Narrow Tiers and Galaks Wish List

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Narrow Tiers and Galaks Wish List

Post by koadah »

plasmoid wrote:...
Taking away dodge makes the S access players more vulnerable. With AV7 it should be a lot easier to get rid of them as many teams will not have tackle early on.

If they take dodge first that slows down their route to POMB, guard.

I don't fancy wrestle on the S access players. I wouldn't want block & wrestle on 4 of them.
Any of the linos can take wrestle especially the line fodder.

Wrestle makes them bit of a wuss team IMO. Would you use them?

Reason: ''
koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

theghr wrote:
The data doesn't necessarily show that DEs are broken. Many coaches would struggle to have any success with DEs and struggle to keep them alive.

It could well be that in your league the DE coaches are just the stronger coaches.
How "many" is many? When the stats tells such a compelling story?
Compelling? How? They have a good win% so why isn't everyone using them?

DEs only average 8.96 games per team compared to 16.89 for chaos. Only the tier 2/3 teams and other elves have fewer.

In that league it the C-POMB teams that dominate. Generally IMO many teams don't take enough tackle which helps the elves.

Yes. Lies, damned lies... ;)

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

koadah wrote:They have a good win% so why isn't everyone using them?
As Dode has shown, in that format at least, win% is a poor guide to popularity.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

koadah wrote:
theghr wrote:
The data doesn't necessarily show that DEs are broken. Many coaches would struggle to have any success with DEs and struggle to keep them alive.

It could well be that in your league the DE coaches are just the stronger coaches.
How "many" is many? When the stats tells such a compelling story?
Compelling? How? They have a good win% so why isn't everyone using them?

DEs only average 8.96 games per team compared to 16.89 for chaos. Only the tier 2/3 teams and other elves have fewer.

In that league it the C-POMB teams that dominate. Generally IMO many teams don't take enough tackle which helps the elves.

Yes. Lies, damned lies... ;)
I played dark elves in a TT league and had the same experience. I won most of my games, but most of the other teams were bash and therefore competing in getting a guard advantage rather than tackle to stop me... And out of the 10 players in the league there is only 2 coaches around my level, the rest is worse.

Edit: I agree that dark elves is a strong team, at least after a couple of games when they are blodged up, but I don't think they are over the top.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Koadah,
Taking away dodge makes the S access players more vulnerable. With AV7 it should be a lot easier to get rid of them as many teams will not have tackle early on.
But I don't want to get rid of dodge.
Ask pretty much anyone to name the current unique feature/appeal of the amazon team, and I feel fairly confident they'd bring up the all-dodge schtick. I do not want to make amazons into something else.
A small but significant nerf is what I'm looking for. But one that keeps amazons amazons.

Similarly, with the dwarf team, I did not go with many of the interesting suggestions like moving tackle from linemen to blitzers, stripping block from everyone, etc. I swapped juggernaut for block on the slayers. And my playtester says it makes a real difference.
I don't fancy wrestle on the S access players. I wouldn't want block & wrestle on 4 of them.
I wouldn't either. But I might do it on one or 2 hitters. Or just go with frenzy as the source of more knockdowns.
Any of the linos can take wrestle especially the line fodder.
Yes, they can, and currently they do: Start with blodgers, build some wrodgers.
Starting with wrodgers instead I suppose coaches will build some blodgers.
I know wrestle isn't optimal on the S-gals. But I'm trying to do a nerf, not just a random tweak.
Wrestle makes them bit of a wuss team IMO. Would you use them?
Yes, I think I would - though in all fairness that's hardly conclusive :wink:.
In a POMB-heavy league I suspect blodge+fend and wrodge+fend would still have a lot of appeal.
The NTBB rules do also nerf Piling On - so in an NTBB league I'd probably be tempted to work either a blodge sidestep angle, or a wrodge jump up angle. I think these girls could be quite tricky to deal with in a scrum.

