Using up those spare models! [mixed race team]

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

kerrygray8
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kerrygray8 »

Howdy,

Once upon a time, my friend and I were 1 team short in a 16 team BB league we ran. So, I trawled through all my spare models and managed to come up with a rather random collection of 'spare' BB models with which to create a team. Thus, Zargo's Unholy Menagerie were born, with the following House Rules used to try and moderate any potential advantages from mixing the races! Playtested through about 30 games (over 2 seasons) and with a few tweaks, this now seems to produce a fairly balanced team that is quite interesting to play.

Current full roster includes 1 Halfling; 1 Goblin; three Helloweenie Stunties; 1 Dwarf Blitzer; 1 Beastman; 1 Dark Elf Lineman; 1 Amazon Linewoman; 1 Orc Lineman; 1 Skaven Gutter Runner; 1 Black Orc Blocker; 1 Saurus; 1 Human Lineman; 1 Skaven Linerat; and 1 Chaos Marauder.

Sounds like a massively over-powered combo of speed, strength and agility right? The following rules have (so far) held them in check:

1) No Big Guys
2) Allowed 0-2 ‘Blockers’ – any chosen MUST be ST 4 and not have Block skill
3) Allowed 0-2 ‘Blitzers’ – may either be an actual Blitzer (e.g. Dwarf Blitzer), or a vague racial approximation (e.g. Beastman). May not have ST 4 or AG 4
4) Allowed 0-2 ‘skill’ players – any chosen MUST have AG 4. May only be Linemen or Catchers (or racial approximation to Catcher)
5) No Throwers or unusual racial positionals (e.g. Dwarf Runners, Wood Elf Wardancers, etc)
6) Must have 3+ Stunty players on the team roster at all times.
7) Must have 7 – 16 Linemen (inc. Stunties) – actual Linemen (or racial approximation) from any race PROVIDED they have neither ST or AG better than 3
8] Cheerleaders – no limits!
9) Assistant Coaches – maximum of 2. Only the most diehard of coaches can stand working with this argumentative bunch…..
10) Apothecary – one allowed, as per standard rules.
11) Re-rolls – cost 80,000. At team creation, maximum of 2 may be purchased.
12) All players have the traits Loner and Animosity. Animosity applies to ALL other players on the team, even those of the same race.
13) If the team ever require Journeymen to make up 11 fit players, the FIRST Journeyman will always be a Stunty player. Any further Journeymen required will alternate between Linemen of a ST 3 race and Stunties.
14) No player may take the ‘Leader’ skill.
15) After every TD is scored, and at half time, roll a d6 and add +1 if the team is losing. If the result is 4 or more, a fight breaks out in the team’s dugout. Randomly select one player who is not currently injured, KO’d or sent off and immediately make an Injury Roll for them. On a ‘Stunned’ result the player is placed in the Reserves box but may not set up for the forthcoming drive.

I came up with fluff reasons for most of these rules, but have omitted the fluff from this post to save a bit of space!

The team has had some decent victories, but struggles due to unreliable re-rolls and its two key ball-handlers (Dark Elf and Gutter Runner) getting mercilessly picked on :D

I make no claims that this set of House Rules would always be balanced - they are probably really easy to exploit if one wished. I just wanted to share my own experience of creating a mixed race team (out of necessity) and then finding a way to make them playable without (apparently) upsetting league balance :)

Reason: ''
barnacle111
Veteran
Veteran

Post by barnacle111 »

Yep, I like that idea. This is truly a mixed race team like the second Ed Mongrel Horde always appeared to me, not the chaos pact equivalent that is about now. I like the idea that bloodbowl will cross all boundaries between races, and some don't care who they play with as long as they play! Fight with the opposition, fight with each other... What difference does it make?

Reason: ''
For something completely diffferent and non bloodbowl... www.tomandcath.com