Passing SPP.

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: Passing SPP.

Post by spubbbba »

Darkson wrote:Whilst not convinced on the idea, not sure why it's dismissed as more " elfy"? Do elves roll 4+ easier than other races?
Well in my experience elves find it easier to dodge, pass, pick up the ball etc with -2 or -3 modifers than my AG3 players do with none. :D

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
dodolulu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dodolulu »

Afroman wrote:
burgun824 wrote:As a house rule I like the idea. It's simple. However, I think you'll find that the only teams that will be able to fully take advantage of it are AG4 teams. So...Elves.
This could be mitigated if the SPP wasn't based on distance, but on difficulty. Then the reward would be tightly link to the risk.
Something like this:

Throw roll/ # spp
2+ = 0 spp
3+ = 1 spp
4+ = 2 spp
5+ = 3 spp
6+ = 4 spp

After all when a player can throw a long bomb on 2+, what else is there for him to learn?
Now if he does it in a bunch of TZ's, that would teach him something :).
and from there it isnt far to injurie-spp that depend on armour:

8+ and less = 0 spp
9+ = 1 spp
10+ = 2 spp
11+ = 3 spp

i would be amazed

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Isn't a problem with this that you don't choose if you use skill until after you have rolled. So players with MB, claw, accurate & strong arm can choose not to use their skills if the roll high and by that getting SPP for a "difficult" roll when it in fact really wasnt.

Patchwork
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Patchwork »

It's an interesting idea to try and encourage passing. I'm not sure how well it would work basing it on range or difficulty though.

When I'm playing anyone with less then ag4 on the catcher and thrower, I'm not going to pass more then once or twice in one match and I'll still be sticking to the most likely to succeed pass because it's failing has the potential to be a game changer. Basing it on difficulty here would make no difference because the only time I'd go for more then a quick pass, which would give me the same SPs as in the current system, is with a skilled thrower and then I'm back down to getting the same SPs I'd have gotten anyway.

For elves, it's either a nice bonus or something that might reduce how often they pass. If it's based on range, they'll be the first to be able to take advantage of it without extra risk by skilling up a thrower but if you base it on difficulty, it might actualy encourage elven teams to pass less, as a hand off is now more likely to succeed then a quick pass and the quick pass doesn't give SPs either. It would stop elves passing it around in the backfield for easy SPs and there will still be times when an elven team will want to do a hand off and pass in the same turn, so less SPs for them there too. Which might be a good thing depending on your view.

Really, I don't see it encouraging passing as much as just being a nice bonus for those desperate moments when you have no choice but to try a crazy pass or when you've already run away with the game and you don't mind turning over the ball for the chance of extra SPs.

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

Hi Scally09!

I'm necroing this thread because I'm curious to know if your league got to use the difficulty chart and in that case how did it go?

Winged_Human
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Winged_Human »

I personally don't like the idea, as an Agi player who prefers skaven/Elves I think this actually detracts from passing, as it means that the thrower position would need to either Score TD, or cas to earn SPP. The throwers get 1SPP per throw because their sole purpose is to throw the ball where it needs to go, which means devoting all their skills to make that throw much easier. IMO if using the scaled SPP based on throw difficulty you are actually punishing the throwers for surviving long enough to add skills to make their throws easier to manage.

IMO someone stalling out and farming SPPs in the backfield by throwing, is absolutly no different than a bashy team stalling out and bashing your already undermanned team to death (which HAS happened to me) except that the bashy team not only earns MORE SPP for completing their objective, but also has the rish of permanently crippling your team.

This is just my .02, but I'm willing to hear how the testing went in your league and keep an open mind.

"Never trust the Manlings."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I now agree with the above.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

DoubleSkulls wrote:You are right that one reason there isn't much passing is that the risk/reward ratio is out of alignment.
Since somebody already Necro'd this thread... I'm going to use this quote here, because that statement sums up the issue of passing in this game. I mean, think about it, a single pass has 4 potential fail points, each one of which results in a turnover.

1) Fumble on launch (especially harsh for Ag 3 and Ag 2 throwers)
2) Interception (can be mitigated by not throwing over opponents)
3) inaccurate pass outside of catchers square
4) Dropped pass on the catch component

That's pretty crazy, and fairly risky even for Elves. So instead of upping the SPPs ie. raising the reward, how about decreasing the risk, especially for pass access players, ie. throwers.

How would this sound as a house rule?
1) Fumble on launch - Modify Safe Throw. Instead of holding onto the ball on a 1 you can choose to either hold the ball (current rule) or scatter launch*.
*Intentional Grounding In order to prevent abuse, ie. simply guaranteeing that you can launch to an empty square, you can only choose scatter launch if a teammate is the intended target. Scatter Launch can't be used with Hail Mary (already scattered) or Dump Off.

I don't think it's game breaking, passing is still risky, but it spreads the field. If a Thro-Ra with Safe Throw has the ball, for example you have to take any players in your defensive backfield seriously, because the Thro-Ra may elect to let it fly.

I wouldn't mind the passing rule on the fail meter to use the shorter of the two pass ranges when the distance is between two ranges as well.

Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

I like the idea of encouraging more passing in the game but I'm not sure this would have the desired effect.

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

I like it, especially the setting of quick pass at 0SPP, this rewards the true passing teams with higher SPP and takes away easy points from backfield passing and dumpoff exploits for SPP.

In my league I award 1SPP for a catch of an accurate pass as a way of helping out passing teams (but also give SPP for KOs & pushouts so bash gets a bonus too), I like your idea better.