Healing Niggles AND Statlosses

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

So, which rule 2 do you like?

2a: Simple, neat, balanced.
17%
2b: Similar to rule 1, will get actual use.
17%
2c: Similar to rule 1, similar power level.
No votes
2d: Fun skill, you should go with it.
No votes
2e: Niggling injuries should always signal decline.
8%
I don't like either rule.
42%
Nigglingonberry pie.
17%

Total votes: 12

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Healing Niggles AND Statlosses

Post by mattgslater »

Okay, sorry for the double-thread, but it's time for a poll.

Rule 1: If a player loses a characteristic point to injury, and then gains a point in the same characteristic again, he may select a "normal" skill instead. If he does so, the lost point is erased; add 20,000 gold to the player's value. If a player loses a point in an improved characteristic, erase the improvement instead, and reduce the player's value by the value of the improvement.

Rule 2: Help me pick one.

2a: If a player suffers a niggling injury, he may remove that injury instead of rolling for an improvement. This does not affect the player's value, but he does not improve.

2b: If a player improves and rolls a double, he may remove a niggling injury, select a normal skill, and add 20,000 gold to his value.

2c: As 2b, but on a roll of 10, rather than a double.

2d: Thick Skin (Strength): A player with this skill may ignore any one skill or characteristic, including a niggling injury, applied to any injury roll made against him. (If this skill is used to negate a modifier to an injury roll that is then re-rolled through Piling On, do not apply the modifier to the re-roll, either.)

2e: Statlosses may eventually be healed; niggling injuries are forever.

My original instinct was 2e. 2a sits okay with me. 2b, 2c, and 2d would integrate smoothly; 2b might be a little too good, and 2c might be a tad weak. I thought about using a roll of 9, but I'm afraid that would be too good (always replaces normal roll) and too much to remember (10 = easy because it's already special). 2d really appeals to the Orc in me, because it would be some defense for BOBs against ClawPOMBers at very high TV. Note, DP is +1 to both rolls in my home league (we had to beef fouling, or nobody would do it).

Voted pie for easy viewing on my own poll. Revoting enabled, in case the discussion changes anyone's mind.

FWIW, the Thick Skin skill could yield hilarity. Example of Thick Skin in use: if a player with a niggling injury is hit with Piling On and Mighty Blow, and Mighty Blow is used to break AV (no Thick Skin on AV), the player may either negate the +1 injury modifier or prevent the use of Piling On, after the die is rolled. If the roll is 2-6, or 8, the player would not negate the niggling injury, to discourage the use of Piling On. If the opponent then forgot about Thick Skin, he could go prone and be denied his re-roll.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Healing Niggles AND Statlosses

Post by Darkson »

None of the above. You should have to pay for removing an injury (as they're meant for player turnover).

2f: If a player improves and rolls a double, he may remove a niggling injury, select a normal skill, and add 30,000 gold to his value.

I'd change your original rule to 30K as well.

Also, was this line: " If a player loses a point in an improved characteristic, erase the improvement instead, and reduce the player's value by the value of the improvement" on the original thread? I don't like it - you should never be reducing players TV.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I would like

'Pay the players total cost to remove the injury'.

Start chomping into the large treasures bash teams build up and added difficulty when you are at high TV.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Chris wrote:I would like

'Pay the players total cost to remove the injury'.

Start chomping into the large treasures bash teams build up and added difficulty when you are at high TV.
Ooh... Surgery: After both teams have assigned Petty Cash, each coach may declare one of his attending players to be having surgery this match to heal an injury. Pay from Treasury an amount equal to the player's improvement value (not base cost), roll d68 on the Casualty table, then consult the d8. If the d8 roll is 3+, you may heal a niggling injury; if it is 5+, you may heal +MA or +AV; if it is 7+, you may heal +AG or +ST. You may use your Apothecary on this roll.

Not for me, but I think it's cool. No, different teams value money differently, which is also my problem with using doubles. I think Simon was talking about TV, rather than Treasury.

Simon, what do you think of your rule, but on a 10 instead? After all, a niggle behaves kind of like a -AV. 10+? Sure, the 11 sometimes doesn't matter, but in that case the lost AG doesn't matter either.

I see what you mean about decreasing a player's value. But +stat/-stat is nowadays usually a firing offense, even though the player's still viable. I guess you're right, though.

Hey, here you go!

Recovering Injuries: If a player improves, and could take +1 in a characteristic reduced by injury, or if a player with a niggling injury rolls 10+ on an improvement, the player's coach may replace the injury with an asterisk and take any skill (not characteristic) allowed by the die roll (including doubles skills, if a double was rolled). An asterisk indicates a healed injury, and is itself an injury type, subject to all the rules of injuries. Add an additional 10k to the player's value for each asterisk.

So if you have a niggle and roll double-five, you can heal and take a doubles skill, at +40k. On a double-six, it's that or +ST and keep the niggle, take your pick. Otherwise, it's stat or skill+heal+10k. Note that a healed injury is an injury type, so you can only have two on any given player.

One rule to ring them all!

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.