Buffing kick off return?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Buffing kick off return?

Post by GalakStarscraper »

dode ... I see bad things with the way you have the skill worded. You are effectively giving players the ability to get +3 MA on their own turn. That will break things quickly. I remember the days when the rules allowed you to move in conjunction with hand-off and it was not a better day of the game (in my opinion).

Also being able to respond to a throw-in? So if as happens in some of my games the ball goes out of bounds 2 more times on the throw-ins ... I get to move a total of 9 spaces for free?

Or I throw the ball on my own turn and use this skill to have a player run over and mark the only player capable of getting to my catcher with the extra 3 move (and not even be anywhere near the path of the ball). Ugh.

Change your skill to not work during your own turn (or with throw-ins) (except for Dump Offs) and then it could be okay even leaving out the must be able to intercept rules.

You get something like this:

Anticipation (General)
A player with this skill is allowed to move up to three squares when the opposing coach announces that one of his players it going to pass the ball (including the use of Dump Off but not throwing a bomb). The opposing coach may not change his mind about passing once Anticipation's use is declared. The move is made out of sequence, after the range has been measured, but before any interception attempts have been made. The special move is free, and in no way affects the player's ability to move in a subsequent Action. The move is made using all of the normal rules and skills (for example, having to dodge in order to leave opposing players' tackle zones.) If a player performing an Anticipation move in their own turn is Knocked Down then this is a turnover, no other players may perform Anticipation moves, and your turn ends as soon as the results of the pass and the block are resolved. In addition, Anticipation may used when the ball is being kicked to this player's team. The skill is used after the ball has been scattered but before rolling on the Kick-Off table. Anticipation cannot be used on a Kick-Off is the player is in a tackle zone or the result of the kick after the scatter is a touchback. Antipication will not allow the player to cross into the opponent's half of the pitch if used during a Kick-Off.

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Also being able to respond to a throw-in? So if as happens in some of my games the ball goes out of bounds 2 more times on the throw-ins ... I get to move a total of 9 spaces for free?
actually it would not be free, it is a skill you pay for.
and throw in being highly random, i don't think those side effect could be subject to abuse.
"ok i will try to gain 9 square, i do throw the ball in the pitch corner, hoping for it to get out and get throwed in 2-3 times so my player gain 9 squares and then ... nobody can catch the ball ... so turn over ... "

not to mention the fact that you would move in a direction hoping for a throw direction and can go in the wrong way, putting one of your player out of the game action.

Aim being to buff the skill and make it a good skill compared to side step, tackle or leader i think it would be ok.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Not a fan, this is buffing it to far IMO. Just combine the current KoR and PB. That is all.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

+1

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

You are effectively giving players the ability to get +3 MA on their own turn.
Fair enough. "Not in own turn" it is.
No. As worded, "any single player may move no more than 3 squares".

Happy with your wording, though.

macabeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by macabeo »

babass wrote:Not a fan, this is buffing it to far IMO. Just combine the current KoR and PB. That is all.
I agree. Either that, or let only 1 player use it, but allow him to move wherever he wants against a pass play (this would settle the infamous Pass Block vs. Hail Mary Pass debate too 8)). More would probably be too much.
babass wrote:Cyanide likes this.
I hope they do. For a semi-competitive game to keep alive throughout the years it is necessary to iterate over the rules to address flaws of the ruleset and keep the metagame fresh. Most games that fail to do so consistently lose players as time passes, great as they may be. That's the reason why I participate in threads about rules the most, to be honest (well, and because I like game design).

Since Cyanide is the closest thing to an official entity working on BB, it is probably only from them that we can expect something to change. Maybe they'll release in the future some "edition" of theirs with an optional new ruleset that improves the game (disclaimer: I think they have done an awful job so far, and I also dislike their Khorne team both in fluff and design).

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

Another idea: You could add that any catch attempt from a kickoff is treated as Accurate...

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Let Pass Block work like Kick-Off Return - move 3 squares in any direction

Pass Block to work on Throw Ins

Let KOR work against Hail Mary Pass

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

macabeo wrote: I hope they do. For a semi-competitive game to keep alive throughout the years it is necessary to iterate over the rules to address flaws of the ruleset and keep the metagame fresh. Most games that fail to do so consistently lose players as time passes, great as they may be. That's the reason why I participate in threads about rules the most, to be honest (well, and because I like game design).
Me too, but getting traction without a BBRC or even trying to raise it as an issue is tough sledding I find. Extinction beckons.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I don't think it has to be like that. We're immune to power creep, and we have a culture of houseruling, including unofficial rosters. This game can survive a long time without a revision.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

mattgslater wrote:I don't think it has to be like that. We're immune to power creep, and we have a culture of houseruling, including unofficial rosters. This game can survive a long time without a revision.
Then we go back to 3rd ed days when every group plays with different house rules.
Completely off topic of course, but I'd like to see the BBRC return. Sure, GW wouldn't sign off on it, but since GW don't support (or in many cases even sell) the game anymore, who cares?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

You may have noticed that a) the actual house rules people use in LRB6 BB tend to come from a pretty basic menu (at least compared to the old days), and b) the game survived like that for quite some years, and was lots of fun. This won't be like that, it's more mature and the core product is more workable, but the heart of the game is something that can't be captured any other way. The community will be here, ready and waiting, when/if the IP holders get their heads together and realize what they've been wasting.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

The issue isn't with Blood Bowl, its with all the competing games that are live with manafacturer support that will bleed away the community simply because they offer 'shiny' that is the lifeblood of the hobby game industry.

The NAF is the only Blood Bowl community organisation with sufficient legitimacy to keep the ruleset fresh, but it seems quite happy to wait at the altar in the vain hope that GW will come rushing back ...some day ...maybe - and even then I don't think they have much appetite for change anyway. We need a BBRC.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

See, I don't get why GW doesn't support this. It makes so little sense to ignore a ready-made community like BB.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

mattgslater wrote:You may have noticed that a) the actual house rules people use in LRB6 BB tend to come from a pretty basic menu (at least compared to the old days),
For now, but that's how the house rules for 3rd ed started as well, and that got to the point that a group in the next town was effectively playing a different game.