CRaP Big Guys

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Re: CRaP Big Guys

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
wow - this Memory Lane looks cool. Let's go there. Look, the grass is even greener and all :wink:
But before anyone starts pining for the fjords:
Big guys weren't unreliable originally and it's the unreliability that makes them crap more than anything
Uhm, how originally are we talking?
AFAIK, when CRP was in Development, all the rookie big Guys had Big Guy skill. It meant that they couldn't use rerolls at all. And needed double the SPPs to skill.
Did they have access to G skills? I honestly don't remember, but that's the only source of reliability I can think of.

If they did have G, then perhaps a juggernaut-like S-skill that works on the players own blocks could be just what they need...
House rules territory, obviously.
we do listen when evidence is provided, but just your assertions are not good enough
Well everyone listened to Flix.....
For the record, I'm in the camp that agrees that CPOMB is too good. Even so, the "legend of Flix" bugs me, because it so wonderfully perpetuates the myth that the BBRC/PBBL-community intentionally ignored the perfect wisdom of FUMBBL coaches.

Jimmy, Voyagers_uk asked for evidence. That's not what you or Flix provided.

In PBBL Development there was a period of pure discussion. After that the project moved on to actual play feedback. Flix came in after that point. And while he was (arguably) right, he came late to the party alongside lots of other people - each pointing to an 'obviously' broken feature in PBBL. Do you know who else fits that description? Toby/Force. Lots, lots and zoggin' lots of rules were described as horribly broken. By lots of different people. Inducements? Broken! Journeymen? Broken! Regen teams? Broken! Broken, broken, broken.

Had someone - not necessarily Flix - arranged some high-TV (C)POMB games and posted up some revealing results, then perhaps CRP would have been different.

Cheers
Martin

Reason: ''
Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

2nd ed BB is original to me. That's what the game is all about.
Big guys took up 4 squares and counted as two players but didn't have bonehead etc.
And the fluff was that big guys were the hardest mens in BB and the fans liked them the most.
Now they are mostly left on the scrap heap, a suboptimal choice in almost every team that can take them.
Well I didn't want to sidetrack the thread which is why I just mentioned Flix rather than go on a big rant crying over spilled milk.
I wish I had been involved in the bbrc but there you go, we are stuck with what we have and nothing is gonna change, except houserules like this one.

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:2nd ed BB is original to me. That's what the game is all about.
Big guys took up 4 squares and counted as two players but didn't have bonehead etc.
And the fluff was that big guys were the hardest mens in BB and the fans liked them the most.
(...)
I remember 2nd edition.
With all due respect, it was a great game fluff-wise, but terrible to play. And bash was everything. To the point that my undead (all skeletons team) never scored a single TD in their career, yet won every game -by total removal of all 16 opponents-
Big guys were the mainstay of the teams, but that game was utterly broken.

Jimmy F, you are a killer coach with huge experience so I respect your opinions, on loner, negatraits and all... but 2nd edition is pure memory lane.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Oh I mean completely the fluff aspect - the mechanics where indeed atrocious.
And thanks :)