Boosting a tiny bit some skills (PB,BH,FA,VLL)

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Boosting a tiny bit some skills (PB,BH,FA,VLL)

Post by Greyhound »

Hi, in the context of tweaking some skills, and considering the often proposed change in Sneaky Git already in place (+1 to assist even in TZ) what do you think of these skill changes?

Pass Block: increase the movement to 4 squares, and allow the skill to be used on pass and hand off.
I thought the skill could be a little better and find some new use against the running/hand off game (for example against my lizardmen who hand off)

Big Hand: same as before and +1 to catch inacurate and bouncing balls
Not a major change, a slight boost to a good skill, which might make it more attractive and therefore more common. You wouldn't take it just for the boost, but you could consider the benefit.

Foul appearance: applies on fouling as well, not just on block.
A tiny change just because with fouling becoming more popular under several house rules it would become the only skill to defend you against the boot, and therefore make it interesting for a wrestle GR, or a pile on beastman.

Very Long Legs: same as before and +1 to shadowing
Really this is a shadowing boost, and it would make Shadowing more attractive to the Slanns.

Any comments?

Reason: ''
legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Boosting a tiny bit some skills (PB,BH,FA,VLL)

Post by legowarrior »

I like them, except the foul appearance one. Foul Appearance is a fun skill already, and this might make it a little too powerful. Remember, it would mean we couldn't foul Nurgle's Warriors as easily.

Other than that, the changes made are some and thematic, and add just a little to everyone. Now if only there were some small boost to shadow we could make directly.

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

Thanks.

FA would only really stops 1 in 6 foul, not a huge deal and might make the skill more attractive to take.
I was trying to improve Thick Skull with diminishing return on AV to make the boost pointless for dwarf but I didn't manage.

For Shadowing a potential boost it to make the roll 6 or less rather than 7 or less, but it might make it too good.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I like the VLL boost. Not keen on the rest.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

I guess that's something :)
I would like to have Shadowing much more viable without transforming the game and making it essential. Surely making it a good pick for Slaan is just a as cruel as it is sympathetic when the constand dilemna of the team is to find a way to squeeze all these skills they need on the players before without spiralling to high in TV.

It would make Shadowing even more interesting on the blitzers who are the most difficult players (imho) to pick a skill for:
- Blodge, yep good idea
- Killer, yes why not you have access to all the ST skills you need
- Guard, sure it's on tap
- Wrestle? works well for these guys
- Pro, hell why not, a mobile guard who can leap needs some reliability
- sidestep / stand firm which one will you go for?
etc...

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

If you want to make Shadowing more popular, then put the skill use in front of the dodge roll, so it can stack with Diving Tackle. You have to put in something about the Shadowing player not being able to use his TZ to penalize the dodge if he uses Shadowing. It actually doesn't hurt when the oppo is dodging about in your zone, because you just don't use Shadowing until he tries to leave.

Heck, you could leave that language out, and just make it harder to use Shadowing. So you get -1, but if you succeed, you get to add your zone to the target square. That would make dodging away from fast Shadowing/DT players a clear no-no, even if you're trying to just get one square. Leery of this: the big winners would be Wood Elves.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

I use shadowing on my WDs... with Tackle it makes other teams hate to move through them. IMO it works well enough.

When you are trying to chase down a MA10 GR with VLL then the Shadowing gets a bit silly.

VLL has 2 uses which is already really good.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Smurf wrote:VLL has 2 uses which is already really good if you're Smurf and you play in Smurfland, where gaming for the interception is Job One.
Fixed it for ya. When Smurf praises the value of an interception skill, put your fingers in your ears and sing "La-LA-la-LA-la-la...."

He may not be totally wrong, but no team that would be affected by this really needs help beating passing offenses. For instance, Slann and Skaven already match up really well against High Elves.

VLL adds a lot of potential, and very little actuality except on Slann. I'd love to see a way to make Shadowing viable. I'd like to see yet another reason to put people over the hump and game for tomorrow with doubles on late-blooming Beastmen or on a Gutter Runner.

I'd like it better if you didn't need M access to get the Shadowing buff.