Break tackle treated the same as dodge

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Stonecloud
Rookie
Rookie

Break tackle treated the same as dodge

Post by Stonecloud »

My group had a good long talk about this. The basic arguement is dodge is worth to much to the agi teams, when the same skill point spent on break tackle is worth half as much. I was thinking for the upcoming season, I was going to allow break tackle to work just like dodge when defending. So someone with break tackle does not go down on a POW!. Please let me know your thoughts.

Reason: ''
Raziel_Spry
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Break tackle treated the same as dodge

Post by Raziel_Spry »

Break Tackle is a strength skill, which means what you're suggesting would provide a massive advantage for big guys, and bash teams which wouldn't usually get that access. I think it would break the balance. A lot.

Just don't dodge away, and make the most of other awesome Strength skills like Guard Mighty Blow and Piling On. Or ditch your bashy team and get some elves :)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I agree with Raziel - there's a reason why the Strength teams (rarely) get access to Dodge on a normal roll.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

I use Break Tackle on my Ogres and it's awesome enough as it is, if you roll a double and combine it with dodge you can get some very manouvrable players.

Your option would also devalue the Dodge skill on doubles. I'm aware that it's an uncommon choice on Big Guys or even Strength 4 guys. Folk would just take BT because it would become better than dodge for less tv which would also skew the balance of the game IMO.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Break tackle is valuable enough as it is. Its primary use as a repositioning tool for your big guys so they can't be bogged down away from the action serves it purpose. On the other hand (as mentioned above) I think you would be giving too much of an advantage to big guys and throw the balance of the game out. Anyway, let's face it, big guys are already hard enough to kill as it is...now you're going to allow them to stay around even longer. I'd hate to play against a Pact team with this rule.

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

While Dodge is a great skill, I disagree that Dodge is "worth too much" to the point that a strength counterpart is needed. First, there is a hard counter in the form of Tackle, a general skill. Second, the strength skill set is already very good, with at least 2 great combinations such as Guard/Stand Firm and Mighty Blow/Piling On.

IMHO the only case of Dodge abuse is the Amazon roster. However Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs are well equipped against it, and any tier 1 team can develop a reasonable counter.

I also think that Break Tackle is already a good skill, especially for Big Guys but also for any ST4+ players (Mummies, Tomb Guardians, Sauruses,...)

Stonecloud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stonecloud »

Sorry had a full last few days at work. The main reason we talked about this is to help the Khermi team out. It got killed, the mummies really needed bandages. I didnt take into account the TV difference. We will look for different ways, I didnt like it to begin with, But, it was the main suggestion. Why I came here to ask. I understand the use, now I understand why its different. Thanks guys

Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Urb »

I think you're right though, khemri got killed.

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Khemri got killed. The solution is perhaps not to break the Orcs and Chaos Dwarfs. Why not post a houserule aimed at fixing Khemri directly, like giving the TGs some mediocre skill that seems appropriate along with a 10k cost bump? Or bump up their cost and give them G skills.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Stonecloud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stonecloud »

The Khermi team in my league got killed, sorry should have been clearer. Its a small league, 6 teams, mostly used as an excuss for us to get drunk once a month or so. After a check of the rosters noone else has break tackle in the league, Hell only 2 teams would even think of getting it, the khermi and the orc team. The rest are agi teams.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

If Break Tackle gave the protection Dodge does then I think you'd find it a very common skill on all S access players (just in the same way Dodge is very common for A access players).

If you've a problem with Khemri (and they are difficult) then fix Khemri...

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

DoubleSkulls wrote:If Break Tackle gave the protection Dodge does then I think you'd find it a very common skill on all S access players (just in the same way Dodge is very common for A access players).

If you've a problem with Khemri (and they are difficult) then fix Khemri...
In a short league, I would definitely consider removing Decay from the Tomb Guardians as a house rule. I understand why it could be problem in the long term if these ST5 players live too long but in the short term it would help the team not to get destroyed too easily when things go wrong.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Khemri aren't supposed to win...they're just supposed to kill everyone else. Whoever it is playig Khemri should come to grips with the roll he's going to play in your league......Death Dealer. :wink:

Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

why not have Break Tackle also actually "break" Tackle...as in, cancels the tackle skill when someone blocks you (but not when dodging). useless unless you also have dodge...

-Xeterog
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Break Tackle is a good skill on a small number of players (Bull Centaurs, Saurus, Mummies and Tomb Guardians in particular). It doesn't need changing.

Strength teams are probably more capable of winning long running leagues than agility teams, so we don't need a general boost to teams with S access.

I'm not overly fond of anti-anti-skills. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams