Altering players cost structures

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Altering players cost structures

Post by Chris »

It does seem that, especially with the change to FF 0 at creation, team making is easier than ever before. Linemen when they appear in many teams they are more likely to be journeymen than regulars.

What would happen if the costs for positionals was increased and linemen decreased? Obviously you can't do one size fits all, but I would have though that there would be an overall increase in the cost of a maxed positionals team and tougher choices during team creation. Looking at some teams - like skaven - you can not only start with everything but an apoth as well.

Looking at them for a moment as the template, if you took a +10 cost on positions and -10 on linemen you would end up with a team costing 50k more (Rat Ogre cost unchanged due to marginal pick choice currently). You could still start maxed out but at least you would have some agony over a lack of apoth. This would have implications for long term replacement of positional players but would also mean that having a deeper bench has proportionally less tv impact. Then to 'balance' this accross

I do like seeing linemen in bloodbowl, but it is a bit dispiriting that you only get them after all the useful positionals are taken given they get a discount on skills and stats over progression costs.

The extreme of course is costing positionals for the useful skills they have as if they had gained them either through progression or as if they were linemen who had progressed. You then have more interesting choices and rationals to cut positionals in favour of better developing linemen etc.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Altering players cost structures

Post by Darkson »

Chris wrote:Looking at some teams - like skaven - you can not only start with everything but an apoth as well.
If you only want to start with 1 RR, then I think being able to take all (or most) of the positionals is fine.
And "Linemen when they appear in many teams they are more likely to be journeymen than regulars" may be your experience, but it's not mine (except in min/maxing TV-matched MM play, which isn't "proper" BB).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I may be missing something but isn't this a skaven line up with all positionals and 3 rr's and an apoth? Actually realised it isn't, as you wouldn't start with both throwers!

4 Lineman
1 Thrower
4 Gutter Runners
2 Blitzers
3 Rerolls
1 Apothecary

So in your experience people don't max out on positionals?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

RO is a positional, so that's two missed.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

You consider Big Guys to be positionals? I thought they were not intended to be core team members and costed in that fashion?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Always considered them positionals, even if they are not always "must haves".