ARBBL goes to the Pub

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

ARBBL goes to the Pub

Post by Darkson »

After the madness of the Chaos league, with mutating Orcs and whatnots, what should we do next.

Of course, go to the Pub.

These are the rules we'll be using next (after the ARBBL tourney).

Now, before anyone shouts, YES, these are heavily stolen from Carl Brown's original article, but with a few twists added (some by us, some from the old REBBL PBeM pub league I ran).

If anyone sees any glaring errors in it, let me know, so I can (for once!) not have to change our house rules during the season! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: ARBBL goes to the Pub

Post by lunchmoney »

My thoughts;
2. Total money to create the team is 850,000. (In pub leagues the Gold Pieces total represents the level of commitment
to the team rather than actual coinage - most pub owners would retire if they had the actual cash!).
When last I ran a pub league (about 8/9 years ago) I dropped the 4 zeros of all costs. Then change crowns to shillings. It's purely aesthetics, but I always liked the idea of spending 5 shillings on a player :)
11. All teams start with a FF of 5, this is free, but adds to the TV as normal. You may not purchase any further FF. The
gate roll represents how many people (and their dog!) turn up to watch (D6 of 5 + FF 2 gives 7 spectators)
Exactly how I run my current league :)

A couple of grammatical errors and bad use of the English language in point 5.
And 6. And 8, 10, 11.... ;)

Point 9 and 18 are basically saying the same thing.

I might be tempted to add in that retired players can be assistant coaches.

Looks all good fun though, shame i cant get my league to do anything fun and out of the ordinary occasionally :(

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lunchmoney wrote:When last I ran a pub league (about 8/9 years ago) I dropped the 4 zeros of all costs. Then change crowns to shillings. It's purely aesthetics, but I always liked the idea of spending 5 shillings on a player :)
You've met my lot - we'd end up arguing about what the costs actually were. ;)
A couple of grammatical errors and bad use of the English language in point 5.
And 6. And 8, 10, 11.... ;)
Oi come from 'Ampshire...
Point 9 and 18 are basically saying the same thing.
D'oh! Forgot I added that in (#9) on the rough draft - away it goes!
I might be tempted to add in that retired players can be assistant coaches.
I probably will do.

Looks all good fun though, shame i cant get my league to do anything fun and out of the ordinary occasionally :(
Yeah, bunch of powergamers. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Well, took Al's advise, so now we're going to use schillings, sorted out #9 :oops: , you add retired players as coaches, and while I was at it, changed the rules for NoDeath. Now it gives 3 results, a MNG, Bonehead or Punch Drunk (return of the 2nd ed!).

Haven't bothered to update the pdf yet though - [Edit] Now I have.

Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

The reroll rule sounds really nice. I have a hard time imagining how it will play out but it seems like fun.

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

Sounds like good fun, but what does EXP do?

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Gives them experience, meaning all players get better, at least at the start of their career.
I thought it was clearly explained in the rules - what didn't you understand?

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

I suppose they work like another sourse of spp, in in the same way as TD, comp, int, cas, MVP. At least i think so, and it would be good if it was mentioned.

Not a dumb idea for ordinary BB actually, if it wasn't for all rolls nessessary, and perhaps some balance issues i haven't thought about.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Off-topic:
adhansa wrote:Not a dumb idea for ordinary BB actually, if it wasn't for all rolls nessessary, and perhaps some balance issues i haven't thought about.
It was tested, and there weren't any balance issues that were found (the tested rules had a ceiling of 6SPP if I recall correctly), but it was nixed because "rolling 16 dice at the end of a match is to many", which, with the amount of dice-rolling that goes on in a game, is one of the most stupid reasons I ever heard.

And if you want to discuss the wider implications of the EXP system, please do so in a new thread, not this one. :wink:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

adhansa wrote:I suppose they work like another sourse of spp, in in the same way as TD, comp, int, cas, MVP. At least i think so, and it would be good if it was mentioned.
Gah!! Just re-read the pdf, and it was from an earlier version. My Word kept crashing, so I was using recovered documents, and it looks like an older draft got through.

I can't remember the exact re-write, but it went something like this:

Code: Select all

18.  All players gain Experience (EXP).  Add a box to the SPP column, and at the end of each game roll a  
           D6 for every player could take part (i.e. they weren’t MNG or missing due to a failed Amateur roll). If  
           the roll is equal to or greater than their current EXP value, their EXP total is increased by 1 (this means the max EXP  
           is 7). Each EXP point equals 1SPP, so a player with 3 EXP gaining the MVP would have 6SPP, and would roll for a skill.  

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Darkson wrote:Well, took Al's advise...
I'm sure the is one of the signs of an early dementia....

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ullis wrote:The reroll rule sounds really nice. I have a hard time imagining how it will play out but it seems like fun.
It is fun, but it feels really weird, especially when you injure one of your own LOS players, then go and make the pass for the TD in the same turn (like I managed!).

Clarification I've had to make after playing with it some - if you call a pass/hand off, and fail the pickup, you lose the pass/hand-off action, even if you make a 2nd pick-up attempt.

To be honest, sometimes it seems to good (double-skulling a block and carrying on), but as we're all playing with the same rule (and it's just for "$hits and giggles", not a serious league), we're not overly bothered.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm thinking of changing the LoW rules to be a 4+ to see if the ref misses the call. After about 15-odd games, I'm coming to the conclusion iit's a little to good. For example, it makes stalling easier - you can keeping hitting people then if you screw up (double skull for example), no problem, use the token then stroll in.

I won't change it mid-season (this isn't ARBBL goes Chaos ;) ), but I will def change it before we did another season.