Drafting races

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

DarthBLU
Rookie
Rookie

Drafting races

Post by DarthBLU »

Hi everyone!

Althoug we've been playing our league since 2003 we still have a problem with races repeating over and over again. This year we had four skaven teams! :?:

So I'm thinking in introducing a pre-season race-draft. Worst-record coaches pick first and the best coach picks last.

I like diversity but I also want people to use the new teams they have bought from crowdfundings so... one of our clubmates has explained me something called "trade up" that happens in NBA/NFL. One coach sells his pick-position to another coach. I don't know how to do this in BB, maybe giving 30/50k from your starting roster (so you start at 970/950k) to the coach that gives you his position (so he starts a 1030/1050k).

Any ideas/comments?

Reason: ''
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Re: Drafting races

Post by voyagers_uk »

well you could do it with Team cash, or if they are going to run the teams for more than 2 seasons you could use future picks to finance current picks. i.e. mortgaging the future on the now.

Maybe the both down boys have done something like this and can advise

Kilowoggy? Prime?

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

OFL does it. I'll attempt to give a precis, but there are several intermeshing systems which help it all work. A couple of those systems, first:

Eras: each team (or franchise) starts a 3-season era of 16 matches per season (plus playoffs). At the start of the era the team has 1150 to spend, and at the end of the era the franchise can be retired, protected, open (available for anyone) or continued (assuming you get the race you need in the draft). Retired franchises feed the Free Agent pool; protected franchises effectively go into stasis, but a coach can only protect one franchise at a time; franchises which are carried over into the next era will restart at 1150TV, and can franchise up to 3 players (dependent on the FA cap - a starting TV which can be spent on FAs and something which is traded in drafts) and must start with 11 players total.
Free agents: players from retired teams or non-franchised players (i.e. from teams which are continued but those players are not one of the 3 kept) go into a FA pool for each race. FAs can be bought for cost+30TV during the season or at cost at franchise creation, and a team can never have more than 3 FAs for a total cost of 600TV or less (this is the FA cap). The starting FA cap is dependent on the pick position: the higher in the draft you are the lower your starting FA cap. That cap goes back up to 600 after creation of the team so is only an initial restriction at the draft. There are odds for players retiring from the pool which vary depending on level and injuries. Any FA with more than 2 injuries automatically retires, as does any Legend player.
Pick Flags: This is a new one to come in next season, but basically each coach will get 3 flags which they can mark players with. Each flag is of a different tier (1 to 3) and will give a small increased chance of a boom (+stat or double) or bust (e.g. niggle or no skillup) after 6SPP. The fluff is for drafting players from the amateur pool: some will be good, some not so good.

For the draft each player is assigned a random number and then listed, highest first. 3 of each race are available for a 40 team league (this has changed with the introduction of another conference, but I'll leave it as this for simplicity).
Once the initial order is given the horsetrading begins. You can trade for Pick Flags, for FA cap, or for draft position, with a minimum of 5TV of FA cap for per draft position moved. So if you want a particularly popular race such as Chaos or Orcs then you need to trade up the draft, but less popular races can accumulate FA cap or Flags.
Once a final order is sorted the picking of races starts in order. If you have a team of a race which has no slots left then you can elect to protect the team, putting it in stasis. If you don't then it is considered open and anyone can take the team for themselves. If the team is open and not taken the the franchise is disbanded and the players all go to the FA pool. Obviously this can make for some tough decisions.

So, it's a fairly complex set of systems which balance themselves against each other. I'm not suggesting it is perfect but it seems to work and might give you a few ideas - the Pick Flags seems like the easiest thing to implement as a trading method.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Watch out though. Paying future picks for current season doesn't make much sense in that the receiving the later pick will end up with a second pick in the same year which doesn't make sense. And if they end up trading picks, that could work out to hurt the team depending on order of finish.

I might consider doing it the way the Three Die Block guys do it in one of their leagues. You own the rights to that race until you give it up. Then someone else can get the license to that team. You can work it into fluff very easily. When the team is available, you just give the rights to whomever is closest to the bottom of the league. It doesn't get you around using miniatures that you just bought if you don't have the rights to the team, but it does make it somewhat fair.

Otherwise, don't limit. Maybe this is just a freak coincidence? We've never limited team, it usually works itself out.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I like the idea of drafting races, but some coaches have lots of teams, others have few - and its really hard to decide fairly who gets to play what. If I was going to start play in a league where I knew there was four Skaven teams, I'd either pick a side that could grind them to bones (Chaos Dwarves, Dwarves) or a side that could compete on speed, yet still be more flexibile and bashy (High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen?).

Its not pure paper, rock, scissors but you can avoid neccessary legislation by being creative about your team choice. If you win a league title by exploiting mismatches then I'd hope your opponents learn accordingly - and your team composition will change organically.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

what about letting the person who finishes last pick races first and first place picks last. every coach picks until there are no teams left. if coaches are willing to lend teams out this works best

DarthBLU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DarthBLU »

Thanks for the opinions guys, I'll talk with my clubmates about all these options :smile: