Mighty Blow as an injury-only skill

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Mighty Blow as an injury-only skill

Post by dode74 »

Ok, this is to get a second opinion on a suggested change to a rule (not suggested by me). The change would be that MB can no longer affect armour rolls, but still applies the +1 modifier to injury rolls.

My question is: would this change be better for high or low AV teams?

I've already done my own maths on the subject, and formed my own opinion. If you've already read my own answer on the Cyanide forums then it would probably be better not to respond here as I am after an independent opinion. Once we get an answer or two in then I'll copy and paste my own answer in here.

Thanks

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Mighty Blow as an injury-only skill

Post by GalakStarscraper »

What I think this would really effect more than anything is Big Guys.

In LRB 5.0 they all got a big price hike ... most between 20k to 30k. If Mighty Blow didn't help these guys that were already on the cusp for cost vs benefit to crack armour ... it would be a big strike against them. Given how close we tried to balance these as cost vs benefit I think you would seriously screw things up if you changed MB that way.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

As a second comment, this messes with the balance of not letting high AV teams live that I spent time working into the new edition.

Without MB working on AV.

That means against AV 9 an MB player would break AV 40% less.

Against AV 7 an MB player would break AV 29% less

So who benefits from MB only working on Injury.... the Bash teams benefit most (on the defensive side). And to be very honest there is NO GOOD REASON to increase the effectiveness of the heavy armour of the bash teams.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Void
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Void »

Second think to consider is that Might Blow is already at weaker version.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I would prefer Mighty blow to work ONLY on the Av Roll....

that way stunties may survive longer.

i also think it should be an "extrodinary skill" however Im always shouted down over that opinion so just ignore that comment!!

Nikolai II
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nikolai II »

glowworm wrote:I would prefer Mighty blow to work ONLY on the Av Roll....
That is the change I'd go for too.

Then Dirty Player could work on all injury rolls.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Ugh. No thanks. Mighty Blow is a Tier 1-B skill, in my book, and it's that way for a reason.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Gents, you're not answering the question I am posing. Someone else posted this proposition and we disagree as to which teams would be worst effected. So, my question is:
would this change be better for high or for low AV teams?

Just to clarify, I don't think it should happen at all, but that is not the question.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

dode74 wrote:Gents, you're not answering the question I am posing. Someone else posted this proposition and we disagree as to which teams would be worst effected. So, my question is:

Just to clarify, I don't think it should happen at all, but that is not the question.
Screws over Av7 teams so much more. Seriously benefits the high Av teams

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Bad idea imo, can only see it helping high AV teams at the expense of low AV teams.

Nikolai II
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nikolai II »

Base chance for knockdown to cause an injury (out of 1296)

AV 7: 90 (6.9%)
AV 8: 60 (4.6%)
AV 9: 36 (2.8%)
AV 10: 18 (1.4%)

Chance for injury with current MB. (Which is relatively more painful for high-AV teams. It still affects low-AV teams the most.)

AV 7: 186 (14.4%)
AV 8: 130 (10.0%)
AV 9: 84 (6.5%)
AV 10: 48 (3.7%)

Chance for injury with suggested MB. Everyone takes fewer injuries. (Relatively speaking high-AV teams are reduced the most. In absolute numbers the low-AV teams are reduced the most.)

AV 7: 150 (11.6%)
AV 8: 100 (7.7%)
AV 9: 60 (4.6%)
AV 10: 30 (2.3%)

So it is easy to see why there might be differences in opinion. I can't say anything else than "turn the skills around. Let Claw do +1 on injury rolls (only), and let Mighty Blow penetrate all armor on 8+ - that'd shake things up. ;)
(At least if it is about evening things out for the low-AV teams. Both MB are similar in effect. The OP suggested MB will have a lower effect for all.)

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

dode74 wrote:Gents, you're not answering the question I am posing. Someone else posted this proposition and we disagree as to which teams would be worst effected. So, my question is:

It helps Claw teams a lot, since the non-Claw bash teams would very much struggle to compete in the killer stakes.

I think generally as either AV or Inj only that bash teams would stop taking MB much at all.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

mattgslater wrote:Ugh. No thanks. Mighty Blow is a Tier 1-B skill, in my book, and it's that way for a reason.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I think that is definitely a minority view. Many of the coaches I play against MB is valued as highly as Guard, and above Stand Firm.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

DoubleSkulls wrote:
mattgslater wrote:Ugh. No thanks. Mighty Blow is a Tier 1-B skill, in my book, and it's that way for a reason.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I think that is definitely a minority view. Many of the coaches I play against MB is valued as highly as Guard, and above Stand Firm.
I don't think we're far apart.
1: Dodge, Guard
1a: Block, Sidestep
1b: Mighty Blow, Wrestle, Claw
2a: Stand Firm, along with several others (Tackle, Piling On, Dirty Player, Kick, Sure Hands). Unlike those others, and like the top-tier skills, Stand Firm is a spam skill. But I still put it in the same category overall, though it's harder to compare.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

MB is needed to break higher armour.

If you want to protect the low AV teams then say MB only affects AV8 or higher.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)