Rostered Star Players

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Rostered Star Players

Post by Daht »

Simple rule.. there is 1 of each star player period.. base price is their base cost.. but if more than 1 team wants, highest bidder. If they die, they're gone forever

Reason: ''
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

That wouldn't go over well. Last season we had 8 chainsaws induced; 5 of them were killed by injury rolls. Not BH or SI; dead.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yeah, I like!

How about - anyone can roster stars by purchasing them with petty cash. You can't hire stars on the starting roster.

The same star may not play for both teams in the same match - if both teams have the same star he doesn't play. If you have a star rostered and play an opponent who pays the star's value in inducements, both teams lose him for that match.

Stars don't gain skills or SPP (all SPP they would gain, including MVPs, are just lost) and injuries (stat busts, niggles, deaths) are permanent. For all incarnations of that player on all teams.

When a star player dies - for ANY team - he dies for all teams. And can't be rehired. By anyone. Ever.

If you wanted a nasty twist - how about when you get MNG - they miss the next game for all players who have him rostered. And he can't be induced. Ha!

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

I remember the days....

My suggestion(have actually tried this on 3rd):

The starplayers have only one life. If it dies, it's gone.
The starplayers have only one body. They can only be on one team at a time.
The starplayers can be hired from another team (into your team) if you pay current price + 10%.

We had a very clear in between matches period when this kind of transactions would occurr. And a StarPlayer Allocation Manager (SPAM) who would receive and aprove this things. The SPAM also kept track of any sacked players. These were also hireable as starplayers by other teams.

And finally, a Starplayer could gain SPP (GASP!) and gain skills if it didn't already had seven skillups.

/Afroman

PS: It takes a very committed Clique Coaches to bother with this complicated system a whole league.
PSII: We lasted five rounds.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Bit of a Necro there Afro...glad you did it though because I had a thought that I would like to share for some quick feedback.

Build your own star players:

At the beginning of the season every coach is allowed to pick one of the players from any position on his available roster and give him X number of SPP (calculated by how many skills you want everyone to get). You could modify this format in anyway you see fit but everyone would have the same ammount to spend.

TV would then be calculated as you normaly would for the skills selected.

Example: everyone gets 60 SPP to place on one player (4 SP Rolls) - you can count two of the skill selections as a double OR a stat increase OR a combination of both. You can allow the player to have a secret weapon but you would forfeit both the doubles/stat increases in lieu of the appropriate secret weapon of your choosing and the skill to match. I would also add the caveat that "Big Guys" could not take a secret weapon.

I didn't search this before posting so I'm sure that someone has had this idea before, but I think it's a clean and fair way to handle the topic at hand.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

By lack of response I'm going to assume that everyone thought my idea was AWESOME. :wink:

Either that or they said, "HMPH...IGNORE." :oops:

bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

I would hate to see a thrower/bomber player, you might want to limit secret weapons to linemen types.

Also would this star count as one of your positions... IE Blitzer star eats one of your blitzer positions.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

bouncergriim wrote:I would hate to see a thrower/bomber player, you might want to limit secret weapons to linemen types.
Good idea...done.
bouncergriim wrote:Also would this star count as one of your positions... IE Blitzer star eats one of your blitzer positions.
If it were my league I would say yes as I would likely also allow you to still take Stars as an inducement. However, I think this would have to be one of those personal choices based on how you would want to modify it for your league. For simplicity sake I would say it should count as a roster spot.

bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

how do you define appropriate secret weapon would also matter IMHO. I don't really see elves using weapons. Would it be limited to what weapons are already available to star players they could hire? OR would it be broader but still limited?

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Exactly why I used the word appropriate...good spot.

I think this would be another grey area for the League Commissioner to ultimately decide on, but seeing as you're asking me I would say "appropriate" would include any of your standard secret weapons - i.e.: chainsaws, bombs, ball and chains, stakes, knives, pointy sticks (although I think stakes covers that). Nothing like a Deathroller though...because that's an unusual piece of equipment reserved to dwarfs anyway, and they already have it on their roster.

I think the concept needs to be loose enough for the Coach to be able to enjoy the prospect of building their own "Star Player" but not so loose that one lunatic's overly creative nature becomes a detriment to the gaming atmosphere of the rest of the group. Basically, you would set the guidelines like I did above and then likely have a rule in place where the commissioner of the league would have to pre-approve the player before they could be used to make sure that the aforementioned individual didn't end up with some insane, team destroying concoction that would imbalance the game.

Ideally, your coaches would ask questions (like you have) and the commish would make decissions on them to help iron out the details as they arose.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

We did this a long time ago. The positionals-with-SWs thing is considerably awesome, and should be restricted. Had an Orc Thrower with Accurate and Bombs, on a team with six ST4 players and a Troll, and it was ridiculously broken; after two games of insanity, it wasn't even fun for me, the coach playing it.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.