Pass Deflection skill....

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

tommy316
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by tommy316 »

Okay, I searched and the most recent thing I could find was mention of a deflection rule by Katie Muzak in a Three Die Block podcast, but I couldn't locate what exactly the rule was....does anybody have the specifics? I'll lay out my idea anyways

And after last nights Seahawks game and Richard Sherman's deflection at the end of the game... I got thinking.... if a player could get the skill of Pass Deflection then when they attempted to intercept the ball and they roll a 5 (modified or unmodified- saw that elsewhere too, but was along the lines of what I was thinking) then they have tipped the pass and caused it to scatter. Roll on the scatter table for direction and then for a quick or short pass it scatters one square, for a long pass it lands two squares away (it does not land in the adjacent square and bounce to the next), for long bombs it lands three squares away.... if it lands out of bounds- normal rules apply and if it lands in an occupied square, normal rules apply.

Okay- that was just me throwing a rough draft of an idea out there... any recommendations or information regarding the other rule would be appreciated.... unfortunately I've followed the game for a loooooooong time, but haven't been able to get in the playing time that most of you have - one game last year :( so my grasp of the "newer" rules are a little weak

Thanks- JT

Reason: ''
tommy316
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by tommy316 »

Before anyone tells me to "listen to the podcast" :) I've tried to locate it and I'm not sure which cast it was and where it would be in the show... I've checked their webpage and looked at the archive of shows, but haven't been able to pinpoint it

Thanks for any assistance
-JT

IT ONLY HURTS IF YOU ARE LOSING!
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Pass Deflection skill....

Post by Joemanji »

To be honest Blood Bowl is not as much about passing as (American) football. We already have the skill Pass Block that see virtually no use, so I think that would cover the idea of a player who was good at covering / deflecting the pass.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
tommy316
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by tommy316 »

But pass block just moves the player into position to attempt a interception, from my interpretation... Not really the same thing.

Although Pass Block with Deflection would make a good defensive combo of skills

Maybe make a player with this skill negate the Safe Throw skill too???

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Perhaps I should have said "this kind of skill seems very specific to your needs so make up whatever you think works best".

The real life event you mentione seems very minor/unusual, to the extent that you can pretend that it is already covered by the inaccurate passing rules. Just assume that instead of the ball being thrown to the wrong square, the ball was deflected there. This would be the "design" answer I feel.

In terms of even quasi-sensible house rules such a skill would be superfluous. But have fun with it!

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
tommy316
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by tommy316 »

I'll have to disagree with the statement that the real life event is very minor/ unusual... It's very common in football. I would think that inaccurate passing rule would represent a throwers poor accuracy and not a defenders coverage skill...
Also, the effect would be quite different then an inaccurate pass as the ball would move from the defenders square which may be at a different distance from the thrower than the inaccurate pass.
But I get your "design answer" and as I said- I don't have the playing experience that most of you do, so I appreciate your opinion and input

Thanks

tommy316
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by tommy316 »

Okay, found the podcast..... Similar idea, but not a skill- basically any interception roll, one less than an interception (so need to roll a 6 and get a 5/ or roll a 5 and get a 4) would result in a deflection and then roll on the scatter.