Chosen MVP: pros and cons, please.

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Chosen MVP: pros and cons, please.

Post by Shteve0 »

We've used chosen MVP in the WBBL (14-16 game seasons, 14 coaches) for 4+ seasons and I think it's great. We've had zero complaints about it - and when I stripped back all the house rules a year or so ago, it was the only one that remained.

I believe the Christchurch and Auckland leagues down here have also adopted it. I suspect it's one of those things that sounds scary only until you actually try it - in my (fairly limited) experience it benefits most teams pretty evenly. From a fluff perspective, I appreciate it's illogical; but so, for me, is random MVP.

Reason: ''
League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: Chosen MVP: pros and cons, please.

Post by mattgslater »

Having done it all, my favorite is allowing a re-roll. As with any re-roll, if you roll again you have to take the second result.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
qualia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by qualia »

In a mini-league I played, we got 3 candidates for MVP - 1 candidate was randomly chosen, 1 nominated by the team coach, and the other nominated by the opposing coach. We then rolled a D3 to decide who got it.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I had a league where coaches selected their own MVPs. Your opponent was allowed to call "bull" if you weren't choosing one who contributed to the match. Nobody ever had to. Much of the time the MVP was clear!

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

I think in a fixed length league format where all teams play x games this would be fine and a good way to help specific player's skill up.

If a league has an open format it may lead to a large imbalance in terms of TV. The teams which play a lot more than others will already have more skilled players than those who play infrequently. Chosing the MVP will probably make the disparity even greater.

Stating this as long as all coaches within the league follow the same rules it's all good. Unevenly matched TV games are why we have an inducement system.

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

We play it so that no Merc, Star, Journeyman or dead player can win the MVP, other than that it is random. Allocating it would take some of the fun out of the game for me. All those games trying to hand off to a Saurus...

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton