Wild Animal House Rule HELP

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: Wild Animal House Rule HELP

Post by mattgslater »

Not really.

If you're going to take a Block or Blitz action, you don't care about WA. You have a chance of being forced to do what you would have done anyway. Massive improvement.

If you've got nobody around you and you weren't going to take a Block or Blitz action, no change. You have a 50/50 chance of defaulting to a Block*, which means doing nothing, because there's nobody to hit.

If you've got somebody standing next to you and you weren't going to Block or Blitz, you have only a 1/6 chance of failure, rather than 50/50. But if you fail you have to hit your own guy, or sac your Mino for the rest of the drive. In the rules I proposed, it's unclear what would happen to a prone Mino.

* I was wrong about it being smart to let a coach default to a Blitz. You should still let the WA declare a Blitz on a failure, but not if he had not already.

In fact, it's overall too good! Let me try again.

If a player with Wild Animal declares an action, roll 1d6. If a friendly player is standing next to the Wild Animal, add +2 to the roll. On a 4+, the Wild Animal acts normally. On a 3 or less, roll 1d6 to determine what the Wild Animal does.

1: The player panics and races off into the dugout. Put the player in reserves.
2: The player stomps, howls, gnashes his teeth... and does nothing.
3: The player lashes out at the nearest living (or unliving) thing. If the player is standing in an enemy tackle zone, his action type is now Block, regardless of the chosen type. If the player is not in an enemy tackle zone, he must block a friendly player instead, if possible. This does not cause a turnover unless the acting player falls down or the ball comes loose. If there is no standing player to block, or if the player is prone, he does nothing.
4-5: The player desperately needs to hit something! Treat this result as 3, above, except that if the player declared a Blitz or Foul action, ignore this result.
6: The player explodes with rage! For this turn only, treat the player as if he had the Ball & Chain skill. If he is prone, he may stand at the cost of 3 squares of movement.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

If you just think WA is too mean and needs nerfing, then let a WA player stand up if he fails a roll on a Move action but doesn't roll a 1. In terms of gameplay, that's the best suggestion I've got.

I like the friendly TZ thing... but it needs a drawback, because a) Block is a popular action to begin with, and b) the downside of WA (no action) isn't nearly as bad as the downside of Stupid/Bonehead (no TZ, no action). Forcing a player to move is just cruel, though. That's a turnover and an AV roll, plus a TZ, and an action.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

hehe, then we go back to the Wild Animal table, I have been here before, though I didnt have option 1 or 6 1 on mine was jsut run in a direction 2 was 2-3 on mine and 3 was 3-4 and your 4-5 was my 6.

I still quite like that idea too, but it came under criticism for too many rolls and too complicated.

also when I did my table when he was forced to move he didnt have to dodge etc.. tackle zones were ignored for everything.

thanks for the suggestions though, it is appreciated, keep them coming, I need a break from wild animal for now though, I have been round in circles for so long now I cant actually work out what is too good or bad at the moment lol. My brain needs a rest. Fresh eyes are the key here I think. :)