Either way, I get to ask a question too, right? :orc:
Is it really your contention that a skill tweak changing the result of bothdown on the block dice (block => wrestle) will take the team from the top of tier 1 (possibly above tier 1) all the way down, past the middle, into the bottom of tier 1 or perhaps even into tier 2.
I suppose only playtesting can tell for sure, but I personally find that quite hard to believe.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

plasmoid wrote: Either way, I get to ask a question too, right? :orc:
Is it really your contention that a skill tweak changing the result of bothdown on the block dice (block => wrestle) will take the team from the top of tier 1 (possibly above tier 1) all the way down, past the middle, into the bottom of tier 1 or perhaps even into tier 2.
I suppose only playtesting can tell for sure, but I personally find that quite hard to believe.

Cheers
Martin
No, it isn't. It's that you're turning them into a wuss team that I wouldn't really want to use. ;)

Though thinking some more I'm not sure when this team would ever actually be good. You won't have block until others have tackle and you still have to fear a dwarf train wreck. ;)

So, I suppose my real question is how many people would actually use them?

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Heh, how the hell should I know? :wink:
But I'm guessing a lot of the people they appealed to before, minus those that only played them because they were too good, but plus those coaches that liked them but would have felt dirty for playing them 8)

I guess they'd appeal to:
Anyone who doesn't like taking too many armor rolls.
Anyone who likes a lot of dodge, while still having ST3 (disgruntled stunty coaches?)
Anyone who wants to try to survive the CPOMB, without actually making a CPOMB team of their own.
Anyone who thinks all-A-access is interesting, but has tried it with elfs and ended up spending all skill picks on blodge and making cuts to keep TV down.
Girls :wink:

Personally, I'd love to try out the stuff you can do with A-skills. As stated earlier, sidestep and jump up come to mind.

Cheers
Martin

koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

plasmoid wrote:
Heh, how the hell should I know? :wink:
But I'm guessing a lot of the people they appealed to before, minus those that only played them because they were too good, but plus those coaches that liked them but would have felt dirty for playing them 8)
Yeah, they're so good that I hear my team is the only zon team in the Crown of Sand.

And just for a laugh Nuffle threw us in with the dwarves. :D
If I beat four straight dwarf teams to qualify I'll stop moaning. ;)

Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Lunchab1es »

Just read through the 2012 update. I've got to say I really like what I'm reading. I am minorly concerned that high level bash teams might be a bit overly nerfed (pion nerf, fouling boost, spiraling expenses change, bank change...) but maybe I am just afraid of change :D

Speaking of fear of change, the bank rule seems a bit confusing to me... It may just be because I don't grasp thing too well until I see them in practice, but I'm a big fan of keeping things as simple as possible.

I really like the sneaky bit change... Can't wait to give it to my goblins! :evil:

Looking for: 5th ed Human Thrower #2
theghr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by theghr »

Something that is not factored into the statistics is the standard of the coaches and that people play for all sorts of different reasons. All the ones I have seen focus on win %.

Not everyone will do their utmost to win every game they play, in fact in a league this can be a bad overall strategy. Some players only want to cause casualties, others to team build, just focus on 1 star player, tell a story with the team or many other reasons. Even in a resurrection style tabletop tournament there will often be awards for most cas, TD’s, wooden spoon or something else, so if a player has no chance of being in the top tables they may aim for one of these titles over winning every remaining game.

So maybe if in a league where everyone tried their utmost to win every game then Chaos would actually have a 75% win rate, it is just that attract killer coaches who ignore the ball. Equally Wood Elves could have a 40% as they are harder to play long term and tend to attract the best coaches.

I think the most interesting examples are Orcs and Humans. Both of those teams ar every popular but usually have pretty low win rates. The general consensus I see is that Orcs are a very good team at low to mid TV but just average at high TV, whilst humans are mediocre to start with and end up being quite weak at mid to high TV. A common explanation for the poor performance of Orcs is that they are favoured by new players since you get Orcs in the boxed set, they are easy to use and they are a popular 40K and Fantasy race so easy to convert for TT.
I'm sorry for my cpr not being able to quote allright, but this is interesting. Dark Elves has a total of 233 in total basic stats when counting the top 11 players from bottom to the top of their roster. Norse has 213. What happens when the teams are maxed out you say? ;) Well, they still has that statistic advantage, not counting skills of course. So is the skills DE have to choose from so much worse than Norses? DE generally has GA and SP, while Norses has GX and AX. I'm asking experienced coaches if Norses skills makes up for the Dark Elves better stats.

Goldbaek is my hero
Juriel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Juriel »

I'm asking experienced coaches if Norses skills makes up for the Dark Elves better stats.
Only in the very beginning do skills make up for better stats. And this drops off FAST as the better-stat players start getting their own skills.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Lunchab1es,
I'm glad to hear that you like the 2012 update. I'm very happy with it myself. You managed to spot it on the site before I had even announced it, so there is one more change - after discussion with my vampire coach vampires will be losing the reroll discount that they had. The Thick Skull bonus is quite sufficient.
I am minorly concerned that high level bash teams might be a bit overly nerfed (pion nerf, fouling boost, spiraling expenses change, bank change...)
The Bank and SE changes are to prevent teams to go to 250+ TV.
I think high level bash will still be doing quite well around 220 8)
As for the pion nerf, hopefully big bash will be forced into other lanes of development - they can still win games with guard, tackle and bash. They certainly did in the past - before the metagame got skewed. As for fouling - I'm sure big bash will be in on the action too :wink:
Speaking of fear of change, the bank rule seems a bit confusing to me... It may just be because I don't grasp thing too well until I see them in practice, but I'm a big fan of keeping things as simple as possible.
It's quite simple really. Maybe I should look at the wording.
But, in shorthand: At postgame (or team creation) you can hide up to 100K. This cash will not be available until next postgame. All other cash counts towards TV.
Clearer?
I really like the sneaky bit change... Can't wait to give it to my goblins!
Hehe.. indeed.
Gobbos will like it. Gobbo secret weapons will like it even more :orc:

Cheers
Martin

theghr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by theghr »

Only in the very beginning do skills make up for better stats. And this drops off FAST as the better-stat players start getting their own skills.
I was aiming at the available skills to choose from, if those make up for the 20 more in basic stats that the DE hold over Norses and many others too i might say. That is about 2 points higher stats per starting player. Maybe that's the way to go, to change all DE players basic strenght to 2, save for blitzers perhaps. Just so that we aint gonna have one coach who wins nearly all tourneys. Or maybe it's more fitting to make Norses stronger than 3, they should be anyhow as far as i'm concerned. At the end of the day i'm just looking for balance here.

Goldbaek is my hero
dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

theghr wrote:
I was aiming at the available skills to choose from, if those make up for the 20 more in basic stats that the DE hold over Norses and many others too i might say. That is about 2 points higher stats per starting player. Maybe that's the way to go, to change all DE players basic strenght to 2, save for blitzers perhaps. Just so that we aint gonna have one coach who wins nearly all tourneys. Or maybe it's more fitting to make Norses stronger than 3, they should be anyhow as far as i'm concerned. At the end of the day i'm just looking for balance here.
You seem to have a real grudge against elves...
Norse is a great starter team because of all the skills, but later the AV7 hurts them.
Dark elves is in the other end, they lack skills early on, but later when they have accuired those skills, their good stats help them a lot.

If you give norse a stat bonus, they become even better at low TV, where they already rock. The same with (dark) elves, if you make them weaker (lower stats), they will REALLY suck at low TV.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
Juriel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Juriel »

If you wish to nerf DE in the long term, remove A access from linemen.

Improving Norse lot in life in the higher TVs is difficult without affecting their already good low-TV performance. It's all that AV7 that is their bane, because if they lose players faster than the opponent, they will keep losing players and are totally !censored!. An overall nerf to Piling On and a boost to fouling should help them a ton.