New idea for a tournament - all reactions are welcome

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

New idea for a tournament - all reactions are welcome

Post by Magictobe »

Hello,

I want to post an idea for a ruleset for a tournament. I would like to invite you to give me all your opinion.
My apologies for typing errors, I do my best to make myself understandable.

The idea grew from watching the World Championship jumping. The best four players have to ride the finals riding each other horse and the rider who can adjust best to the other riders horses wins the world championship.

My idea for the ruleset.
4 games on saturday
3 games on sunday

The first day you play your team and get a skill before each game.

The second day : There is a standing of coaches before round 5. Then you divide them in groups. For example first six. You know your opponent by the swiss pairing system but you do not play your own team. You get your team randomly chosen but it will be a team of the group of first six teams. You do the same for the following six coaches and so on in groupes of six. I do this dividing in groupes because I do not want to give a player that has got 4 wins with wood elves the halflings from last position. That would totally ruin his chances for the tournament. After four rounds the chances you get a stunty team that high is low. If a stunty coach gets that high. It is his own reward and that stunty team belongs that high.
So you play the fifth round with a randomly chosen team which is NOT your own team. You give the team (that already had some skills) a skill for the round and the team will keep that skill through the rest of the tournament.

You play the games and give the scores to the coaches. You get a new standing after round five. You pair swiss and devide again randomly between the new first six coaches and so on ...

The same for the last round.

In this case you reward the coach who can adapt the best to the team that is given to him. IMHO you give the chance to focus on the skill of the coach to play bloodbowl and not the coach who can play one race the best.

I have posted this on the Belgian website and had some reactions. Now I want to know the international reactions.

I can make an example to hopefully make things clear:
After round five you have
1. Coach A with woodelves
2. Coach B with dwarves
3. Coach C with dwarves
4. Coach D with lizardmen
5. Coach E with dark elves
6. Coach F with orcs
7. .....

You pair swiss and get following matches
Coach A - Coach C
Coach B - Coach E
Coach D - Coach H
Coach F - Coach I

The first six coaches get a team from the first six. Coach A got a chance of two dwarves, lizardmen, dark elves or orcs. He does not have a chance to get his own wood elves. He randomly gets lizardmen. You take the lizardmen coach and he randomly gets dwarves from coach B. Coach B gets a chance on dwarves from coach C, wood elves, dark elves or orcs. ...

PRO
You get the coach that can adapt the best to the team that he randomly gets. You get the best bloodbowl coach to win the tournament and not the best coach who can master one team

You do not have to possess all teams to play the team. It is a chance to play teams that you otherwise would have never played. Maybe you find a jewel of a team that really is designed for you.

You still have to master your own team because you play the first four games with your own team.

CONTRA
You have to give your team for three matches to someone else to play. There has to be a great respect for the miniatures. Maybe the organisers can provide some teams if you do not want to play a team because you are scared of damaging the mini's.

Beginning players who really only master one team will have great problems adapting to a new team and this could influence the time table. Rosters will have to be really clear.
But my reaction on this is that you have experienced bashing coaches who will have troubles adapting to agility teams and visa versa.

I hope all is clear and please let me know what you find from this ruleset.

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: New idea for a tournament - all reactions are welcome

Post by Joemanji »

It would be very hard to enter the results from the swapped games into NAF. I think it would be a case of having a separate tournament for each round, which would obviously look ugly.

I think the simplest way to do this would be to just have each individual pairing swap teams. So by swiss 1 would play 2 and swap teams, 3 & 4 play and swap, etc ... This has the bonus that coaches know where their team is and that it is being looked after.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
ZootSuitJeff
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ZootSuitJeff »

Joemanji wrote: I think the simplest way to do this would be to just have each individual pairing swap teams. So by swiss 1 would play 2 and swap teams, 3 & 4 play and swap, etc ... This has the bonus that coaches know where their team is and that it is being looked after.

That would be interesting, play the first day with your own team, then play the second day against your own team.... You might want to not make your skill/roster choices TOO brilliant...

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

I like the idea of swapping teams, but there are some people who would object to other people using their miniatures. This has always been a stumbling block in the past.

Magictobe

Post by Magictobe »

Joemanji wrote:It would be very hard to enter the results from the swapped games into NAF. I think it would be a case of having a separate tournament for each round, which would obviously look ugly.

I think the simplest way to do this would be to just have each individual pairing swap teams. So by swiss 1 would play 2 and swap teams, 3 & 4 play and swap, etc ... This has the bonus that coaches know where their team is and that it is being looked after.
I like the advice of swapping with the opponent because you can see how he takes care of your miniatures. Your team os not five tables away.