Chosen MVP: pros and cons, please.

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

JaM
Legend
Legend

Chosen MVP: pros and cons, please.

Post by JaM »

I'd like to hear some experineces with the 'chosen MVP' thingie. If you use it in a league, are there extra rules (as in- player must have earned some spp this game, or at least had a succesfull action,... you name it), stuff like that.

I was thinking of implementing it/proposing it to my league mates, but I'd like to have some back up arguments for the rule.

So, let's hear it! Good idea? Bad idea? Extra rules/ideas about this?

Hope to hear from you all,

JaM

Reason: ''
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Chosen MVP: pros and cons, please.

Post by el Superbeasto »

We briefly discussed it in our friendly league, but left it again. The impact would greatly enhance some of the more slow-to-develop teams such as Nurgle and Lizardmen.
I see where you're heading with the idea, but I'd suggest a more moderate version such as "roll for two MVPs - choose one" or the option of rerolling the MVP roll.

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Again seen it discussed in leagues, discounted on the control it gave coaches. Have seen though a second MVP shared between both teams. It is randomly assigned to any rookie on the two teams (so less than 6spp) as a newcomers award and was meant to help newer teams against older ones. So team a does MVP, team b, then line up all the rookies from both teams and randomly assign the newcomers award.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

We run a 14-16 team league where everyone plays everyone once, and for the last 2-3 seasons we have used a " semi-random" MVP system, at the end of the match you choose 6 players and your opponent rolls a D6 to see who gets the MVP, the only criteria is that players had to be available to play ( no miss next game guys)

I've not heard any complaints, it was a worry that some teams would develop "superstars" but as there's nearly always a couple of lineman/zombies ect , who have managed a casualty or even a TD and it's a 1 in 6 I don't think that's become a problem....

The advantage is if you have a howler of a game, no TDs, no cas, not even a completion at least you'll be guaranteed to get something from it, not watch the MVP wasted on a hired star or worse on a player who's died or is being cut due to injury!!

TBH, I pushed for this in my league so my view may be slightly bias, however I believe it does encourage newer coaches as they get to develop players....

neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neverworking »

It greatly improves the teams with low agility blockers, so expect any of those teams to move up the power curve.

Making a player do "something" to be eligible for the MVP sounds thematic for the award's title, however it will cause it to gravitate away from rookies and towards the players that already have skills (the degree depending on what qualifies as "doing something"). In other words, the unskilled will be more likely to stay unskilled and the stars will get even more SPPs.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I see your point neverworking.

I think I'll implement glowworm's idea: 6 players, roll a d6. Still semi-random, but good enough.

Thanks!

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

It removes the chance of the MVP ad memoriam (on a dead player), which I consider one of the funniest situations of BB.
So I prefer greatly the totally random MVP.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Agree with Rolex. In fact we go further, and allow Journeymen, Mercs and Stars all the chance to win the MVP. If you're using "free" layers instead of building your own then you should run the risk of losing the MVPs.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Darkson wrote:Agree with Rolex. In fact we go further, and allow Journeymen, Mercs and Stars all the chance to win the MVP. If you're using "free" layers instead of building your own then you should run the risk of losing the MVPs.
Yes, but it's not that in this league people are actually 'wanting' to use a journeyman, to cut TV.
Stars are rarely used, also. I dont even think anyone ever used a merc. ...

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Rolex wrote:It removes the chance of the MVP ad memoriam (on a dead player), which I consider one of the funniest situations of BB.
Well you could decide the 6 players before the game and roll the dice at the end of the game.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

Elyoukey wrote:
Rolex wrote:It removes the chance of the MVP ad memoriam (on a dead player), which I consider one of the funniest situations of BB.
Well you could decide the 6 players before the game and roll the dice at the end of the game.
You don't know our league. :lol:
If you name 6 players for the MVP here the opposing coach will just tell you: "Nice, now I know which ones to kill."
Before fouling we ask how many SPP each player has in order to foul the one which has the most.

Anyway in general I think this goesawy from BB and towards Farm Bowl mentality.
Less fun.
Skilling is not the game, it's one of his parts and IMHO far from the most important.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Rolex wrote: You don't know our league. :lol:
If you name 6 players for the MVP here the opposing coach will just tell you: "Nice, now I know which ones to kill."
Before fouling we ask how many SPP each player has in order to foul the one which has the most.
Actually i don't do league, i don't believe farming is a "fun" part of the game. I was just enhancing the idea if JaM wanted to use the D6 MVP and had the same remark as yours.

also i don't see the issue with telling your opponent who to kill in your team. In fact it can be an interesting metagame: if you want to get my MVP players, then go and chase them in the "opposite side of the field", but then you will not be able to stop me from scoring TDs.
but of course if your opponent just want to kill your players and don't care about loosing/wining, you are not playing the same game then.

el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

I don't like the "choose 6 players" version as it removes the chance of your worthless players gaining MVP and skilling up to become stars. Last season I had a Sure hands, +AG, blodge hobgoblin and he was loads of fun. Would never have gotten him if I could have nominated six players for MVP.

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

Sorry, maybe there is a misunderstanding.

What I meant is that the main reason to choose where the MVP might go is to put SPP where you want, without having to gain them the hard way.
This IMO is farming.

My approach (and my mates') to farming is of course murdering the farmed players (or trying at least). :lol:

And killing players is not opposed to winning, for me.
Chosing one is too easy.
You have to win AND skill AND kill AND....
That makes the game more fun.

I think that the totally random MVP is better in the game. The other options feel too much an easy way out.
Just my opinion of course.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Well, I do agree with the skilling. Then again, we have 4 players atm (3 active), and skilling for me isnt really a problem: I play High Elves. Getting those spp is 'easy' for me.
My main opponents play Orcs, Chaos and Undead. They have a harder time. Getting to skill a player might add fun to them, something like that.
I dont really care actually, but I was looking for some input about this.

Thanks all! :)