Alternative TV

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Alternative TV

Post by Oly1987 »

With the current TV system there doesnt seem to be much room for benchwarmers as they inflate TV and effectively weaken your team. Just as an idea why isnt TV worked out on the 11 most expensive players in the team and the rest are ignored. That way it would promote either more even spread skills to get the most out of your bench, or a team filled with rookie lino's for kicking players on the floor and getting sent off. Either way i see this as a win/win situation. What do people think?

Reason: ''
4 catchers and a thrower with hail mary pass, what could possibly go wrong?
Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Alternative TV

Post by Oly1987 »

also i think it would benefit low AV teams as it means they have the replacement players without having to pay for it so badly

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Players with cheap players would build fouling guys?

You have fodder for when you kick for the line as well.

Just think of all those spare dwarf linemen!

Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Oly1987 »

I think dwarves and maybe orcs break the idea slightly but I still like it

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

If one or two races break it, it's not a good idea.

Also unfaiR to those races with crap linos - Elves will be happy with their 3 or 4 "free" linemen, whereas do khemri really want another 3 or 4 "free" skellies?

Overall, no.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Oly1987 »

Skellies can foul can't they? ;)

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

With the current TV system there doesnt seem to be much room for benchwarmers as they inflate TV and effectively weaken your team.
I disagree with the premise here. Benchwarmers allow you to bring on replacements, and that is strength in depth. Lots of people bang on about on-pitch TV, but your on-pitch TV on turn 1 may be very different to your on-pitch TV on T16, and benchwarmers help maintain your on-pitch TV throughout the match despite foulers being sent off and injuries.
Cheap benchwarmers also allow you to foul with relative impunity and to mark up players which would otherwise be dangerous to your strategy (saurii, big guys etc), while expensive benchwarmers allow you to bring on quality replacements in the case of losing a few players to KO/injury (as is almost inevitable with elves, for example).
The only time I can think of off-hand when it may be sub-optimal to have a bench is if you are playing as a high AV team, because you are unlikely to lose players and will probably have your best players on at any one time. Those same high AV teams will, however, need the bench if playing claw teams, and they can use that same bench (which is pretty cheap for orcs) for the same intention: fouling and soaking up the cas.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

TV of benchwarmers only 50% of actual TV?

Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Daht »

I think the petty cash rules + SE are the problem for benchwarmers. Galak's bank rules help encourage spending cash on extra bodies rather than having it just inflate the TV.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Oh, here you go.

For each player on your team in excess of 12, subtract a cumulative 10k, to a maximum of the TV add of your cheapest player. For example a team with 12 men saves nothing, a team with 13 men saves 10k, and a team with 14 men saves 30k. A 15-man team saves 60k, except for Ogres (50k); a 16-man team saves 100k, except Ogres (70k) and Halflings (90k).

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

Oly1987 wrote:With the current TV system there doesnt seem to be much room for benchwarmers as they inflate TV and effectively weaken your team. Just as an idea why isnt TV worked out on the 11 most expensive players in the team and the rest are ignored. That way it would promote either more even spread skills to get the most out of your bench, or a team filled with rookie lino's for kicking players on the floor and getting sent off. Either way i see this as a win/win situation. What do people think?
Rather than that you could always allow substitutes to be brought on in game, so when a player gets injured you can bring someone on in your next turn from the side line from your "bench area" (think it was squares 4 - 7 going back from the centre?) like in second edition that would certainly encourage deeper benches.

Though that creates some other issues really.