Protecting the little guys from the dwarven menace

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Protecting the little guys from the dwarven menace

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
I know I've very recently posted this in another thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.
Also bringing this to my mind is the fact that just this week myself and 7 friends have been setting up a veterans league. Simple rules: We've got established (TV140-160) rosters for all teams, so just pick the one you like the best.

2 coaches had stated they wanted to play stunties, but when both dwarves and chaos dwarves were confirmed, both backed down!
That's just too sad.

therefore, I give you:
Make Right Stuff void Tackle on blocks (and blitzes).
I know what the knee-jerk reaction will be: That'll make stunties unstoppable!

But think about it:
*Is it possible to beat a blodge team - even without tackle?
*The stunties are ST2, so easy victims for 3-dice blocks.
*The stunties don't have access to block/wrestle, so most of them will be easy enough to handle.
*ReRolls, Frenzy, Pro and Wrestle can also take them down. (Strip ball can knock the ball lose)
*They're still low AV with +1 on the injury.
*And they can still be pinned with tackle, diving tackle, tentacles and shadowing.

But it would protect them from the wholesale slaughter when facing (Chaos) Dwarfs.
And it would protect them (a bit) once opposing teams develop dedicated killers.

It would help Ogre teams, gobbo teams, ½ling teams and underworld teams. But not lizardman teams.

Thanks for listening :D
Cheers
Martin

Reason: ''
Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: Protecting the little guys from the dwarven menace

Post by inkpwn »

They don't need help, dwarfs need a chance to get that spp from killing stunties they don't get from touchdowns. 1/2lings are dwarf candys. ;)

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

Give the stunties a free wandering apothecary, or take loner off their journeymen. Or give them the Warmachine rulebook and point to the 'Play Like You've Got a Pair' rule.

*shrugs*

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
Melipone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Melipone »

I don't have much to add other than I really really like it. Having a skill cancel a cancelling skill feels like a bit of a hack, and maybe like you're plastering over bad design decisions. Oh wait.. :) But the end result is nice.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Bad design decisions? They are designed to suck.

On topic, I think its interesting, but am not convinced of the necessity.

TheDoctor
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TheDoctor »

Playing both Goblins and Ogres I'd love to see that rule in action. Yet I have to agree with nazgob, these teams should remain tier 3. Still like the idea though :wink:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Thumbs up from me - the stunties will still suck, but at least they'll survive a little longer before the inevitable "Tackle-death game" that they all (at least mine) seem to suffer somewhere down the line.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I think it's a great idea, and should have made LRB6 (but didn't because of reasonable playtesting decisions). Tackle would still work on dodges, so the little guys would still be stuffed. And this doesn't affect Skinks, which is important.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I would say yes on Blocks but not on blitzes, sort of like a reverse juggernaut effect

that way you allow the Dwarvish team the ability to make the last gasp heroic tackle effort but not crunch them in a simple cage effort.

just my tuppence

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Like it, and like Voyager's tuppence.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Oxynot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oxynot »

Having played more than few matches with ogres and also a few witch chaos dwarves against stunties, I must say I really like th gist of it. But I would like to hear how it works out in practice before final judgment.

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

Hmm, I like it. One small tweak though.

All Goblins, Snotlings, and Halflings are immune to Tackle Blocks only from Dwarf and Chaos Dwarf Linemen.

Small tweak as you can still be beat up by other leveled players on CD and D teams. So for example, you give a Dwarf Blitzer tackle, that player can go nuts on the wee ones.

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

A very interesting idea. But Orcs have to lose their Goblins first :pissed:

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

I have to say that I don't like the idea, i've got an Ogre team and fair enough the snotlings suck against Dwarves of any type (so do my Goblins on my Goblin team) but i'm fine with that.

Dwarves pay for what they get in the same way elves do, it's like saying lets make elves ag 3 if against stunties. The comment about playing like you've got a pair is exactly right. My Ogres suffered a 2-0 defeat against Dwarves on Wednesday that also end 6-2 to my opponent on casualties. It's just what happens, Stunty Teams have a hard time against Dwarves but they'd have just as hard a time against a human lineman with Block and Tackle who'd earned his spps.

Stunty Teams are fun, they require you to accept that you will most probably lose, this means you take your pleasures where you can. I lost 7-1 against a Wood Elf Coach but the OTT made my day (as did my Snotling breaking his lineelves neck :)). You have to think creatively with Stunties and it's a challenge not many are up to. If you have to play Dwarves now and again, so be it. Bombs and Fanatics will help you mess them up, so will 2 Trolls or Trees (or 6 Ogres).

:)

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Corvidius (and others),
Dwarves pay for what they get
So the dwarven advantage isn't that they're super hard with thick skull and 8-9 AV?
And it's not that they're reliable with Block on almost everyone?
Nor is it that they get strength-skill access on everyone?
It's that they got a free butchery game against teams that are already tier 2 anyway?
It's almost like the dwarves should play like they had a pair!
Stunty Teams have a hard time against Dwarves but they'd have just as hard a time against a human lineman with Block and Tackle who'd earned his spps
Ah - nope. Against 5 or more linemen with block and tackle - and their block frenzy friends...

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead