Houseruled Improvement Table

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Like?

Yes
14%
No
36%
Sorta
21%
Dunno
7%
Pie
21%

Total votes: 14

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Houseruled Improvement Table

Post by mattgslater »

Problem 1: Skill system peaks out too low, leaving marginal skills unselected.
Problem 2: Stacking skills, usually from multiple categories, eventually achieve a too-big force multiplier for additive per-skill TV.
Problem 3: As-is, it's common to cut single-category players at 31 SPP or 51 SPP if they fail to double or +stat. This is okay, but if it got a lot more common (as it would with cumulative per-skill TV) it could be annoying.
Problem 4: Lots of great fixes are complex: I want a simple fix. If I have to break down the skills into a list (as was done with Traits), I've gone too far.

Solution: Set SPP categories at 126 SPP and 201 SPP in lieu of 176. TV add for a player is as-is for stats, and all skills add a base 20k (doubles or no). However, for each category of improvement a player has beyond the first, add 10k TV, plus an additional 10k TV if one of these categories is Mutations.

Example: A Beastman with Block, or MB, or Claw, or doubles and Dodge, is worth 60k+20k = 80k. A Beastman with any two of those is worth 110k, or 120k if one is Claw. A Block/ClawPOMB Beastman is 60k base + 80k skills + 20k for three skill categories + 10k because one of those categories is M = 170k. A Blodgestep/Guard High Elf Lino is 70k + 80k + 20k = 170k also.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Houseruled Improvement Table

Post by dode74 »

Similar to something I have previously suggested.

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

lots of suggestions bouncing around because of how bad the flat rate cost of skills was.

My preferred favourite is

skill levels -

1st skill level - 20k
2nd - 20k
3rd - 30k
4th - 30k
5th - 40k
6th - 40k
7th - 50k

this would make it more in line with LRB4 which worked great up to a point and solves those problems.

The lrb4 problems were increased TR added to player for SPP gained after they reached legend, which made them less and less worth their cost as time went on. Also paying for spp when you were just short of a skill was annoying too.

This way solves the CRP and lrb4 problems, but moves it back in line with the lrb4 version which encouraged more even skill distribution.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

mattgslater wrote:(...)Solution: Set SPP categories at 126 SPP and 201 SPP in lieu of 176. (...)
This might be interesting.
As for skill costs, I suppose I'd keep doubles (and +stats) more expensive, and skills would become more expensive as they pile up (much like garion suggested).

Just my 2 cents.

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

As i see it is a twosided problem. One is that each skill adds more to the player the better the player is. The other is that the skills are just not equal. Most agilaty skills just don't add enough to a crappy stuntyplayer to be worth the TV, and the reason to hunt doubbles for a bigguy is only that Block is golden for a loner.

Then the question is what to do about it, I just don't see there being any optimal sollution, the best thing about the current system is that it is simple.The only good tradeoff for simplicaty counter correct prizing i see it is that that you might scale cost with level and maybe skills tier.

I might even see it as an optional rule for those systems that use cumputerised calculations of TV to drop the holy cow of even 10k prizing and allow +5k and -5k skill costs of the skills that are sub and above par.

Or to just be satisfied that some skills are less chosen and at some point certain players are rather recycled then getting another normal skill.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Well, not sure your plan addresses issues 1,2 and 3. And when it comes to costs you are basically having a go at claw. There should be some kind of cumulative cost, if you have a problem with claw kill stack maybe look at claw or the rest of the stack, and would your system do anything for stat increases? For me the big imbalance in a perpetual league is average stats can't compare with '4's' over the long league, stat improvements give away inducements to similar power level teams that don't have then and have skills instead and the problem sme teams have with rooky replacements dooming them in a advanced set up.

Another system is to make injuries more likely for more advanced players so using higher turn over to balance things.
mattgslater wrote:Problem 1: Skill system peaks out too low, leaving marginal skills unselected.
Problem 2: Stacking skills, usually from multiple categories, eventually achieve a too-big force multiplier for additive per-skill TV.
Problem 3: As-is, it's common to cut single-category players at 31 SPP or 51 SPP if they fail to double or +stat. This is okay, but if it got a lot more common (as it would with cumulative per-skill TV) it could be annoying.
Problem 4: Lots of great fixes are complex: I want a simple fix. If I have to break down the skills into a list (as was done with Traits), I've gone too far.

Solution: Set SPP categories at 126 SPP and 201 SPP in lieu of 176. TV add for a player is as-is for stats, and all skills add a base 20k (doubles or no). However, for each category of improvement a player has beyond the first, add 10k TV, plus an additional 10k TV if one of these categories is Mutations.

Example: A Beastman with Block, or MB, or Claw, or doubles and Dodge, is worth 60k+20k = 80k. A Beastman with any two of those is worth 110k, or 120k if one is Claw. A Block/ClawPOMB Beastman is 60k base + 80k skills + 20k for three skill categories + 10k because one of those categories is M = 170k. A Blodgestep/Guard High Elf Lino is 70k + 80k + 20k = 170k also.