Healing statlosses: WDYT?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Healing statlosses: WDYT?

Post by mattgslater »

House rule idea on niggling injuries and characteristic losses:

If a player with a characteristic loss improves and gets an improvement in the lost characteristic, he has finally gotten the better of his injury. He may also take a normal skill, adding only 20,000 gold to his total value.

Wouldn't come up a lot, but it would be cool if it did. It might get somebody to hang onto an AV-busted or MA-busted player he should really cut... but if it paid off it would feel epic, without really impacting the balance of the game (that is, you paid for your lost stat already).

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Healing statlosses: WDYT?

Post by dode74 »

It would reduce player turnover, which imo is a bad thing.

Nikolai II
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nikolai II »

It'd only reduce player turnover for those injuries harmless enough that you'd keep them on the roster anyway. It's not as if you'd save a -ST guy just on the hope of rolling double 6 on a skill-up, and similarly if your blodging guard catcher with -1 MV got a +1 MV and thus healed, they'd still retire on a -ST.

On the other hand, I just saw someone win a healing potion curing all permanent injuries during some sort of christmas bowl, so I might be biased towards fun. I mean, the player will die soon enough anyway :p

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Given the long odds... I'm okay with this as a house rule. I really don't see someone hanging onto an -ST player in hopes of rolling a 12 for a skill.

And if you have kept a say -AV busted player ... rolling a 10 would be a really cool event to heal the injury and then still have it count as a normal skill.

Not normally a fan of a lot of your out there ideas Matt .... but with this one ... yeah I really like it.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Yeah, in a world where this rule exists, the proper course of action is to ignore it until you can apply it. It wouldn't have a big effect on team management. And balance-wise, it's either negligible or a buff for bad coaches, with maybe a little boost for low-AV teams (who don't need a boost these days). I think I'll propose it. This is the kind of rule that tends to pass, as it doesn't hurt anybody, rarely comes up, and never comes up in-game.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Insane_Prophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Insane_Prophet »

I'd be fine with this - it doesn't seem like it'd come into play too often, and when it did the Coach in question would have had to pay for it by playing the injured player. If someone want to keep a STR busted player in the hopes they'd roll that 1/36 boost, then I'd be happy to let them! Realistically I can only see people trying this for AV, MV and Niggling Injuries, but that's cool. Like Galak said, it'd make that 10 all the more special.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm probably being a little blind here (and I have only just wokE up!), but how does this heal niggles?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

It doesn't.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ah, the first line confused me:
mattgslater wrote:House rule idea on niggling injuries and characteristic losses:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Ah, yer right. Sorry. I was thinking doubles, but it would have had balance implications.