B-r-e-t-t-o-n-i-a-n-s, really why not?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bretts, really why not?

They don't fit into bloodbowl
14%
They would be too close to a pre-existing team
19%
I hate bretts
8%
They don't fit fluff wise
12%
I wouldn't mind a brett team if it was well designed.
47%

Total votes: 186

PairODice
Rookie
Rookie

Re: B-r-e-t-t-o-n-i-a-n-s, really why not?

Post by PairODice »

If it will dispense with Plasmoid's "cheese"(to quote Darkson) and the majority(of the minority?)anti-Brettonian camp then please bring us the Kinghts of Albion.

Reason: ''
Dihenydd
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Dihenydd »

I love this argument! In a world of dragons, ogres, treemen and elves we have a discussion on the 'realism' of certain stats/abilities....

Much better to focus on the gameplay elements instead. The question should be, "Is this a playable and fair roster", not "Is this historically/physically accurate in a game that includes Lizardmen and Chaos Warriors"

Put some time into playtesting, showing developments taken for several teams in some simulated or real leagues. Then I'll follow more closely.

A victory is twice won when the general brings home full numbers.

Much ado About Nothing.
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Things that are certain in life (and learned from this thread):

1 - Death
2 - Taxes
3 - Armor slows you down
4 - Wikipedia should not be citied as a source
5 - The average person has a hard time indentifying a written jab that is merely intended for fun.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Dihenydd wrote:Put some time into playtesting, showing developments taken for several teams in some simulated or real leagues. Then I'll follow more closely.
Oh you'll be told it's been play tested...and it will also be adamently stated that it's well balanced.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

burgun824 wrote: Oh you'll be told it's been play tested...and it will also be adamently stated that it's well balanced.
burgun824 wrote:Things that are certain in life:

1 - Death
2 - Taxes
3 - Armor slows you down if you are stupid and wear it backwards, and include pieces of lead in your pants, but otherwise seems counterintuitive to wear armor that hampers you greatly, resulting in death of the wearer, probably ending the fad of wearing clumsy over weight armor very quickly.
4 - Wikipedia should not be citied as a source in professional or academic papers, but on threads, considering the accuracy of the site in general, and the lack of importance of the topic to require several hours of search, it more than merits consideration on the whole

Average weight carried by the modern soldier.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 5_ch11.htm
Also, note that powered exoskeltons, a form of armor, that may be available in the not to distance future, will make us faster.... much much faster.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_exoskeleton

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

Yeah, and I suppose you'll be wanting to create a team for them too. . . :roll:

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Dihenydd,
welcome to the mother of all nonsensical threadnaps.
Put some time into playtesting, showing developments taken for several teams in some simulated or real leagues. Then I'll follow more closely.
We did. It's been legal in the MBBL for 2 years now.
I've also been contacted by a few leagues that allow the roster - heck, the other day I was contacted by a guy that had enjoyed the team, and had created skins for Bretonnians for the PC game.

I've never had leagues (where it was allowed) report that it was overpowered.
I have been told that it was high tier 1 - outside of the top 5.
Doesn't prevent anyone from theorybowling that they're broken, unbalanced cheesy or space marines.
Oh you'll be told it's been play tested...and it will also be adamently stated that it's well balanced.
I suspect you'll also be told that Burgun knows best.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Tzoscey,
your noblemen should cost about 140mo
Try comparing him to the werewolf.
Or an Elf blitzer.

Like I said, not all fast players are pussies.
It seems to be the common conception that MA is traded for AV and vice versa - armour is heavy and all that.
Well in that case, the Elf blitzer is 2 points up from an Elf lineman.
Bretonnian blitzers are 2 points up from a Human lineman.

I've said it before. It's not that they're super fast. But they have an impressive physique, and carry the weight well.

Cheers
Martin

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

@Plasmoid - I really and truely admire your enthusiasm for this roster.

Let me boil this down to the most simple question to you (and you alone): Do you feel YOUR roster should be considered for submission into the actual rules or left as a House Rule team to be played at the discression of individual League Commissioners?

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Define should :wink:
Heck, define your, as I didn't design it alone :)

But:
If the rules were currently open, I think the team is unique, plays well and represents a nation missing from the game - so yes, I think they'd make a great addition.

However, the rules are not open, and I don't think they should be opened for this.
I can wait :orc:
So, house rules for me.

Cheers
Martin

Krulfang
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Krulfang »

I was wondering when Agincourt was going to be brought in...

Moving through deep mud is very different than moving an a flat pitch. If we now want to argue that armor slows you down in poor terrain, you'll see no argument from me. Of course, when your shoes are filled with mud and your entire lower half is no longer balanced well, you're going to lose a ton of steam. Not to mention having to keep a shield raised that was being continuously pounded by arrows would significantly lower your morale and your arm strength.

So, if the pitch was three feet deep and filled with mud, yes. Yes, full plate would slow you down significantly.

Also, football pads are not balanced in the same manner, so less armor on different posistions makes sense. Football padding is a topheavy armor designed to prevent damage on the spots that will be hit instead of full coverage. Blood Bowl makes full coverage make a little more sense, as they're aiming for your knees, neck, and other sensitive areas.

Oh, and I know when it's supposed to be just a jab. However, a jab is still a punch.

Keepin' it Green.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

If Brets can have 8/3/3/8 knights, humans should have 8/3/3/8 Blitzers.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Guys look at the front of the box. Griff looks pretty b-ttonian doesn't he? And I think any players is going to appreciate a breast plate when faced with those knuckle dusters and gouging spikes.
Let's see modern football equipment stand up to that.

'Dear mythbusters......'

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

Krulfang wrote:Also, football pads are not balanced in the same manner, so less armor on different posistions makes sense. Football padding is a topheavy armor designed to prevent damage on the spots that will be hit instead of full coverage. Blood Bowl makes full coverage make a little more sense, as they're aiming for your knees, neck, and other sensitive areas.
Are you seriously trying to make the case that plastic football pads are more cumbersome then Plate armor because of the balance?

Are you that far removed from reality?

Are you also going to make the case that a Medieval knight was more fit than today's Professional Athlete? Because that would simply be insanity. More fit than the average person, I would agree. But there is a reason that Athlete's keep breaking speed records year after year. Today's athletes are stronger, faster, bigger than yesterday's. Yesterday's more than their predecessors.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

plasmoid wrote:...the rules are not open, and I don't think they should be opened for this.
I can wait :orc:
So, house rules for me.
Then we're good and there's no need to continue this argument.