Pro, not very good is it?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Void
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Pro, not very good is it?

Post by Void »

I've been also thinking why I almost never take Pro. The conclusion is - because it doesn't save me from a turnover when I need it. Most of the re-rollable actions result in a turn-over when failed, so Pro is left only for Big Guys negative traits, Foul Appearance, Tentacles and that's about it.

My idea was to completely change the Pro info "Result of the action, not involving a ball, doesn't cause a turn over". However I have not tested if the result wouldn't be to strong.

Reason: ''
TheDoc
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TheDoc »

I've started to play vampires and Pro isn't my first choice. I'd rather take dodge, block etc and live with blood lust. This is mainly due to BL being boosted in LRB6. Leaves pro redundant to me. I'd never take it on a big guy when block is available then frenzy.

gandresch
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gandresch »

Hi,

i tried different things and i took Pro on several players but only to manage certain situations.
- Troll Slayer: You have MB and Tackle (perhaps even Guard). Pro is great to reroll pushbacks and it has a much greater effect on the play than Juggernaut or PO - I usually prefer to keep the player standing instead of prone in a dwarf team.
- Big Guys for the obvious reason. On a tree it might be more useful than Block.
- On my Norse teams i usually leave the throwers out and take a lino with Pro early on, so I am able to reroll pickups, passes AND perhaps dodges. Sure Hands gives you safety against Strip Ball but is limited to this one special reroll. You do not have that much rerolls in the early progression of the team and when you save the money for the more expensive players, you can use the lino in another role later on when you buy your Sure Hands thrower. The skill isn't lost and offers a lot of possibilities.
- On Vampire teams it seems useful, but since most of the Vamps are pretty much annoying when they have Blodge and afterwards can reach Thralls more easy, i don't really know if it's reasonable.

Pro is good but it certainly will never be a mass used skill until there is a team where all players gain it as a starting skill.

gan

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

The only real use I can see for Pro is on loner big-guys.

The 4+ roll is the same as using Loner for a TRR, it just means that if/when it fails, you won't waste a TRR doing so.

Other than that... if you're doing a critical action (trying to RR a turnover) you don't want to be missing the RR chance 50% of the time. And sure its nice to have the option of rerolling e.g. a push, but that's just asking for Nuffle to grant you double-skulls...

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Yeah, I’d say Pro is only useful for rolls you don’t mind failing, for emergencies once re-rolls run out or on loners.

So that limits it to things like the last action of the turn or re-rolling things like negatraits/special abilities (bonehead, bloodlust, hypno gaze etc). If your player has block or wrestle then it can be used for re-rolling pushes but in general that is a bad idea unless you really need that player down. You are just asking nuffle to give you double skulls.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Iranian Spy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Iranian Spy »

Having played more vamps recently I'm beginning to learn to love pro and probably wouldn't be able to field 6 vamps ever without it. Also, I like it on Frenzy type players like trollslayers, berzerkers and sometimes to an extend witchelves especially for the jump ups.

Team Scotland: for Blood Bowl in Scotland http://www.createforum.com/teamscotland ... scotlandbb

Glasgow Blood Bowl League https://www.facebook.com/groups/273727376038744/

The Artist formerly known as "Shaheen"
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Pro as #1 pick: Nobody.
Pro as #2 pick: Norse Linos, 2nd doubles on any Loner, Wrestle-sackers in short formats or on teams with skill access deficits and pricey re-rolls
Pro as #3-4 pick: Vampires, G-only players, guys who start with lots of blocking skills and throw too many hits.
Pro as #5-6 pick: Blitzers, strong guys, and guys who throw a lot of 2d hits; players who make a wide variety of d6 rolls, like statfreaks and GRs. Tackle, Frenzy, Grab, Dauntless, Jump Up, Leap, Sprint: Pro stacks with all these. Stacks with the killstack too. Remember, every extra chance to pow is a proportionate extra chance to injure, and if that chance to injure fails it still costs the opponent an action.

Some good Pro targets
Human Lineman with Block, Tackle, Frenzy
Slann Linefrog with Wrestle, Fend
Norse Lineman with Tackle or Fend
Chaos Dwarf with Guard, ClawPOMB
Dwarf Slayer or Norse Berserker with POMB
Ghoul with +AG, Block, SS, on a team that already has enough Tackle and a Sure Hands player
Amazon Linewoman with +MA, +AG, Block, on a team with a skilled Thrower
Underworld or Pact Linerat with Wrestle and maybe Strip Ball
Rotter with Wrestle
Witch Elf with Wrestle, Side Step, Tackle, Diving Tackle
High Elf Catcher with Block, Dodge, Side Step, Tackle, Leap
Wood Elf Catcher with Wrestle, Dauntless, Leap

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Since this is the house rules section....

Would Pro be too good if it allowed you to reroll something that had already been rerolled? Still requiring a 4+ naturally.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

plasmoid wrote:Since this is the house rules section....

Would Pro be too good if it allowed you to reroll something that had already been rerolled? Still requiring a 4+ naturally.

Cheers
Martin
Without doing any math, my gut feeling says yes.

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I can see what you mean.
Then again, onsidering some of my current teams, I can still see several skills my players would rather have...

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead