Star Player needing to be re-done

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Star Player needing to be re-done

Post by Greyhound »

I think some Star Players are just not good enough. I often read about how the community would tweak the starting rosters but there are some silly SP out there who "I believe" need to be redone.

I'll start close to home
Lottabottol (220k), 8338, Loner, Catch, Diving Tackle, Jump Up, Leap, Pass Block, Shadowing, Very Long Legs
Quetzal Leap (250k), 8247 Loner, Catch, Diving Catch, Fend, Kick-off Return, Leap, Nerves of Steel, Very Long Legs

Ok if anyone used these 2 guys with success please let me know.
In my mind there are 2 types of opponent I'll be facing when I have enough cash for inducements:
- Bash teams like orc/dwarf/chaos who will be hammering my Saurus and I don't see how Lottabottol can help. He's a shadowing leaping pass blocker, meant to tackle ball carriers or very dodgy-moving players. He's unreliable to jump with and he can't block with any reliability. No skill reroll like dodge is included, aside from catch, and he's no faster than a skink.
A merc skink with catch is cheaper as well.
Furthermore Skinks can't throw, so he's unlikely to use much of this diving catch. He's 220k!!! At his price I can take a babe to help my Saurus and a wizard to help me break the formation in front of me and run through the gaps. No I don't see it.
Quetzal Leap, a much more reliable jumper/catcher/thrower thanks to AG4 but again no faster than a skink and with no Wrestle/block/dodge skill. He's the same price as Slibli 7419 (Loner, Block, Grab, Guard, Stand Firm) who will be more effective against bash. The real asset is that he can pick up the ball with more reliability and be used as a thrower. However he has nothing to do his job well if you exclude KOR. I'd contemplate taking him for a second, if I had absolutely no sure hands skink, but Slibli is just too tempting to mess with bash. A Mercenary Krox with a skill is also tempting if I'm a short in the big guy department.

- Agile teams like Elfs/skaven, I'm going Wizard and if I still have over 200 gold to spare I'm all for Stabbing blodging jumpup Hemlock + a babe which gives me so much more that either of these two slanns.

Using the same price and tweaking the skills (which I know were not meant to be ultimate) I'd suggest:
Lottabottol (220k), 8338, Loner, Catch, Diving Tackle, Jump Up, Leap, Wrestle, Shadowing, Very Long Legs (loose Pass Block)
Quetzal Leap (250k), 8247 Loner, Catch, Diving Catch, Fend, Kick-off Return, Leap, Dodge, Very Long Legs (loose Nerves of Steel)

These aren't gigantic changes but it gives these SP some chance to see the pitch one day.

Reason: ''
purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Star Player needing to be re-done

Post by purdindas »

Star players IMO are supposed to have crazy skill sets. It's what makes them interesting. No-one would ever build players with these skill sets because block/wrestle and dodge are ofcourse the best core skills. Leave them be I say unless you want to make them 'boring' and just like the kind of players you see all the time.

Lottabottol is your dream pass blocking interceptor and could cause all sorts of trouble for elf teams.

Quetzal Leap is a really good all round ball handler/ reciever. He would be most useful for a rookieish team who needs a player like this when going up against a much more experienced team.

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

I think there should be a 3rd ed conversion method so we can use more star players.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

purdindas wrote:Lottabottol is your dream pass blocking interceptor and could cause all sorts of trouble for elf teams.
But way to expensive! Hemlock is 170k and he's so much more effective against elves. Wizard does a better job for 150k as well.
Quetzal Leap is a really good all round ball handler/ reciever.
For slanns maybe but skinks can't pass!

i would love to hear how often they are induced, I have made the models and I usually have a lot of inducement.... but never ever manage to justify having them.

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

For the Lizardmen and Slann teams, Hemlock and Slibli are awesome stars. Even the Chainsaw can be a great inducement. The Slann star players are very week by contrast. Lottabottol is probably the best of the two as a ST 2 AG 4 player with loner isn't much better than a rookie skink with a reroll. And a Slann catcher with dodge is probably still better, plus you never want stars to score the TDs if you can help it.

Lottabottol can give Elves and Skaven some interesting problems on their offence, but a good opponent should be able to out manoeuvre him. Lizardmen should have a lot of DT skinks anyway.

So yeah, they are colourful star players but neither one is that scary to an opponent in my view. I don't think the changes listed would really change that view either. What I would suggest is a Slann Thrower Star Player. In the same vain as Whiparm for Chaos and Nurgle, he (or she) could give two predominately running teams a different tactical option. Stick Sure Hands on him (or her) and you can even address some of the problems Lizzies face when playing against Wood Elves.

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Create your own Star Players to use as a house rule. Just give them the stat increases you would want like you're building your own player from the rule book. This should give you a fairly good price for them too.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Lizardmen have a mix of awesome value and dreadful value stars. As mentioned here, Hemlock, Slibli and (situationally) Helmut are awesome.

The problem with Lottabottl and Quetzal is that they are costed on rigid lines of points per skill ... but they have so many marginal skills that this bloats their cost. They are there for fluff reasons (so Galak could sneak Slann into the official rules), but perhaps some effort could have been made to be creative with their costing.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

There was a lot of concern about giving Lizardmen a useusable fast piece that wasn't ST 2 and Stunty. 4th Edition Khemri with a Gutter Runner ally were so broken it was not even funny. I had heavy concerns that making these 2 stars too good would have the same effect on Lizardmen.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

Ok, but Hemlock is a power house and the 2 slanns rubbish. Lizardmen can struggle against claw teams, why not a claw frog? To give back the love

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

Greyhound wrote:Ok, but Hemlock is a power house and the 2 slanns rubbish. Lizardmen can struggle against claw teams, why not a claw frog? To give back the love
A Claw frog is just absurd! There is no justification for it at all when you can already induce Helmet Wolf for 110k.

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

Absurd sounds perfect anyone else going for it or is it just me and Gerard?

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I would like to see a taxi toad esq star player with prehensile tongue (tail).

Galak what was your formula for star players?
I remember you posting it somewhere but I can't find it :(

Ironjaw
Crassest person in Blood Bowl

Post by Ironjaw »

GalakStarscraper wrote:4th Edition Khemri with a Gutter Runner ally were so broken it was not even funny
and in 6th they're so broken it's not even funny...

Mr 1-in-20
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Ironjaw wrote:
GalakStarscraper wrote:4th Edition Khemri with a Gutter Runner ally were so broken it was not even funny
Wait ... you are suggesting that they are broken (as in too good now???) ... rarely hear anyone argue that. There never was a 6th edition ... so I'm not sure what you are saying.

The 4th Edition (NOT LRB 4.0 ... 4th Edition (ie the edition before LRB 1.0)) Khemri would completely destroy the CRP Khemri ... every time I'd say.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Ironjaw wrote:
Wait ... you are suggesting that they are broken (as in too good now???) ... rarely hear anyone argue that. There never was a 6th edition ... so I'm not sure what you are saying.

The 4th Edition (NOT LRB 4.0 ... 4th Edition (ie the edition before LRB 1.0)) Khemri would completely destroy the CRP Khemri ... every time I'd say.

Tom

I'd have to agree with you there Galak. Khermi are now are far more balanced team in fact they are now one of the the lower tier teams IMO.

I do agree that the two slann star players are completely useless and also Willow Rosebark. All these players needs either block or dodge to make them usable. They are just completely pointless at the moment imo.