Buffing kick off return?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Buffing kick off return?

Post by lunchmoney »

burgun824 wrote:I fall in the "I don't think it needs to be buffed" category. However, if you were to house rule a buff on it I would consider one of the following depending on how much you want to buff it:

- Move 4 (instead of 3)

- Move 3 + an additional d3

- Treat it like you would a high kick on the KO table only the KoR player has to be the one to move.

That last one is getting a bit excessive though. That could really move that player.
Move 3 plus allow GFI

Reason: ''
Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

That's a good one lunchmoney. I like that.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Buffing kick off return?

Post by voyagers_uk »

I agree, as a house rule adding GFI's to it seems logical but I am with the majority that in normal play it needs no buff

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
macabeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by macabeo »

I'd merge it with Pass Block and call the skill Anticipation or something like that. Thematically close, interesting for both dash and bash, and kills two birds with one stone.

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

It doesn't need a buff as such. Bad kick should be brought back replacing high kick which would make it and kick better again. That was such an awful change for crp.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

macabeo wrote:I'd merge it with Pass Block and call the skill Anticipation or something like that. Thematically close, interesting for both dash and bash, and kills two birds with one stone.
I like that, no one takes passblock and kick off return is only taken by a few teams.

Even with that change I suspect it would still be low down on the skill priority list.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

garion wrote:It doesn't need a buff as such. Bad kick should be brought back replacing high kick which would make it and kick better again. That was such an awful change for crp.
Not sure about replacing High Kick but I agree Bad Kick should never have been removed.

Combining KoR and PB seems the best idea so far (though I like the idea of it getting a GFI to).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

macabeo wrote:I'd merge it with Pass Block and call the skill Anticipation or something like that. Thematically close, interesting for both dash and bash, and kills two birds with one stone.
Seems a rather nice idea... havn't given it too much thought but I instinctively kinda like it.

W

Fighting signature size creep ;)
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Merging Pass Block and KOR would make it twice as good, even then it would still be crap :)

Teams that get value out of KOR won't have the AG to make use of PB, and teams that have the AG to use PB won't need the extra moves for KOR.

It is better than leaving them separate though, for the odd situation when the Dwarf Runner or Orc Thrower may try a crazy dodge for an interception attempt.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
macabeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by macabeo »

Fassbinder75 wrote:Merging Pass Block and KOR would make it twice as good, even then it would still be crap :)
Pass Block is crap. I'm with those that say that KOR is fine and has its place in some teams, though. PB on top of KOR would still be quite situational, but it is an extra incentive for those that may consider picking KOR. Anyway, the thing I like the most is that you get rid of PB as skill and it becomes part of the conceptually closest skill.
Fassbinder75 wrote:Teams that get value out of KOR won't have the AG to make use of PB, and teams that have the AG to use PB won't need the extra moves for KOR.

It is better than leaving them separate though, for the odd situation when the Dwarf Runner or Orc Thrower may try a crazy dodge for an interception attempt.
I see it as the opposite. Teams that get value out of KOR are the ones that have it hardest to defend against plays that involve passing (mostly 1 and 2-turn touchdowns), so PB may come in handy as long as it only requires something doable like a 3+ or 4+ dodge (remember, no turnover risk).

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

spubbbba wrote:
I like that, no one takes passblock and kick off return is only taken by a few teams.

Even with that change I suspect it would still be low down on the skill priority list.

Not for Slann catchers. Dodge, Block, then if youve not rolled Guard this will do very nicely. KoR plus diving catch combos very well, passblock, leap, ag4 and VLL too.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Re:

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Shteve0 wrote: Not for Slann catchers. Dodge, Block, then if youve not rolled Guard this will do very nicely. KoR plus diving catch combos very well, passblock, leap, ag4 and VLL too.
Agreed, at least someone might have a use for it - even if on an 'obscure' team. The VLL helps a lot.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

within the merge of kick of return and passblock i would remove the rule that state that you have to end on the pass path, and also i would allow the passblock move on hand off, this would make you safety player far more effective, being able to move up to 6 squares during opponent turn, preventing him to move the ball all the field in one turn.
Acually anticipation would allow a player to move 3 square any time the ball is in the air, meaning: kick-off, crowd throw-in (during your turn and the opponent turn), hand off (only during opponent turn), pass(only during opponent turn), throw team mate(only during opponent turn).
althought i would limit the move to only 1 player in the team or the anticipation spam would be hard to handle.

it would allow some ground control.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

I like where this is going.
Anticipation General
(1)When the ball is moving to or from a player or the crowd (throws, hand-offs, throw-ins, kicks) one player with this skill on a team may move up to 3 squares using all normal movement rules. (2)A player may not move into the opponent's half during a kickoff. (3)This may result in more than one player moving outside his own turn, but any single player may move no more than 3 squares. (4)TZs penalties which result after the Anticipation movement are only applied to players receiving the ball.
(1) The base rule as described by Elyoukey.
(2) Prevents exploitation of the kick skill combined with anticipation.
(3) Encourages multiple players to take the skill while allowing for the fact that even a player with anticipation can be wrong-footed. Also, a tree moving 6 squares in the opponent's turn? :lol:
(4) Fluff, really. Since the anticipation happens while the ball is airborne then the anticipator cannot interfere with the pass itself. He can still put himself in the path of the ball though, and can pressure the receiver. Unsure about this bit.

Thoughts?

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Cyanide likes this.