Personal Trainer

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

Personal Trainer

Post by Lunchab1es »

Hey all,
I run a very small "league" amongst some old friends. There are only 3 members, and we live all across the world, so games are rare. They tend to be clumped into a few weekends a year. With that in mind, combined with the fact that all of us have moderate to strong roots in RPGs where leveling up adds to our enjoyment, we've been modifying the rules to speed development curves.

Currently, the MVP is not entirely random. Each coach nominates six players, then rolls a D6. While this has helped focus some SPP's, there is still a feeling that we would like to see a little more development happening, so I'm trying to brainstorm ways to make that happen without it getting ridiculous.

For further reference, players can have more than one active team, and the teams are Necro, Wood Elves, Goblins, and Underworld, so at the moment at least, there's no danger of a purposefully slow-developing team getting good way too fast, but it is something that I need to keep in mind should someone start a new team. Current house rules are the aforementioned modified MVP, and starting with 1.1M GP.

So I have two basic ideas for how to make that happen:

Idea 1: Add a secondary MVP.
Very straightforward, but maybe too much and too easy. Could decrease to 3 SPPs instead of 5, or make it a roster-wide role rather than "pick 6". Or maybe pick 3 players, role a D3, get 3 SPPs.

Idea 2: Hire "Personal Trainer" between matches. (Limit 0-1?)
Cost is 50k (or maybe 100k?). Role a D6. On a 1 the player suffers a serious injury. From there I have varying ideas... 2-6 could be 3 or 5 SPPs (keeps it simple). Or Varying levels of success, eg 2-5 is 3 SPPs but a 6 is 5 SPPs. Or 2-5 is 5 SPPs, 6 is +1 movement.

Obviously idea 2 has a ton of permutations and possibilities of being unbalanced. However, it is (in my mind) more fun and characterful. Could even have different "types" of training (eg weights vs conditioning, having different results tables). I am leaning towards developing idea 2 more.

So I would love any ideas and feedback. I want to add a bit of a boost without deviating too far into crazy land. I don't mind it not being 100% balanced, but I do want to keep it "reasonable".

Reason: ''
Looking for: 5th ed Human Thrower #2
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Personal Trainer

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi Lunchab1es,

Since you all play so infrequently I could not see any reason to select three potential MVP's for each team instead of six?

Perhaps try this:
1) You select two potential MVP's on your own team
2) Your opponent selects one potential
3) do the d3 roll

My friends over at www.mh.bloodbowlleague use this format and they play a decent amount of scheduled games and nothing gets out of control from what i can tell.

In fact, I don't even think adding a secondary (random) rolled MVP would hurt your campaign either.

Getting skilled players is fun. Go for it!!

Cheers,
Michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com