Skill changes that might be of interest, if not over powered

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Changes to be included on the list - Very Long Legs

Poll ended at Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Very Long Legs should give a +1 bonus to the players movement allowance when using Shadowing (Shadow Bonus)
33%
Very Long Legs should give a +1 bonus to Agility when using Jump Up (Jump Up Bonus)
No votes
Very Long Legs should give both the Shadow Bonus and Jump Up Bonus
33%
Very Long Legs should give some other bonus that I will discuss in this thread
No votes
Very Long Legs should stay exactly the way it is.
33%

Total votes: 3

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Skill changes that might be of interest, if not over powered

Post by legowarrior »

I'm trying to compile a list of suggested minor changes to under used (or overused) skills that have a strong backing from people on this forum. This list will be updated as necessary as time progresses.

Sure Feet - Allows the reroll of either Go For It or Landing Roll for when the player is thrown using the Throw Team Mate Skill.

Thank you.

Reason: ''
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Skill changes that might be of interest, if not over pow

Post by MKL »

legowarrior wrote: Sure Feet - A life saving skill, of that there is no doubt, but besides the rerolls of go for it, there is just not much to it. So, here is my idea, that might overpower Sure Feet. It has been suggested before. Sure Feet should let you reroll Go For It, Landings from Throw Team Mate, Lands from Leap and should cancel out Shadowing. This gives Stunty as reason to love Sure Feet, makes Slann want it as well, and might piss off a few Dark Elf Assassin.
I think Leap is powerful enough as it is :o
...and Shadowing is already a weak skill :(

GreedySmurf
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GreedySmurf »

legowarrior wrote: Sure Feet - A life saving skill, of that there is no doubt, but besides the rerolls of go for it, there is just not much to it. So, here is my idea, that might overpower Sure Feet. It has been suggested before. Sure Feet should let you reroll Go For It, Landings from Throw Team Mate, Lands from Leap and should cancel out Shadowing. This gives Stunty as reason to love Sure Feet, makes Slann want it as well, and might piss off a few Dark Elf Assassin.
Sure Feet is pretty good as is, a free reroll on GFI's is a good power level for a skill I think.

However a new skill that gives you a reroll on TTM Landings and Leaps would be a reasonable skill. Ticks the boxes anyway, it's situational, certainly wouldn't be a chocie for everybody, not overpowered.

legowarrior wrote: Stab - Simply a fun skill but against high AV players, nearly useless. Solution that fits? +1 to Break Armor Rolls when Fouling. Makes sense doesn't it? I have a knife, you are on the ground... why am I not using said knife on you?
Would really make the Delves kings of the foul, a Dirty Player + Stab + Sneaky Git assassin. Ouch! So in effect this change would only benefit one positional in the game (and a couple of Star players) so in effect you;re advocating a boost for the Dark Elf team.

legowarrior wrote: Pile on - Here is the idea, Pile On stays the same, but when you use it, you too have to roll a break armor check for your own player. Mighty Blow, and Claw are not used on this roll, since it is just like a failed Go For It. If the armor doesn't break, you are prone, and your turn continues. If the armor does break then you get stunned (no injuries or any sort, just stunned) but your turn also ends right there. What do you think?
You really don't want anyone using Piling On do you? This would all but kill Piling On IMO. Yes it's a stun at worst, but it's also a turnover! I can't see myself giving anyone Piling On with it changed in this fashion.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

Good!

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

So, I think I alter this thread to a list of minor changes people suggest that a plurality of the people that comment on that thread approve of. I'll beginning later on by editing my first post later to, and I hope to updated as more ideas that are reasonable are added.

bruce888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bruce888 »

In my league Stab is a +1 to the Armour roll for both block and foul. The assassin also has MA7 otherwise what's the point of Shadowing, which is an Ability roll with +1 if the Shadowing players MA is greater than the dodging player, +0 if their MA is equal, and -1 if the Shadowing players MA is lower than the dodging power.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

First off, awesome 6-year necro!
Second...
bruce888 wrote:Shadowing, which is an Ability roll with +1 if the Shadowing players MA is greater than the dodging player, +0 if their MA is equal, and -1 if the Shadowing players MA is lower than the dodging power.
Is that complete change to Shadowing a house rule? Because that's not how Shadowing works:
Shadowing (General)
The player may use this skill when a player performing an Action on the
opposing team moves out of any of his tackle zones for any reason. The
opposing coach rolls 2D6 adding his own player’s movement allowance
and subtracting the Shadowing player's movement allowance from the
score. If the final result is 7 or less, the player with Shadowing may move
into the square vacated by the opposing player.
He does not have to
make any Dodge rolls when he makes this move, and it has no effect on
his own movement in his own turn. If the final result is 8 or more, the
opposing player successfully avoids the Shadowing player and the
Shadowing player may not move into the vacated square. A player may
make any number of shadowing moves per turn. If a player has left the
tackle zone of several players that have the Shadowing skill, then only
one of the opposing players may attempt to shadow him.

bruce888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bruce888 »

Yes it's a house rule, as the way it works now is way to weak, as is tentacles and many other skills. The game is geared towards bash to much. But I do like the violence and blood in the game, just want mediocre skills upgraded a little and more emphasis on passing. I've done this by introducing a ball handle ability

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Ok, so did you mean Agility roll?

bruce888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bruce888 »

Yes it's an Agility roll as follows

Shadow players Ma is greater than the dodging player.......+1
Shadow players Ma is equal to the dodging player.........+0
Shadow players Ma is lower than the dodging player.........-1

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

GreedySmurf wrote:Sure Feet is pretty good as is, a free reroll on GFI's is a good power level for a skill I think.

However a new skill that gives you a reroll on TTM Landings and Leaps would be a reasonable skill. Ticks the boxes anyway, it's situational, certainly wouldn't be a chocie for everybody, not overpowered.
Definitely overpowered imo.

A middle ground might be to give a reroll on landings in order to "stick" them, but the turn ends immediately. Still good for Leaping Guarders (making cages easier to crack is OK by me), but doesn't buff elves' already-filthy mobility or provide any benefit to TTM success.

Although the more I think about it, perhaps Sure Feet should be purely a "staying on your feet when executing complex manoeuvres" skill, permitting rrs on landings and preventing a turnover on failed dodges (like the old Stand Firm) but preventing further actions if used. Then the GFI-rr skill is renamed to something that reflects exertion for that extra few squares of movement, like Heart or Wheels or Extra Gear or Clutch.

As for Shadowing/Tentacles, the designers made them equivalent based on the stats of the positionals who receive the skills, ie 8+ for ST3 to escape ST5, 8+ for MV6, and provided RRs for the active player. This is a bit skewed however, since Tents stops all further action that turn, while Shadowing does not, making Tents technically better. Personally I'd look at perhaps shifting the RR back from the active player to the Shadower to make the two skills more equivalent. Bumping the numbers down by one for Shadowing only (ie 7+ for standard MV6) is another potential solution.