Regen vs Apoth

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Regen vs Apoth

Post by Xeterog »

While playing FUMBBL's blackbox FFB division the last month or so, I've noted a lot of people commenting on how Regen is so much better than having an apothecary. For some reason, I hadn't even considered this before, but it's pretty much true. Regen heals any injury 50% of the time for every player that has it, while the apothecary will save a player 'only' 4/6th of the time (and 1 out of 4 times, the player will still miss the next game). Now granted, sometimes a Stat reduction doesn't mean the player will get sacked (for me, niggles will stay on the team, and depending on the player a -stat isn't a fireable offense)--with the option to guarantee getting a player back in the game if they are only BH or keeping them on the pitch on a KO (for me, rarely used options)

I know many playing in the Blackbox, only consider the apothecary to work 50% of the time, but still, it does seem that regeneration is a big winner in CRP.

A few ideas I had to address this are:

1) Regen moves the player to the KO box instead of the reserves
2) Regen moves the player to the BH box
3) Regen moves a BH player to reserves, a SI'd player to KO, and Dead to BH (think I like this one the best, actually).

any one of these would sitll save the players at the same rate, but make them not as available to be used later in the game.

(of course, rules aren't changing anytime soon, so this would have to be a house rule to use..so no using it in online games..just a thought)

Reason: ''
-Xeterog
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: Regen vs Apoth

Post by inkpwn »

I would just be glad to see regen go alltogether, but if it just moved them to the ko box that would be an improvment.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

I actually like premise 3 best

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I like #3 too. I don't like #2.

From a team management perspective, I'd much rather have an Apothecary than Regenerate on a Necromantic team. When those critical, high-value AV8 Wights and Weres go down, they often take your game with them, but the 50% chance of saving a Zombie isn't nearly as big a deal. Ditto Nurgle; those guys are pricey. Regenerate is better on Khemri teams, where most of the players are fairly cheap. Undead teams go through a lot of Ghouls, and those guys would develop much better if the team had an Apothecary.

Nurgle and Khemri are very playable, but far from overpowered. Undead are one of the best teams, but not out of control by any means. Necromantic are somewhere in between. I don't see the need to nerf Regenerate. It was crazy way back when it was 2+, but now it seems to be a nice balance.

If Regenerate is a problem in your league, try #3. If that doesn't work, try #1.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.