Review of next catagory. Strength skills

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

cbbakke
Cupcake

Review of next catagory. Strength skills

Post by cbbakke »

Good skills
Mighty blow
guard
standfirm
piling on - I think too good right now, but more because of how it interacts with MB and claw.
Idea for piling on- instead of hurting player, have its function be to try to prevent a player from getting up. So if you knock down a player somebody with piling on would try to pin that person on the ground to prevent them from getting back in the play.

ok skills
strong arm- I think it really should be in the passing category. I realize it says strong in it but it is a passing skill. Having it in passing would help 3 agility passing teams not have to rely on as much luck to develop a passer.
multi block- fun skill, not taken very often though.
break tackle- Fixed. I like it as it is. I should change my mind though just to fight with galak though :)
Juggernaut- I only really ever seen it taken on big guys, but it is not a bad skill overall. I don't really have any thoughts on how to improve it, or even if it needs improving.

bad skills

Grab- My suggestion to upgrade it. If you have grab and block somebody you get the effect of tentacles on that player until the start of your next turn. That way you could have a better chance of locking down a player in the open field.
thickskull- needs some serious love imo. I have only seen a thrall take the skill. It is not a bad skill to start on a player but it is not taken from what I have seen as a skill choice.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Review of next catagory. Strength skills

Post by Darkson »

cbbakke wrote:break tackle- I liked the old edition where you could choose when to use it so it was a little more powerful.
???? ???? ???? That's how it works now - roll the dice, see if you need to use Break Tackle or not and declare it's use (or not).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

Darkson wrote:
cbbakke wrote:break tackle- I liked the old edition where you could choose when to use it so it was a little more powerful.
???? ???? ???? That's how it works now - roll the dice, see if you need to use Break Tackle or not and declare it's use (or not).
are you sure. I thought it said in the rules that it was on your first attempted dodge.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

cbbakke wrote:are you sure. I thought it said in the rules that it was on your first attempted dodge.
He is sure.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

rofl

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Raziel_Spry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Raziel_Spry »

cyanide incorrectly implemented it as the first dodge... but I sure wouldn't rely on cyanide for rules interpretation....

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Grab is bloody good. On a player with guard and a team with frenzy it means your team has control of a LOT of the sideline. If my 8448 blodge guard blitzer rolls doubles again he'll be getting grab so my witch can do her thing.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

dode74 wrote:Grab is bloody good. On a player with guard and a team with frenzy it means your team has control of a LOT of the sideline. If my 8448 blodge guard blitzer rolls doubles again he'll be getting grab so my witch can do her thing.

I have played over 500 games online and think I have seen grab maybe twice. I am not saying it couldn't have its uses but compared to other skills it lacks.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

See it quite a bit tabletop.
2nd/3rd skill for my dwarf linos/CDs (barring doubles/stats).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Again, a selection of good skills taken at various stages in development.

The exception is piling on which is a bit good.

I would prefer if you use piling on you can't use any other modifiers to the armour or injury rolls. Rather than a finely calculated upper cut, you are instead screeching at the top of your voce and belly flopping on top of the goblin.

Strong arm gives an interesting choice for TTM and also a different use of a double for a passer.
Multi block is great if you get to str 6.
Juggernaught an important 'anti' skill and great for frenzy big guys.
Grab - try taking it on a team with a few frenziers...
Thickskull is fine for what it is which is a racial ability, that fact someone might be tempted to take it as a skill is a bonus.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

I am not saying nobody takes Grab, but I am not seeing it taken very often. If the skill was as grand as your saying, why aren't more people taking it?

Raziel_Spry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Raziel_Spry »

You don't see it very often because you play mostly online, where people with strength access take the same mb/po/claw on every player.

Also, Strong Arm being in the passing category would defeat the entire purpose, imo. It gives Strength teams normal access to a passing skill they wouldn't otherwise have.

Similarly, Stand Firm is only really good because Strength access players don't have access to Side Step

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

cbbakke wrote:I am not saying nobody takes Grab, but I am not seeing it taken very often. If the skill was as grand as your saying, why aren't more people taking it?
Because online play is dominated by people who want to kill, kill, kill! People who play to win take it. I had it on a troll in my old OCC Orc team and it was very effective for clearing a path for my cage, for example. I will be taking it again if the aforementioned blitzer rolls doubles.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

I have played in 5 online leagues, 1 table top league and more MM then I care to talk about. In all those settings. I have only seen it taken a few times.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

I've seen Grab used a fair bit, normally on a Treeman or big guy with Tentacles but also on Dwarf Linemen. It's a decent skill. I agree that it's not used as much as other Strength skills though.