis gets a rock on top of the target... so he doesn't protect anything. The idea was to make it a debilitating trait as requested by the OP but you may keep them a few more games.

For instance you have 10k in treasury and your Dwarf blitzer with ST 5 and MB/Pile On gets a Tourette syndrome and you don't need to hire SP for a few games... do you instantly fire him???
You may keep him for a few more games while you rebuild your cash and fire him the day you need a SP.

GreedySmurf
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GreedySmurf »

Greyhound wrote:Nemesis gets a rock on top of the target... so he doesn't protect anything. The idea was to make it a debilitating trait as requested by the OP but you may keep them a few more games.
You would need to reword the description then. As it reads now, it is easy to presume that since he is always targeted by a thrown rock, when you get 'throw a rock' no need to roll a d16, he's the target. So you would need to reword that an additional rock gets thrown at the nemisis player, and to resolve the other rock as normal. What do you do if your nemisis guy is really unlucky and gets targeted by both? :orc: Two injury rolls, take both? take the worst?
Greyhound wrote:For instance you have 10k in treasury and your Dwarf blitzer with ST 5 and MB/Pile On gets a Tourette syndrome and you don't need to hire SP for a few games... do you instantly fire him???
You may keep him for a few more games while you rebuild your cash and fire him the day you need a SP.
How do you know if you need SP's or not? If in a scheduled league you might have a good idea, but if in a challenge/open league probably not. And if you're playing by the letter of the rules you can't sack players in the pre-game.

Besides which a Str 5 MB/PO player is a 'special case' for sacking in a lot of instances where any 'normal' player gets sacked instantly. So yes in 99% of cases a player with that trait gets sacked by me.

My basic issue is simply one of you're turning a 'safe' injury result in to a sackable injury result (in 99% of cases.) If you're aiming for higher player turnover that's fine, just so long as you're aware that's what you're doing.
This house rule would:
1. Cause higher than normal player turnover,
2. Because of 1 - the league will favour bash teams a bit more.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I used to have a 1d8+2d6 cas table. The d8 would take you to a subtable on 2d6.
1-4: Badly Hurt. 2d6 table was intended to be cute, with entries like "broken finger," "broken fingernail," "bruised ribs," and "bruised ego."
5-6: MNG. A bunch of sprains, turf toe, etc.
7: Permanent Injury. All your old 51-58 friends, plus Bonehead and Loner.
8: Dead. Some results indicated a "season-ending injury" or a "career-ending injury."

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Raziel_Spry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Raziel_Spry »

I really like those Greyhound. Did you just come up with these off the top of your head, or have you used them before? I think that they add an interesting dimension to injuries. I think I would keep the players for all those negatraits, unless I had another good reason to fire them. Injury results like this would build a lot of character into the player and team.

As for them being hard to keep track of: is Crushed Toe any harder to remember than the Sprint Skill? Or any other skill for that matter? I don't think it adds too much complexity.

Mattgslater, I also like the idea of a player missing the remainder of the game due to a broken fingernail or bruised ego :lol: