Narrow Tiers and Galaks Wish List

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Narrow Tiers and Galaks Wish List

Post by dode74 »

Is there a tutorial for PBeM anywhere?

Regarding league data, would you consider Cyanide scheduled leagues as valid?

Reason: ''
Melipone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Melipone »

Heya - I recall after LRB 6 was finalized Galak said that another thing that he'd have changed was having diving tackle and prehensile tail work against leap, to counter slann and stop the unchecked ag 5 leap rolls. Did that come up in the discussion of the wishlist? Otherwise this would seem like a good time to add it.

Great work Martin :)

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Dode,
if you download the pbem tool (http://www.midgardbb.com/PBeMTool/pbemb ... on_002.zip) then there is a tutorial doc included in the ini folder.

I don't know much about Cyanide scheduled leagues. I think it would be mostly valid, but some doubts could be raised about results, because there are a fair few bugs that make things work differently than intended. AFAIK. (That's not to mention potential disconnects - I figure they don't happen in a private league).

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Melipone,
thanks.

Actually, that rule never made it all the way to Galaks list. And while I think it would be a neat rule I'm really trying to restrain myself from adding more stuff than I absolutely have to.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Hey Martin, really like what you're doing. Had a good look at your rules for the first time today. Great stuff.

Personally, my main issue with the current rosters is purely thematic (as though I'd like some standardisation of rosters, that's for another rant), so I propose some "fixes" below. These aren't costed, or necessarily fair, but they may give you some food for thought.

Khemri: Why do Khemri linemen have thicker skulls than, say, humans? My personal, thematic fix would be to give all the players nerves of steel instead and the blitz-ras or throw-ra (renamed [road] "run-ra"?) dump off. It feels much more in keeping with the background and gives them a fun and slightly mental backup option - just pitch the ball into the scrum!

Amazons: Zons are a running team with pointless pass and catch access. They don't fit the playing style of the team, or the theme, particularly well at all. I'd like to see hunters and gatherers introduced instead - so the passer loses pass and gains sure hands (to become a gatherer) and the catcher becomes a hunter. The revised catcher in your list is, I personally feel, totally redundant, by the way - she's 20k over a LW for the catch skill only... basically, since the linewomen have gained A access, there's nothing tempting me to pick the catcher at all. So I'd personally give her +1 movement and replace catch with shadowing, even if it meant a cost increase.

Slann: Whatever happened to kickers in blood bowl? I think you can see where this is going... :)

And entering into more extreme territory now:

I'd drop the Mino from the Chaos Dwarfs and switch the Deathroller over from the Dwarf roster, perhaps with a price drop.

Necromantic and Undead are too similar in make up. I know this is pretty much never going to happen and would wind up a lot of people, but I'd remove skellies from Undead completely, rename the mummies (to Flesh Golem), rebrand the Wights to something more fleshy, and kill the Necromantic team completely. Sorry, werewolves. Go see if the Vampire team will let you play with them.

Anyway, sorry to bore you - just a couple of unsolicited thoughts I figured I'd share! keep up the good work :)

S

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Shteve0 wrote: Khemri: Why do Khemri linemen have thicker skulls than, say, humans? My personal, thematic fix would be to give all the players nerves of steel instead and the blitz-ras or throw-ra (renamed [road] "run-ra"?) dump off. It feels much more in keeping with the background and gives them a fun and slightly mental backup option - just pitch the ball into the scrum!
the skeletons don't get knocked out so easy, being skeletons and all (no brain or flesh)...
Shteve0 wrote: Amazons: Zons are a running team with pointless pass and catch access. They don't fit the playing style of the team, or the theme, particularly well at all. I'd like to see hunters and gatherers introduced instead - so the passer loses pass and gains sure hands (to become a gatherer) and the catcher becomes a hunter. The revised catcher in your list is, I personally feel, totally redundant, by the way - she's 20k over a LW for the catch skill only... basically, since the linewomen have gained A access, there's nothing tempting me to pick the catcher at all. So I'd personally give her +1 movement and replace catch with shadowing, even if it meant a cost increase.
The idea is to nerf the short time, not boost (which sure hands would do and changing the catch for a more useful skill)
Shteve0 wrote: Slann: Whatever happened to kickers in blood bowl? I think you can see where this is going... :)
I'd drop the Mino from the Chaos Dwarfs and switch the Deathroller over from the Dwarf roster, perhaps with a price drop.
Why?
Shteve0 wrote: Necromantic and Undead are too similar in make up. I know this is pretty much never going to happen and would wind up a lot of people, but I'd remove skellies from Undead completely, rename the mummies (to Flesh Golem), rebrand the Wights to something more fleshy, and kill the Necromantic team completely. Sorry, werewolves. Go see if the Vampire team will let you play with them.
again why, teams are not more similar than the elf teams and have really different playing styles.

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

The comments all just come from a purely personal perspective on flavour. I'm not rooted in them, I just think a little tidying up of flavour - making the teams more individual, with streamlined rosters - would be fantastic to see. But I realise that few others will care, and even fewer will agree, so I'll leave it :D
Tourach wrote:the skeletons don't get knocked out so easy, being skeletons and all (no brain or flesh)...
Yeah, I get it, but fluff wise "thick skull" seems weird to me. Purely flavour :)
Tourach wrote:The idea is to nerf the short time, not boost (which sure hands would do and changing the catch for a more useful skill)
Ok, sure. But you can see what I mean about the catchers being totally redundant? They're little more than a lineposition that pays 20k for a useless skill. I'm serious, I can't see that I'd pick them at all. How many positionals on other teams can you honestly say that about? And I'll hazard that swapping out block for wrestle on the blitzers may be a little more of a nerf than intended. I usually aim up to develop 2x MB/tackle and 2xGuard/SF, and this breaks that, and (what I believe is) their whole running/bash-lite style of play is out. I'd honestly say that risking a whole play style of the team without strengthening its ability elsewhere will put this team back quite a lot. Hopefully playtesting will prove me very, very wrong!

I guess wouldn't mind seeing:
0-16 Linewoman 6 3 3 7 Dodge, GA
0-2 Thrower 6 3 3 7 Dodge, Pass GPA
0-4 Hunter 6 3 3 7 Dodge, Wrestle GA
0-4 (or even 0-2) Blitzer 7 3 3 7 Dodge, GSA

That'd give you the swap out of block for wrestle but still allow you to build effective blitzers with some development. Just please don't ask me to price these players :)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Why amazon catchers? They have agility access.

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Chris wrote:Why amazon catchers? They have agility access.
well yes but in the ntbb all amazone players have it ...
The last roster seems fine actually!

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more I agree with myself :). The Catcher is a near total waste of space, given that this this team is far too slow to play a lasting passing game and otherwise offers nothing for a 20k premium.

Moreover, I can think of few occasions where I'd want any S-access player to have wrestle, let alone all of them. It doesn't work with MB or guard remotely, and you now have collapsible cage corners - so your running game is knackered. I can't really see them skilling up much, either.

I know a lot of people hate the blodge spam on this team, but I think there are ways to fix this that pull short of total butchery. The A access is a nice touch, mind. Diving tackle linos welcomed here!

Juriel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Juriel »

Shteve0 wrote:Yeah, I get it, but fluff wise "thick skull" seems weird to me. Purely flavour :)
It IS flavorful that skeletons don't get KOed as much as people. People get KOed because their brains slosh around their skull, skellies don't have such. Nor do dwarves.
Necromantic and Undead are too similar in make up.
In make up, yes. But they are very different in actual gameplay. It's a remarkable difference from such small changes, you'd be surprised.

Now, elf teams, they're all the same. 8)

nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

Here's an idea to deal with the crossovers between Khemri, Undead and Necromantic....and I am tossing Vampires into the mix to do it.

Boil those four teams down to three.

Keep Khemri as it is.

Take Skeletons off of the Undead team. Leave them to the Khemri people. Leave team as is otherwise.

Take Zombies, Ghouls and Wights off of the Necromantic team. Add vampires (0-4) and thralls (0-16). Make rerolls 60K. Keep WW's and FG's as is and both at 0-2. Team gets apothecary.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Vampires and Werewolves on the same team? Are you mental? Have you not seen Twilight? :o

:wink:

koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

dode74 wrote:Vampires and Werewolves on the same team? Are you mental? Have you not seen Twilight? :o

Strangely enough no. :o

nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

dode74 wrote:Vampires and Werewolves on the same team? Are you mental? Have you not seen Twilight? :o

It's more of a mythos thing.....Vampires, Werewolves and Frankenstein's monster (ie flesh golems) all occupy similar mythos in popular culture.