Defense wins championships

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Defense wins championships

Post by Kort »

Thrower, Catcher and Blitzer are just vernacular names for Quarterback, Wide Receiver and Running Back. Why these showboating amateurs are the favorites of the unwashed masses remains a deep mystery for the enlightened connoisseur. Meanwhile, the noble art of tackling, disrupting passes and causing fumbles seems totally ignored by Blood Bowl players and fans alike.
But the truth remains: Defense wins championships.

Code: Select all

0-16 Defensive Lineman  5 3 3 9  Side Step                            GS/AP  70k
0-4  Linebacker         6 3 3 8  Wrestle, Strip Ball                  GA/SP  80k
0-2  Cornerback         8 3 3 7  Pass Block, Diving Catch, Shadowing  GA/SP  100k
0-2  Safety             7 3 3 8  Tackle, Diving Tackle                GA/SP  90k

Reroll counter: 50k

Reason: ''
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Re: Defense wins chamionships

Post by burgun824 »

Well...then you have blitzer, which pretty much covers your linebacker...who should be GS/AP

I would consider fend or wrestle a better starting skill for a defensive lineman and they need to be G/SAP. Unless your going more for a Nose Tackle...then I would make them ST4 with no skill (like a BOB).

The cornerback should start with shadowing only.

The safety should start with diving tackle only.

Interesting concept though. I like it.

the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Defense wins championships

Post by the.tok »

Interesting concept :)

Juriel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Juriel »

Interesting concept.

Lineman should have Fend, but not S access. Or he should be something other than a 0-16 piece if he keeps the S access, or you just end up with better dwarves, as people pick mostly just them.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Nice concept. Reminds me of our Kislev team:
Premise - a team more interested in not losing than gambling for a win.
A defensive team, which is not the same as a bashy team.

Team had
Linemen 5338 SFRM G
Cossacks (Blockers) - don't remember, wrestle tackle?
Kickers HMP Kick
And 2 trained bears
Good times :lol:

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Juriel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Juriel »

I do like tying it to WH lore with Kislev. Plus, that would get us bears.

Bears with Diving Tackle! :D

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

+1 to plasmoid, this would fit Kislev best. They are all about their defence.

I am playing with plasmoids kislev roster atm, though slightly changed. this is it -

0-16 linemen 50,000 6 3 3 7 Fend G
0-4 Kossar 90,000 6 3 3 8 Stand Firm, Wrestle GS
0-2 Wings 70,000 6 3 3 8 Catch, Pass Block GA
0-2 Kickers 70,000 6 3 3 8 Kick, Hail Mary Pass GAP
0-2 Werebear 130,000 4 5 1 8 Loner, Really Stupid, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Stand Firm S
Re-roll counter 60,000 gold pieces each
Apothecary Yes

Changed bears to werebears, as it fits more with the existing bloodbowl fluff, and there was a famous Norse team that played with werebears called something like killargo werebears, or something along those lines :S

all stats are based around defence. even HMP is mainly used as a defensive tool, pick the ball up in your opponents drive then launch it away to stop either team scoring. It is a really fun roster. and quite annoying for opponents.

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Defense wins chamionships

Post by Kort »

burgun824 wrote: I would consider fend or wrestle a better starting skill for a defensive lineman and they need to be G/SAP. Unless your going more for a Nose Tackle...then I would make them ST4 with no skill (like a BOB).
Wrestle is a possibility but I feel it would make the 0-16 position too strong. I like Side Step because it is a weaker skill but one the player cannot get using a normal roll.
ST4 would require to create another position, something I want to avoid. And I prefer to keep the AG3/ST3 since I want them to be Human-like.
burgun824 wrote:The cornerback should start with shadowing only.
Do you think he is overpowered with the additional skills ? Those are rarely taken skills, and this ia a good opportunity to see them in the game.
burgun824 wrote:The safety should start with diving tackle only.
I would not mind removing Tackle, but then the player would become a bit too cheap and not really useful...

Thanks for your feedback :)

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

Juriel wrote:Interesting concept.

Lineman should have Fend, but not S access. Or he should be something other than a 0-16 piece if he keeps the S access, or you just end up with better dwarves, as people pick mostly just them.
They are not Dwarves Blockers, because they lack Block and Tackle, two skills that make the Blockers useful out of the box and easier to skill up. Also, they have more developement paths open to them after Block (MB, Guard, Tackle, etc.)

Long term they can become good players for sure, especially with stat increases, but they cost 70k nevertheless (At this price you should expect more than only G access) and will have a huge cost when developed. Also, AV9 is not that great when Claws are around.

On the other hand they are only one double skill away from Blodge/Guard/SS... But so are many players, including Elves.

Fend would be ok I guess but the price should be adjusted accordingly.

Thanks for your feedback 8)

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I think the problem with S-linemen is that you'll just get a team that wins by breaking heads. At that is neither new nor unique.

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

plasmoid wrote:I think the problem with S-linemen is that you'll just get a team that wins by breaking heads. At that is neither new nor unique.
To be honest, there are only two ways to win a BB game: Breaking heads or dodging away with AG4 :lol:

Joke aside, I see your point. When I see Strength access, I consider getting Guard after Block to dominate and control the pitch, and not going for MB and PO to remove the opponents.

It would be possible to introduce a 0-4 position with S access and add G-access only linemen... I am not sure it would be much better though.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Yes everyone goes block guard. MB comes next but really if they are linemen you would be happy with them having 2 skills.
S only access would be different...

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

plasmoid wrote:I think the problem with S-linemen is that you'll just get a team that wins by breaking heads. At that is neither new nor unique.
I think the Sidestep start skill inclines them more towards early guard myself. For killing purposes they start well behind any of the hitty teams that exist already, lacking block or Thick Skull/Tackle etc.

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

Chris wrote:Yes everyone goes block guard. MB comes next but really if they are linemen you would be happy with them having 2 skills.
S only access would be different...
Although they are linemen, they could be developed quite far, possibly to super star status. There is a concern that the team could be based only on linemen with an endless supply of damage causing skills.

I would say that is a valid concern but I also think the same criticism applies to Chaos teams, and all-beastmen teams are definitely possible, although below tier 1.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Back in the day, when SFRM was even stronger, we had to base our Kislev team on sidestep instead of SFRM.
Can I just say: Sidestepping linemen are awesome. They sure as f*ck don't need access to Guard!
We ran a 50 game season with those just-G linemen, and the team did very well.