Pro, not very good is it?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Pro, not very good is it?

Post by Chris »

As it is simply not taken much, what would be the effect of making the pro roll easier? So 3+ or even 2+. At what point does it tip into being worth it? Never because it always has a chance of failure?

Would it be better for that player to get 1 re-roll they can use in the match (or perhaps one per half?)?

Reason: ''
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Pro, not very good is it?

Post by txapo »

Pro is the best skill for big guys after block on a double!

for others,...people say is cool for vamps, but I don't see it as for other players I always find somethingelse to skill up!

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Personally I think Pro works exactly how it's supposed to in that by taking it you increase the percentage of suceeding on a given action (typically block) and thereby lower the probability of burning a team re-roll.

But there are generally better skills to take before it which is why you don't see pro a lot. I'd venture to guess most folks wouldn't think about taking it before they're 4th or 5th skill....and how many players get to that point. :wink:

But generally speaking block -> tackle -> pro is (IMO) still the most reliable combo at putting opponents on their back. I wouldn't bother changing it just to make it get taken more.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Really, not wrestle-tackle-frenzy? :)

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

That depends on if you want to be standing too! :P

Iranian Spy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Iranian Spy »

I think Pro would be better if, when failing the pro-reroll, instead of burning a Team ReRoll on the 4+, that you simply re-rolled the original die roll instead of having to burn it on the pro-reroll. I don't know if it would see more usage but I'd certainly consider it more than just a big guy skill at that point.

I also think there are generally better 2nd doubles skills on most big guys depending on what they are of course. Bear in mind though, that we're talking 2nd doubles here; that makes Pro a very low priority choice on the skill list.

Team Scotland: for Blood Bowl in Scotland http://www.createforum.com/teamscotland ... scotlandbb

Glasgow Blood Bowl League https://www.facebook.com/groups/273727376038744/

The Artist formerly known as "Shaheen"
Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

Nah, Pro's awesome. It works in your opponents turn and in yours and can work on (almost) any roll,well 50% of the time anyway. :)

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Shaheen wrote:I think Pro would be better if, when failing the pro-reroll, instead of burning a Team ReRoll on the 4+, that you simply re-rolled the original die roll instead of having to burn it on the pro-reroll. I don't know if it would see more usage but I'd certainly consider it more than just a big guy skill at that point.
I've contemplated this before. It would definitely buff the skill as it would take all the risk out of using it. Pro didn't work....I'll just spend my re-rol like I would have anyway. I still like it better the way it is though. It's more dramatic. :wink:

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Someone did an analysis (last year?) and Wrestle-Pro was marginally to significantly better at bringing someone down than almost all other 2-skill combos.... It beat out all other combos in almost every response to opponent skills....

I think the analysis was meant to benefit Thralls....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Iranian Spy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Iranian Spy »

Despite the stats, I'd still go with Wrestle, Strip Ball for popping the ball loose

Team Scotland: for Blood Bowl in Scotland http://www.createforum.com/teamscotland ... scotlandbb

Glasgow Blood Bowl League https://www.facebook.com/groups/273727376038744/

The Artist formerly known as "Shaheen"
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Shaheen wrote:Despite the stats, I'd still go with Wrestle, Strip Ball for popping the ball loose
Well... the stats were in support of Thrall livelihood.... Strip Ball falls to Sure Hands so can be nullified... and that worries me....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neverworking »

There is an Orc player in a league I belong to that decided to try an experiment of taking pro as the third skill for every player that rolled only rolled regular skill ups. In games he will use pro the majority of the time he fails to knock down a player. He has been very successful with it and now is quite the advocate for the skill as is. He is a pretty good player and it's unclear to me how much it matters that he spammed the skill.

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

It has been made a little more redundant now mind, with the advent of Loner giving your big Guys a 50% chance at RR anyway there is little need for it.

I would be interested to see Pro change a little so that you could use it then decide which dice you would like to use. For example - you could roll a block, get 2 push backs then use pro and if you pass your pro roll then get two skulls you can choose to revert back to the pushbacks roll.

Or if used for passing and you require a 4+ but roll a 3 then use pro succesfully but your re-roll is a 1, you could take the 3 so you dont fumble the pass.

That would be a big boost to the skill and im certain more people would take it then.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

As this is in the house rules section i think the simplest option would be to change it to a 3+. Should be enough of a boost without changing the balance too much.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Corvidius wrote:As this is in the house rules section i think the simplest option would be to change it to a 3+. Should be enough of a boost without changing the balance too much.
I actually like that suggestion a lot.

HEY GALAK! :D