Alternative to Bank rules

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Alternative to Bank rules

Post by Dzerards »

A friend and myself were talking over Plasmoid's narrow tiers roster and the Galak wish list and it got me thinking of the Bank rules, spiralling expenses and the value of money in BB.

I'll admit I'm unclear as to the original purpose of SE, I'm not sure if it was meant to remove the excess money that advanced teams generate or if it was designed to cap the max TV teams could grow to. I know it tries to do both, but currently it is very unbalanced in it's effect, i.e. Elf like teams can hit it very quickly and it adversely affects their continued development due to their players propensity to die, whereas Bash teams can take a while to reach it and have usually developed a sizeable treasury, due both to the amount of games played before SE takes effect and low player turnover, so the impact of SE can take a long time to be felt.

Now while I see the proposed Bank rules will address the issue to prevent bash teams from hording it still feels a bit fidley, which got me thinking of the value of money in Blood Bowl.

It seems to me that winnings roll means different things to different teams and has different weight at different times. For example a Dwarf team only really needs 120k to buy a 12th player and an apothecary and it's pretty much done worrying about money. A Dark Elf team needs about 370k for an apoth, a 3th reroll and two Witch Elves, not to mention the all the stat breaks and deaths it will typically see in the interim.

Two extremes, but my gut feeling is that on average your winnings significantly reduces in importance after your 6th game, and we're left with developing mechanisms for removing the excess.

My idea was, 'why can't we put that money to work?' To that end you could be given a choice at the end of the match, either to roll for winnings, using the current system, or forego your winnings roll and roll for additional SPP instead. I looked on it as investing in the team, better training, facilities, etc.

Now the amount of SPP, the allocation, etc would need carefully consideration and testing, but to me it feels right. The first 6 games winnings would still be key, but then the teams who usually don't need the gold, instead of hording, it will be foregoing it to speed up the skill development of the team. The AG teams will probably still be racing a head in development terms, but hopefully not so much.

Reason: ''
"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Re: Alternative to Bank rules

Post by Smurf »

We could bet on games. Keeping it simple winning the bet doubles the money. But you can only spend 10k on a bet.

it's an idea to get some cash in the coffers of high TV teams who watch their money drain away on expenses.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
IronAge_Man
Veteran
Veteran

Post by IronAge_Man »

When Dzerards suggested plowing cash into team development to me, I envisioned a system whereby you buy a shot at an extra MVP - what price, I've no idea, maybe start at 50k, and it's maybe a 50% chance of a random player getting it, and/or a higher cost/lower probability for a specific player to acquire an MVP. Such an award could be renamed as Extra Training/Pumping Iron/Hitting the Gym etc., but the unit of 5 SPP is well understood, and so easily adopted.
Smurf wrote:We could bet on games. Keeping it simple winning the bet doubles the money. But you can only spend 10k on a bet.

it's an idea to get some cash in the coffers of high TV teams who watch their money drain away on expenses.
That would be a separate mechanism for a different situation i.e. high TV teams trying to get a payday, rather than low TV teams looking to spend cash.

The two would add to the economy of a league - the betting would need tight controls, though, just like the oft-suggested transfer system!

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

What about the ability to buy off permanent injuries? Say, for 100k cash you can have a player who would be attending the next match MNG in order to perform surgery on the player and try to remove his statloss or niggling injury. Roll 1d6. You may pay an additional 50k each for 0-4 +1 modifiers on this roll. On a modified 6+, the statloss/niggle is removed. If not, roll for a Casualty on this player as if it occurred in the next (missed) game.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.