Diving Catch: Making it Fun

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

What do you think?

Broken, will make DC too good.
27%
Not broken, but I don't like it.
13%
Like it, but nobody will take DC anyway.
33%
Like it, think it might be good for the game.
20%
Makes me want to play Slann!
7%

Total votes: 15

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Diving Catch: Making it Fun

Post by mattgslater »

Nobody takes it. It's such a cool skill in theory, but such a let-down in practice.

Would this fix it?

a) Diving Catch can be used on a bouncing ball.
b) Diving Catch cannot be used by a player who has already failed a pick-up or catch attempt this turn.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Re: Diving Catch: Making it Fun

Post by plasmoid »

Bouf tried that with Slann, and he reported it as very unbalanced.
I think it's a decent skill for AG3 catchers.

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

plasmoid wrote:Bouf tried that with Slann, and he reported it as very unbalanced.
I think it's a decent skill for AG3 catchers.
Ah, there's the rub. We just picked up a new Human coach (up to now, I'm the only one, and Catchers don't fit my style), so maybe we'll see it.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

The problem would be the synergy with Strip Ball (with Catch / NoS on top perhaps). Wardancers and Slann would be insane, sometimes all you can do against those guys is protect the scatter at the moment. Take away that ...

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

I play it on human catchers. Makes them elf like.

Maybe it is a short pass on a 2+ but so is the catch... cool.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

Joemanji wrote:The problem would be the synergy with Strip Ball (with Catch / NoS on top perhaps). Wardancers and Slann would be insane, sometimes all you can do against those guys is protect the scatter at the moment. Take away that ...
Pro elf catchers.....mmmm

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Joemanji wrote:The problem would be the synergy with Strip Ball (with Catch / NoS on top perhaps). Wardancers and Slann would be insane, sometimes all you can do against those guys is protect the scatter at the moment. Take away that ...
Yeah, I suppose so. What if it were only usable by a player in the clear?

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

My opinion is that Diving Catch should be a skill only constructed to improve the passing game.
My idea for changing Diving Catch is removing all this catching in next square all together and making it a simple +1 on catching passes and +1 on passes targeting this player.

Pro:
Diving Catch becomes a stronger skill. (If my math is correct)
Streamlines the skill.
Really attrictive for making a SPP-pass reciver.
Passing game, especially with AG3 and reroll available or Pass/Catch skilled up players, becomes stronger and more reliable.

Con
Not usable at kick-offs.
Combo with HMP is removed (when did we last se this one anyway).
Removes unique content on an old and well familiar (but not so often chosen) skill.