Protecting the little guys from the dwarven menace

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Protecting the little guys from the dwarven menace

Post by Corvidius »

plasmoid wrote:Hi Corvidius (and others),
Dwarves pay for what they get
So the dwarven advantage isn't that they're super hard with thick skull and 8-9 AV?
And it's not that they're reliable with Block on almost everyone?
Nor is it that they get strength-skill access on everyone?
It's that they got a free butchery game against teams that are already tier 2 anyway?
It's almost like the dwarves should play like they had a pair!
Stunty Teams have a hard time against Dwarves but they'd have just as hard a time against a human lineman with Block and Tackle who'd earned his spps
Ah - nope. Against 5 or more linemen with block and tackle - and their block frenzy friends...
I'm not saying Dwarves don't have advantages. Av8-9 Thick Skull is awesome but they're slow. Block is great as a reliable skill but they're Ag 2 (mostly). Strength Access is fantastic but no Ag access sucks. They point is that these are all bonuses/negatives in the team which balance out (mostly). Why should a Dwarf Lineman (or any Tackler in the initial premise) be better at beating up a Human Catcher (Same Strength, Av and Dodge Skill) than he is at beating up a Goblin?

Reason: ''
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Corvidus,
Why should a Dwarf Lineman (or any Tackler in the initial premise) be better at beating up a Human Catcher (Same Strength, Av and Dodge Skill) than he is at beating up a Goblin?
Fluff: Because they're small and hard to catch.
Gameplay: Because the stunty teams are already tier 2 - no need to hose them any further.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

plasmoid wrote:Hi Corvidus,
Why should a Dwarf Lineman (or any Tackler in the initial premise) be better at beating up a Human Catcher (Same Strength, Av and Dodge Skill) than he is at beating up a Goblin?
Fluff: Because they're small and hard to catch.
Gameplay: Because the stunty teams are already tier 2 - no need to hose them any further.

Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin,

Dwarves are small too so the size differential wouldn't be large enough to make them hard to catch. The hard to catch part is already represented by Stunty/Titchy. With Stunty already being slightly toned down it's much better and is representative of the fluff.

Thanks,

John-Ross.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Corvidus,
Dwarves are small too so the size differential wouldn't be large enough to make them hard to catch.
Well, let me just check your Fantasy Football Physics Diploma :wink:
The size differential is large enough.
Stunty means that the player is short.
And Dwarfs don't get to ignore it.
The hard to catch part is already represented by Stunty/Titchy. With Stunty already being slightly toned down it's much better and is representative of the fluff.
I suppose the 'better' is what is in question.
The suggested house rule could be simply added on to stunty.
But that would be a (too) big help for lizardmen.

Right Stuff is also telling of the player's physique - not all players are built to be thrown 25 metres.
And apparantly it is a slightly different thing than stunty (see skinks).
So Right Stuff could easily describe the nimbleness that also makes him hard to pin in a block.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Dwarves are small too so the size differential wouldn't be large enough to make them hard to catch. The hard to catch part is already represented by Stunty/Titchy. With Stunty already being slightly toned down it's much better and is representative of the fluff.

If you imagine the halfling weighing 5 stone more then its pretty acurate BB proportions IMO.

I kinda imagine snotlings would be the same size as chiuauas. Seeing as the random effect card frog has AV4 (I think)

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

I'm up for testing it WHEN you do another plasmoid test rules tourney!

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Tone down tackle!

Tackle - when you roll a defender stumbles result, the player instead goes down - but do not roll against armour.

How's that? I know the wording is crap, but there you have it.

Or may need to be just for Right Stuff players, so the right stuff just negates the armour roll (and injury roll) when downed by a tackle skill on defender stumbles.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

Dwarves blockers may have low AG, no access to AG and slow.

What makes them so great is that they already perfect for their position. They are blockers! And damn good at it from the beggining. They don't need all those things that has been taken from them.

Flings are no blockers, no blitzers, no passers, no runners and they don't even know how to land properly( but in all fairness, they can land. Not everyone can do even that). They do however know how to dodge and rely entirely on the fact that "tackle" isn't a starting skill and therefore only a few player will have it. Except in dwarves teams.

So I understand not wanting to play against dorfs and agree that tackle could be toned down.

How to do that I leave to the coaches more wise than me.

btw: @inkpwn, nice pic!

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Afroman wrote: btw: @inkpwn, nice pic!
Thanks, it the D&D 3.5 character size guide, the male one has orcs (well half orcs) at the same height as humans, which I thought was wrong. With this one being a tad more accurate to my interpritation of blood bowl.