Backroom Shenanigans

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Cestrian
Rookie
Rookie

Backroom Shenanigans

Post by Cestrian »

Hello there,

I've been trying to come up with some rules that better reflect the behind the scenes shenanigans that occur during a Blood Bowl season. I've come up with a few below which are of varying quality, but I think are a good starting place. I haven't got them right and I'm missing out on a few areas that I'd like to cover too. These are the things I'm aiming for with the rules:

1) To make the Head Coach position more than ceremonial
2) To have some kind of sacking mechanism in place for assistant coaches/cheerleaders/re-rolls
3) To have very illegal things happen in the background

Also, these rules would only be used in a closed league with a limited number of participants. I'm not looking to have something that'll always work, but something that will work in that situation.

Backroom Shenanigans

All Head Coaches gain the following special rules:

Arguing the Call – if a player is sent off then the Head Coach may, after any Bribes are used, make a roll with 1D6. On a roll of 1 the Head Coach is sent off too and the team lose all of the Head Coach’s special abilities (see Assistant Coach for full details). On a roll of 6 the player stays on the pitch. 2-5 is no effect.

Place a Bounty – any Head Coach may place a bounty on the head of a particularly hated player. The prize is a monetary reward given to the team who kills the nominated player. The Head Coach may choose any player, then must take a minimum of 10k out of his treasury/bank which is then placed in a special pot, to be recorded where appropriate. There is no upper limit to the amount that can be placed on a player. If the player is assassinated then the bounty is void and all money returns to its original owner.

Experience beats youth – they say that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but that’s only because they already know them all already. A Head Coach gains experience in the following way: after each win roll a D3, each loss D3-1 and draw do not roll. The amount rolled after modification count as SP points for the Head Coach. The SPP table is the same for head coaches (ie. they go up a level after gaining 6 SPPs), but the rewards are different. On gaining a level the coach chooses a Special Play Card. This becomes a permanent part of the team, and the card’s cost is added to the team roster. Follow all the normal rules for Special Play Cards.

Assistant Coaches gain the following rule:

Assistant Coach – if the team has an assistant and the Head Coach is assassinated or sent-off mid game, then the assistant will take over. You immediately lose the +1 for Brilliant Coaching on the Kick-Off table for that assistant. Some assistants are better than others however, so additionally you must roll a D6. On a roll of 1 the assistant is awful and the team lose all benefits of having a Head Coach and any other backroom staff. The awful assistant is sacked at the end of the match. On a 2-5 the assistant is competent and the team still has the ability to argue the call, can use extra backroom staff as usual, though lose all abilities the Head Coach had. On a 6 the assistant is brilliant and keeps all of the rules that the Head Coach had (though you still lose the +1 for Brilliant Coaching).

The club gains the following rule:

Assassins! – the club may hire an assassin as per these rules - http://www.midgardbb.com/Assassin.html

Thieves! – the club may hire a thief to raid the funds of another club in the league. Thieving is less of a noble art than assassination, so it attracts the lesser skilled practitioners, though, it is true, the more money you spend, the better thief you’ll get. When hiring a thief you must declare how much money you want them to steal, up to a total of 120k, they will take half (rounding up to the nearest 10k) as their cut. Then roll 2D6, if you equal or go over the amount you wish to steal, the thief has been successful, if lower the thief has been unsuccessful. If a double is rolled when successful the thief has been caught but not snitched on you, you lose the amount you would have paid to the thief. If a double is rolled when unsuccessful, the thief has been caught and snitched! You lose your payment to the thief and are fined 50k by the league.

----

So far I'm happy with having the Assassins! and Thieves! rules in, but want the former simplified in some way. I think how the Head/Assistant coaches interact is ok, though perhaps a bit clunky. Also I'm not sure that the Head Coach upgrades would be that good, or worth the TV bloat in the long term.

Also, I haven't really looked at the effects losing a Necromancer Head Coach would have. Losing regeneration was one (good) suggestion I read.

Any more ideas?

Reason: ''
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Re: Backroom Shenanigans

Post by voyagers_uk »

Bellicheat inspired...

Spies...

the head coach has employed individuals to watch the practices of his opponents. Once per game on a dice roll of 3+ he can force the opponent to re-roll a reroll the result of which sticks.

Sorry Sir!

the head coach is now vunerable and every time one of his players is pushed off the pitch, he could fall on his boss on a dice roll of 4+ the head coach is injured and cannot take an active part in the game moving forward.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Cestrian
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Backroom Shenanigans

Post by Cestrian »

Really like the Spies! idea, that's in - will be pretty amusing I think! Worth 50k per go I think?

Not so sure about the Sorry Sir! rule, though I like the name of it...

I think having the Thieves! Spies! Assassin! rules mean there can be quite a lot of chaos behind the scenes. I'll try to make my rules in keeping with the simplicity of the Spies! one suggested...

I think I'll change how the Head Coach works a bit too. Again, would like it a bit simpler.