Rostered Star Players

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Rostered Star Players

Post by mattgslater »

Hey, we've got some guys who have been thinking about a set of rules that would allow coaches to roster their stars, like a permanent use of petty cash. Personally, I think it's not a good idea. It would definitely have to come with some kind of drawback if we were to do it, because otherwise the Orcs would go grab Ripper and they'd be laughing all the way to the championship; mentioning this didn't deter my fellow coaches. I doubt it will happen (that is, over my dead body), but we've had some coaches talking about it, so I figured I'd draw it up and see what you guys thought.

Here are some nerfs I've been considering. Are these enough? Or do y'all agree with me that there is just no way to balance it?

1) You may hire only one Star Player. If you do, you may not induce any Star Players.

2) At the end of each match, if the Star Player played in the match, roll 1d6. On a 1, the player has contractual obligations or some other excuse to get himself out of the next match.

3) If your opponent has any rostered Star Players, you may pay the player's value in inducement funds to bribe the player into taking the match off. If you used petty cash to do so, the opponent can't induce that particular Star.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Rostered Star Players

Post by Aliboon »

Think back to 3rd edition mk1, a few Morgs on most teams but ...

A lot has changed since then, 290k for Ripper , he's not "great" value, let your league have a nice democratic vote and see what happens...

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

That's what I was thinking. At 190k, Morg was a no-brainer. At 440k or whatever, not so much.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

At 200k though Eldril is horribly tempting.

Rostered stars, sadly I think the days where this worked are past. At low tv it's brutal and at high tv you should have your own homemade stars anyway. But that's just my opinion. :)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Perm Stars... :puke:

If they do, also make it that the Stars cost is increased tenfold (let's see the coach save 2.7 mill), and if the Star is ever injured, they keep the injury, and if killed, that team can no longer induce that particular star - EVER.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

Aliboon wrote:Think back to 3rd edition mk1, a few Morgs on most teams but ...
Ah, the days of my Middenheim Dolphins team with a rostered Zug on the front line...

... who was promptly killed outright by a thrown rock from the crowd on the kick-off. Of the first drive. Of the first match.

Needless to say, that team got pounded and re-started very quickly.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Can I suggest that instead of the star leaving AFTER a game, he can fail to show up, just like the old niggling injuries. That way, he still adds team value, but can really punish you if he fails to show. You could also introduce a tiered system, e.g. Helmut Wulf fails to show on a roll of 1, but Puggy fails to show on a role of 1 or 2. That way you can further restrict the very best players.

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

I'll have Slibli anytime as a 7th Saurus on the Lizard roster (250k) rather than the usual 3 skinks (1 on the pitch, 2 bench to replace as they get hurt) for pretty much the same price.

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

this season I've allowed 0-2 stars on team's rosters, but with a combined value of no more than 150,000gp, it is basically a way to give teams more access to the cheaper secret weapons, but you could raise the limit to whatever you thought was suitable.

Fluffwise I think it makes more sense that the best of the best would be playing only one-off games for big inducement money, but cheaper less awesome stars might join a team for a few games or even a full season if they were desperate.

JMO

Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Urb »

2 permanent chain saws and 3 trolls for golbins. Ouch.

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

I am allowing to higher 2 stars.

Simple rule: you lose (or draw) - they walk, they don't play for losers.

You cannot hire any until you win again.

We will see how it goes. And if they have not had a recent write up... I'm opening up all the old stars too.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Mango
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mango »

nazgob wrote:Can I suggest that instead of the star leaving AFTER a game, he can fail to show up, just like the old niggling injuries. That way, he still adds team value, but can really punish you if he fails to show. You could also introduce a tiered system, e.g. Helmut Wulf fails to show on a roll of 1, but Puggy fails to show on a role of 1 or 2. That way you can further restrict the very best players.
I like that idea

Sponsorship Commitments

Due to their hectic schedule of sponsorship appearances, ball signings and goat racing carnivals, before each game roll a d6 for each Star Player. On a 1 that player is unavailable for that match but their value is still counted when working out the TR

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

What about allowing a team to use a Bribe to get a star ejected at the end of any drive on a 2+? This would be an alternative to the rule about un-inducing stars.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I don't think that's very fair. Goblins pay 50k to get rid of your star player. Not cool.

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

What if it were a separate inducement? So, for the player's value, you can induce him away, and with 100k you can make him a SW.