Variable stat increase costs.

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Variable stat increase costs.

Post by Darkson »

In relation to Joemanji's variable skill cost idea : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35407 , what about variable costs for Stat increases?

These are just random thoughts at the moment, so the costs are probably waaaaay out, but as an example:

ST1 to ST2 30K
ST2 to ST3 40k
ST3 to ST4 50K
ST4 to ST5 50K
ST5 to ST6 40K/60K
ST6 to ST7 30k/60K

I've listed to costs at the higher end, depending on whether (any) discussion would decide whether there's more/less benefit at the top end of the range.

The same could be done with all the stats, to make those stat increases that are rarely taken (eg +AG on a Krox) more attractive.

Any rope in the idea, or just completely stupid?

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: Variable stat increase costs.

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I quite like the idea as a house rule, just like I like JMs original idea.

I'd say that S2 to S3 is as good as S3 to S4.

I think the cheaper prices are appropriate for S5 & S6. Given the advice a lot of people give it may even work as S5 being 30k, which means you've got a straight trade between Block and +ST.

Cheers

Ian

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Not bad as a house rule. Thoughts on the other stats:
MA Cost
4-5 20k
5-6 20k
6-7 30k
7-8 30k
8-9 30k
9-10 40k

AG Cost
1-2 30k
2-3 40k
3-4 40k
4-5 40k
5-6 30k

AV Cost
5-6 20k
6-7 20k
7-8 30k
8-9 30k
9-10 30k
It might be nice (but perhaps complex) to link them to probability increases based on the most often used roll. For example, I think the most common AG rolls have a natural +1 modifier (catch, handoff, pickup, dodge, and going from AG2 to AG3 changes the probability of failing from 50% to 33% (33% reduction), while going from AG3 to AG4 changes it from 33% to 16% (50% reduction). Since moving from 2 to 3 has 2/3 of the effect on the roll that moving from 3 to 4 has, perhaps it should have something like 2/3 of the cost?

My only issue with this concept is that it is a bit of an incentive towards homogenous stats for teams.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

You would want to avoid making teams that have stat advantages have a bigger advantage than they already have. So in the Ag case making 3-4 more than 4-5 favours elves in a big way. Also with that percentage idea 2-3 isn't really worth it ag wise (unless you are an Ogre), so its not a straight increase in attractiveness.

So strength while going from 3-4 is fantastic, giving 4-5 a break would reinforce the power of str teams. Horns is something of a spoiler here. Going from 5-6 on a minotaur is I think worth slightly more than block, while on an Ogre it would be block nearly every time.

Rhyoth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rhyoth »

Overall, i think it's a good idea.
I always felt ST increases for ST 3-4 players had too much impact (also true for AG increase on AG 3-4 players) ; personnaly, i wouldn't mind if ST increases for those players were more expensive (60k for ST, 50 for AG perhaps ?)

Personnally, except for ST 1 players, i wouldn't go under 40k for a ST point : some players can end up with both ST6 and Block : +60k for those monsters seems way too cheap...

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Well thats an interesting point you raise - should an Ag team pay more for strength and a str team pay more for Ag? It is directly mitigating their weaknesses.

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

Could you link it to the skill accesses:

+ST costs 20k base, +20k for A access, +20k for G access, +10k for S access.
+AG costs 20k base, +10k for A access, +10k for G access, +20k for S access. (+20k for stunty?)

It falls down in a few places; Slann blitzers get royally stuffed by this, and it does add complexity, but it seems to approximately work.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

I like this idea. It seems to be a far more accurate cost.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Maybe you could factor in the player’s cost into the formula?

A rookie human lineman getting +AG or ST is quite nice but possibly not worth it whilst a tackle, strip ball wardancer, block, BT bull centaur or blodge werewolf getting either of those skills is amazing, they would also do well with +MA too which I’d never take on a lineman.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Problem with that is a (for example) tackle, mighty blow, +ST blitzer would cost more than a +ST, mighty blow,tackle one.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

Not necessarily Darkson.

If you said '+ST adds 20% to their TV, rounded up', then it would link to the value without affecting it...it would also increase the cost of any future skills for them.

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

Hitonagashi wrote:Not necessarily Darkson.

If you said '+ST adds 20% to their TV, rounded up', then it would link to the value without affecting it...it would also increase the cost of any future skills for them.
Might work for online play, a bit clumsy for tt.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet