new house rule inducement- pit traps

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

new house rule inducement- pit traps

Post by anc001 »

I found some inspiration in an old article (white dwarf #94) and thought I would have a go at including them in my league this week, and if players like them I'd make them available as an inducement.

Let me know what you think

Booby Traps
Booby Traps can only be placed at the start of a half and only by the kicking coach. They stay on the pitch until the end of the half, when the officials clear them away.

During his setup phase the kicking coach may place 10 counters in his own half, but not on the line of scrimmage. These counters are either bluffs, with no trap in them or have a type of trap written underneath the counter.

Trap Rules
  • mine, when a player enters the square roll a D6, on a 2+ the mine is triggered. Make an armour roll for the player, adjacent players knocked over on a 4+. On the roll of a 1 the mine remains, repeat procedure the next time a player enters the mined square.
  • pit, player falls into pit, make armour roll. Player can get out of pit by making an AG roll, with -1 for each opposing player adjacent to the pit and +1 for each friendly player adjacent to the pit (players can not assist or hinder if they are in the TZ of an opposing player, even if they have guard).
  • staked pit, player falls into pit and lands on stakes, make injury roll. Otherwise treated as a standard pit
  • trapdoor, trapdoor activates only once, on a 2+ the player is trapped until next kickoff. Treat the square as normal until the next kickoff. On the roll of a 1 the trapdoor does not close on the player and the square becomes a standard pit until the next kickoff.
  • trampoline trap, player scatters randomly, D6 squares in D8 direction. Make a landing roll, if player lands he or she may continue moving.
  • quicksand, when a player attempts to leave the square roll a D6, the player looses this many MA. If a 6 is rolled the player is held in place and looses his or her action (e.g. Blitz) regardless of the player's remaining movement.
The coach 'buys' 100,000gp of traps from the following list
  • Trap Costs
  • mine, (40,000gp points each)
  • pit, (20,000gp points each)
  • staked pit, (30,000gp points each)
  • trapdoor (40,000gp points each)
  • trampoline trap (20,000gp points each)
  • quicksand (10,000gp point each)
e.g. 2 staked pits + 1 mine, OR 5 trampoline traps OR 10 quicksand traps

thoughts? improvements? suggestions?

I've tried to balance the cost and effectiveness of the trap types, but wonder if the quicksand is too cheap or too strong, I've kept it cheap because it is the only type that can't hurt a player.

Reason: ''
anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Re: new house rule inducement- pit traps

Post by anc001 »

if you want to give it a playtest give these countersa try.

Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

I like it.
do pits have no effect at all on the ball ?

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

:lol:
didn't think of that and it didn't come up in playtesting this evening.
We were playing that the ball didn't 'reveal' the counters, but maybe it should

Maybe even the hidden/reveal thing is unnecessary?

I'm open to opinions...

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

IMO, 10 quicksand might be a problem.
You can shut down a rather large portien of the pitch/widezones with a 5x2 section of quicksand.

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
LordWriggly
Experienced
Experienced

Post by LordWriggly »

To avoid making a 5x2 block just make it impossible to do so.
You could use the following rules:
  • Trap-markers cannot be placed near the line of scrimmage (LOS) or near the sidelines. Also, markers must be seperated by at least 2 squares.
    Once all markers are placed, scatter each trap one square in a D8 direction (use the scatter template).

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

I'd say it is a bit too easy to avoid traps unless they are together in a block, perhaps instead I'd prefer the option of toning down the quicksand.

Scattering the traps is an interesting idea.

Another idea is to mark down the location of traps secretly on a pitch diagram rather than have counters.

LordWriggly
Experienced
Experienced

Post by LordWriggly »

I rather think that traps work as additional teammembers but seriously boneheaded ones and sometimes they have a nasty streak.
When being pushed back, your own traps can work against you!

Keeping the location of the traps secret is certainly a possibility but it will have a major impact on gameplay. I wouldn't like that many surprises and the result of any action will be completely arbitrary.

frogbear
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by frogbear »

I ran the local Chaos Cup with the Trampolines.

A desperate team will use them to help them score (or injure a player) and I feel they really added a new dimension to the game - especially when people were knocked down onto them and they bounced! :D

*Beside Myself with Grief*