Increasing the required amount of SPPs in perpetual leagues.

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Rhyoth
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Increasing the required amount of SPPs in perpetual leag

Post by Rhyoth »

MattDakka wrote:Yes, but with my system the killers would have to play more matches than now, at least.
The difference between 51 SPPs (current SPPs table) and 68 SPPs (my SPPs table) is 17 points. i.e. 8.5 more CAS needed to get the 4th skill. During the extra matches the BOB could be injured or killed.
Lowering the SPPs awarded for CAS (as you suggested) could work as well, but I think that many bash coaches would complain about it.
In my exemple, those 17 extra SPP are more a problem for the supportive BoB : since he is slower to skill up, he is much more likely to get killed before his fourth skill.

By the way i see it, a lot of players take forever to skill up if you don't choose the killer road : that's one reason (among others) why killer combos are so popular. So, if you extend the SPP table, you will only make killers more popular, when i think you should do the opposite.
MattDakka wrote:Lowering the SPPs awarded for CAS (as you suggested) could work as well, but I think that many bash coaches would complain about it.
If you want to re-balance perpetual league, that's unavoidable, since this environment seems to favor bash. Imho, it would be far worse to please bash coaches, since it would mean you're only aggravating already existing unbalancement (and i'm afraid your rule will). Personnally, i prefer to listen to all coaches who are currently complaining about perpetual league being too deadly.

So, yeah, reducing SPP for CAS may not be very popular (and quite tricky to balance), but that's the only way* to make killer skills less appealing in perpetual league.

* dealing with spps distribution
How about we just get to the point and identify a simpler way to eliminate the problem we're all timidly not mentioning here.

Solution: Erase Piling On from the rule set all together. Everyone's problems solved.
That's only a part of the problem : in perpetual league, all damaging skills are extremely common, which make it extremely hard for a lot of team to survive.

Now, why are skills taken so often ? One reason is because it's the only way for a lot of player to see their next skill. If you limit SPPs for CAS, and give players an alternative source of SPPs, then coaches wouldn't focus so much on those skills anymore (well, of course, if you want to have significative impact, you'd need to decrease the synergy between killer skills as well...)

Reason: ''
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

MattDakka wrote:
dode74 wrote:Easier to simply lower SE and add the bank, surely?
My idea doesn't exclude to use SE set at 1800 with steps of 100, as suggested by Plasmoid (if I recall well) and bank (up to 150k gold) as well.
The intended effect is to have less stacked skills on 2-3 Star players, and more evenly spread across the team instead.
Another benefit is that there would be less skill difference between a team which played 10 matches and one with 1-2 matches, a positive thing in a perpetual league, I think.
An easy way to do that is to increase the cost of skill stacking. Add 10TV (or whatever) per skill taken and you start to increase the cost of the stars, rewarding spreading out skills. A superstar at 76SPP and 5 skills would cost 100TV more, which is 5 1-skill players, or 3 2-skill and 1 1-skill players.

I'm not a fan, personally, but it would achieve the effect you desire.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

MattDakka wrote:
burgun824 wrote:How about we just get to the point and identify a simpler way to eliminate the problem we're all timidly not mentioning here.

Solution: Erase Piling On from the rule set all together. Everyone's problems solved. :D
Erasing it is a bit drastic, in my opinion, Norse need it, for example, but I think that a PO nerf is necessary.
Currently is used in a quite mindless way. :D
I don't really think I'd miss it to be honest. It's a pretty silly skill all together when you really think about it.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Hardly a reason - the whole game is a bit silly if you think about it.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

If you don't want to eliminate it then I think it's still a simple fix. Mighty Blow adds +1 to the armor roll and Piling On adds +1 to the injury roll. Done. No need to have massive 20 page threads debating it. :wink:

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

The fact that there have been several hundred (thousand?) pages debating this shows it's far from simple. Your own solution has ramifications beyond what Matt appears to want, which is simply to reduce the teams with few skill-stacked players and a bunch of rookies. That in itself will have other ramifications, but if that's what he wants as a house rule then simply increasing the cost per skill per level is the most direct way I can think of.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

It is simple because most people are over thinking it. The only reason anyone ever selects PO is if they already have MB and/or Claw. By itself it is not nearly as effective and it leaves you very vulnerable. But combined with the others it becomes devastating. So just remove it from the equation. Then there is no need to adjust SPP brackets, there is no need to have thousands of pages to debate it, and there is no need to nerf any other skills to adjust it. The game functions perfectly well without it but is completely changed with it. I really fail to see why everyone thinks it's any more complicated then just removing it.

If you have a cancerous tumor are you going to debate with the Doctor as to why you might need to keep it around because some people think it serves a function?

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

That's your opinion, with which I disagree for the reasons already stated.