Ties in a Tournament

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

hpb
Rookie
Rookie

Ties in a Tournament

Post by hpb »

How do you handle these?
Golden/Silver Goal, limited time overtime, coin?
All is possible, but I have a big problem with changing s.th. in the mechanics of BB for the overtime.

- If you use classic Golden Goal, the coin for the first kick off nearly decides the match.
- With Silver Goal (two halftimes, each stop after the first TD), a "Team" of 2 gutter runners is unbeatable (they will at least save another tie).
- If you play another 2*8 Turns each, tactical teams are disadvantaged, as they are probably more beaten up yet and wont be able to field as many players as at the beginning of the match.

More ideas / better points?

Reason: ''
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Ties in a Tournament

Post by garion »

Most people use the standard golden goal rule. As it is written in the rule book, there is a small tactical element to winning the toss mind. If i remeber correctly (i may be wrong i havent player overtime for a long long long time) you each roll a dice (not flip a coin) and you add the number of RR to your score so the team that has been more concervative with their rr has an adantage and as the game is about being conservative this in theory should reward the player that has played better.

However there are alternatives. Penalty shoot out and Squig ball are quite popular alternatives. Will provide links shortly

garion

Post by garion »

http://www.sg.tacticalwargames.net/fanatic/58kefah.pdf - pens

squig ball -

First of all, it is the same for who is receiving first, but get rid of first TD wins. The full OT is played regardless. However instead of playing with a ball you play it with a squig.

If the Squig Ball is on the Ground: At the beginning of each Team’s turn, before anyone takes an action,
a Squig Ball on the ground will move d6 squares in a random Direction. The Squig Ball does not need to
dodge to move through tackle zones.
2. If the Squig Ball is held by a player: At the beginning of that Team’s Turn (not the opposing teams turn),
before anyone takes an action, roll a d6 (this cannot be re-rolled) On a roll of 1, the Squig has squirmed free
and will move as above starting from the players square. This does not cause a Turn Over.
3. If the Ball Squig’s movement carries it into a players square: The Squig throws a ST:0 Blitz with the
Dauntless & Juggernaught Skills. Neither team may lend their assists. The Squig ball will never follow up and
will end its movement in the square where it threw the block (regardless of any surplus MA). The Squig can
never be knocked down, injured, K/Oed nor stunned. Players knocked down in this fashion will not cause a
turn over. The target players opponent always rolls the appropriate dice decides where to push the player if
applicable.
4. If the Squig Ball’s movement carries it into the crowd: they will throw it back as usual. It will bounce and
then end it’s movement where it lands (regardless of any surplus MA).
5. The Squig Ball is Hard to handle: All GFI Rolls (while holdong the ball) and agility based actions involving
the ball suffer a –1 penalty. This includes GFI, Pick Up, Catch, Pass, Intercept and Landing (if holding the
ball).

Q & A
Does the Squig have to use Juggernaught? (can the Squig use Double Down?) The Squig may never
use a double down result on the block dice, so in accordance with Juggernaught, it will treat all such
results as a Push Back
Can I target the squig with a bomb, wizard or special play card?
The squig is not a player, this mat not be the target of any special effects or events
If the Squig Rolls a Skull, Can I injure it and get 2 SPPs?
The Squig may never be injured or knocked down, You may Ignore all Skull results on the block
dice
Does the squig bounce?
The squig will bounce in all the same circumstances that a normal ball does. It does not bouncce at
the end if it's own random movement however.
Do I suffer the -1 penalty to every action when I hold the Squig Ball? (eg: Dodge rolls)
Only GFI, Pass, Catch, Intercept and Landing rolls attract the -1 penalty.
Is the -1 penalty cumulative with other penalties (eg Tackle Zones, Disturbing presence, Weather,
etc...)
Yes (I'm Squigin' in the Rain... Just Squigin' in the Rain...)
If I use a Troll (or other Big Guy) to throw a team-mate, and that player is is holding the squig, does get the -1 modifier for ttm.
No, and he doesnt eat the squig either

hpb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hpb »

thanks for the fast answer. Both options seem very interesting. The penalty shootout is very fast but still more than only a coin toss.
the squig ball sounds nice - but I would worry about another 16 turns each without extra time-limit. do you have any experience how long a squig ball overtime takes relative to the normal game?

garion

Post by garion »

not really, but if i were to adapt that I would make it work in the same way as the current over time, so golden goal use a dice +rrs to add to the resolt to see who receives first except make the ball a squig. Then if there is no score after 8 turns maybe use pens.

another option that I have heard people use is keep the golden goal rule excep the receiving team sets up first instead of the kicking team. Never tried it but it could be interesting.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

What exactly do you mean by "tournaments"?

If you mean things like the NAF World Cup, a ties a tie, and just gives less poins than a win. If it's for a final placing, normally tie-breakers are enough to separate players.

If you mean a end of season play-off tournament, we play a full half ("overtime").

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Snap Wilson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Snap Wilson »

Would prefer the penalties to the coin flip. Squigball seems more like a variant than a way of settling overtime.

garion

Post by garion »

Snap Wilson wrote:Would prefer the penalties to the coin flip. Squigball seems more like a variant than a way of settling overtime.
Squig ball is as you say just a varient, but it takes a little emphasis away from who won the toss. However it also gives agility teams a slight edge i feel.

I like darksons idea the best, one full half, so if some nmasty skaven score a one or two turn touchdown you have time to get the ball back and draw again. then penalties will follow Im guessing.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

garion wrote:I like darksons idea the best, one full half, so if some nmasty skaven score a one or two turn touchdown you have time to get the ball back and draw again. then penalties will follow Im guessing.
Tbh, it never actually came up, as apart from a final, it never came up, but our actual rule was play a half of OT, f still tied play another half of OT (reversing receiving/kicking team), then penalties.
But our rule was mainly due to the fact that due to time issues, we'd probably not get OT played the same night as the regular game.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
hpb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hpb »

Darkson wrote:What exactly do you mean by "tournaments"?
I meant a "Single-elimination tournament".
Tie breakers like the placing in the former season was an idea in our league as well. But in case of an independent Single-elimination tournament, this is not possible and I figured there should be some popular way to solve this.

Penality shoot out sound nice and fast - although it does not seem to be very fair. As every elf team is a lot stronger in it than every human, dwarf, ork etc. team..

To play another full half brings the problem of determining who receives the kick-off doesn`t it? And it still takes half of the full normal match-time..

In Our league there is a majority for the silver-goal system, although I neither think, that its a lot faster, nor balanced at all..

My preferable method would be to play another full two halfs - but with only 1-2 Minutes time limit each turn. Thats 0.5-1 hour alltogether for the overtime and it does not change game mechanics at all :)

harroguk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harroguk »

I posted a couple of systems in this forum, in the end we went with an ice hokey style face off system.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33351

Commisioner (Retired) of - DBBL in Daventry