What would be the effect of 16 players

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: What would be the effect of 16 players

Post by dode74 »

There are teams IRL sitting on a lot of cash and not spending it.

I missed your previous question - I suspect that if TV wasn't an issue then people would take a full roster. That's more to do with the fact that removing TV all together removes a HUGE amount of the team management aspect. It's hypothetical anyway - TV is an issue.

Anyway, my point has been made. Done now :)

Reason: ''
cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

you have made your point. The reason for skimming the roster is to exploit the TV system to gain an advantage.

You can give it a catchy name like "team management aspect" but it is still finding ways to bend the rules off field to gain an advantage on pitch. Didn't you hate aging for that exact same reason?

it is not great strat to have a small roster. What it does do is force others to play the same game or give the other coach a huge advantage. Developing your team is suppose to be the fun. Not, "omg I cut a player and am down to 12 on my roster!!! Look at that TV now!!! I am a god, this is so much fun".

I am done now.

koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

Why not take this crap back to Cyanide then it can be lost when the server next crashes.

At least have the decency to start your own thread.

RandomOracle
Experienced
Experienced

Post by RandomOracle »

cbbakke wrote: it is not great strat to have a small roster.
You're right, it's not. I don't like to keep less than 14 players on my chaos team around TV 2000 and when my opponent only has 11 or 12 players, it's usually an easy win for me. Considering how easy it is to remove players from the pitch, reserves matter.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

RandomOracle wrote:
cbbakke wrote: it is not great strat to have a small roster.
You're right, it's not. I don't like to keep less than 14 players on my chaos team around TV 2000 and when my opponent only has 11 or 12 players, it's usually an easy win for me. Considering how easy it is to remove players from the pitch, reserves matter.

especially playing against a basher, 12 man roster is small. Would you say it is fair to say you dont carry a 16 man roster though? I think some teams have been hurt in the trend of not maxing out roster. Humans, lizard, vampire and stunty teams come to mind.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Conversly against a bash team you are giving away, what, 5 skills worth of tv?

I think 13 is a nice middle ground. People get to play with depth without being penalised and I think that will make for an easier/more interesting experience for them. Hope it doesn't mean they just go risk crazy :)

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

Having a roster of 13 means humans can only have 1 at tops 2 catchers.

vampires, and stunty teams need a full roster cause of CAS. So the one advantage they are suppose to have in cheap players is lost since they have to have 3 more players then the other team.

Vampire and Lizard are in a similar spot with that.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

I think the Human thing is a combination of tactical choice and a poor player (the catcher) rather than anything to do with a 16-man roster. I would imagine that there are many human players who would take linemen over a 4th or even a 3rd catcher if they had to have 16 players.

I'd say that for vampires and stunties that those two facts even out - lots of players which leave the field easily. I see that as analogous to the agi team issue of low AV - their players leave the field easily but those that remain are very good at handling the ball and capitalising on mistakes/bad luck, so they don't need as many players.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

@ the OP - is your (yet to happen) league going to be scheduled or open?

If it's scheduled, it's more open to abuse ("oh, this week I'm facing a bashy team, I'll take a full squad of 16, whereas the week after I'm playing halfling, so I'll not bother").
If it's open, it's less open to abuse, as (at least if you're doing it correctly) Journeymen have to be taken as part of the post-game sequence.

Dwarfs will love this rule - skill up 2 or 3 linos with Guard, sack the rest and just take the journeymen linemen while you skill up the positionals.

I'm still in the "against" camp though - the game was designed with the "do I take a 13th/14th/whatever player or a 4th reroll" decision as part of it. This would subtract from the TV management, which is meant to be an important part of the game.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

I would love to face that dwarf team with all journeyman. No mightyblow and only a few guards. The fun of bloodbowl is developing your team. That dwarf team woudl get slaughtered by advanced teams.

As far as the human lineman over human catcher with 16 player roster. Some coaches would make that choice. That sounds a lot like team management to me :)

For me it would allow me to have a few extra catchers on my team to develop as pass defense players for when I play agility teams which would be extremely handy, but with the current system is unreasonable to do. That full roster would open a lot of options for the human team which would imo give them the flexibility on the pitch that they are so sadly missing right now.